1 Minute Explainer Animation: Now Insta Stolen 😂

Interviewing some animators to make us little videos. Need a short project to evaluate their work.

I put together a quick script for a video. Would love some community input in making it short and concise and sense-making-ish.

Would you mind reviewing it and possibly recommending adjustments? :grimacing::+1:t2:

Think of it as the voiceover for a short animated video. Ideally will make sense in terms of timing and content for something animated.

Why Is My Vision Blurry Without Glasses?

Here we go, the short, short, extra short version on what’s up with your eyes seeing blurry.

Your eyeball is a fluid filled ball. In the front is a flexible lens that moves for near and far focus, and in the back is the ‘receiver’ for the light signal, the retina.

Lens in the front, retina in the back.

The alignment of the two is critical for clear vision. But it is a fluid filled ball, and this ball is not going to stay in perfect alignment without an active control mechanism.

This is why your eyes have a system built in to continuously adjust the axial length of your eyeball.

Now to fully explain this system would take a rather long video. If you’re curious about the extended version of the workings of the biology, check the link below for a lengthy and detailed explanation of the inner workings of the axial length adjustment mechanism.

But here’s the short version: Your eyeball is in a constant state of adjustment, based on where most the light focuses - on, in front of or behind the retina.

If light focuses in front of the retina, the eyeball will try to shorten - axial reduction.

If light focuses behind the retina, the eyeball will try to lengthen - axial elongation.

One of the reasons you started to need glasses was light focusing in front of the retina, rather than on it.

A major contributing cause for this can be a focusing muscle spasm - the lens in your eye uses a circular muscle to change shape. When you are focused up close, the muscle is tight. Keep that muscle tight for many hours a day, it will spasm.

It’s basically stuck in close-up mode. And instead of taking time to relax it, you may have gotten glasses. Note that you may be told you have some mysterious genetic condition or illness - though in actuality your eyes might be perfectly healthy!

Glasses will compensate for the muscle spasm by moving light back further in the eye. Even though the muscle is in “close-up mode”, the glasses now allow you to see clearly at a distance.

This “quick fix” has unintended consequences, however:

The distance glasses will now cause some of the light to focus behind the retina (called hyperopic defocus).

This sends a signal to your eyeballs to change axial length, elongating the eyeball to correct what it perceives as incorrect length. Your eyes don’t know about the glasses!

Now that your eyeball is longer, light will focus further in front of the retina (without glasses), and you are even more nearsighted than before.

Higher and higher correction glasses can continue to cause the eyeball to elongate, in many cases.

Curious to learn more?

A great resource to dive into all the science and studies on this Google Scholar: scholar dot google dot come. There are many thousands of peer reviewed clinical studies exploring axial elongation caused by glasses.

Search for lens induced myopia as a great starting point. Also explore the keywords pseudomyopia and NITM - near induced transient myopia.

Goal here, very short, 1-2 minute videos, explaining key concepts.

Put a few of them out there, see what they get for traction and feedback. Who knows whether they make any difference, attract a new audience, help endmyopia, … or just equate to ole Jakey burning money in his office trashcan (also fun, but of questionable community value).

Please do share any edits / clarifications you might see fit, in so many ways I feel like I can no longer repeat the same old things without being unsure of whether I still make any sense at all!

7 Likes

I like personification, check out this WWII cartoon for how to fly. They use characters to represent drag, lift, etc.

Ever see I Love Lucy? Have the cilliary be sort of like Lucy in the Chocolate Factory.

When you’re trying to focus on something up close (“accomodation”), the worker in your eye has to keep working as hard as she can to keep up with demand, which is fine if you just need to look at your phone for a few seconds or if you’re glancing down reading the address on an envelope.

But what happens if you’re staring at your phone for hours or you’re stuck taking a test in school where you can’t lift your head up from the page?

The cilliary can’t keep up with the demand and starts dropping balls (chocolates) and eventually goes into spasm where it can’t focus properly at all, and then our old enemy BLUR appears.

Maybe Cilliary Spasm and Blur are best friends… and so to try to make the impossible job of focusing the image on the back of the retina a little bit easier when the cilliary muscle has already accommodated at it’s max, they try to cheat by making the eyeball longer.

When you’re looking at things that are FAR AWAY the job for the cilliary muscle is EASY.
When you’re looking at stuff UP CLOSE the job is HARD.

Eventually BLUR and CILLIARY SPASM make the eyeball longer which makes the job of focusing UP CLOSE a little easier…

But it makes the job of bringing FAR AWAY things into focus IMPOSSIBLE.

This is called MYOPIA.

Tim Root MD has some nice cartoons

2 Likes

I read the short script out loud. Took me three minutes. If I were to chop some things off, I’d leave off these types of narration:

It sounds artsy and cool and all but does not help me visualize anything, so perhaps this part is not best placed in an animation format? Good for transition purposes but 1-2 mins. is a bit tight for this.

The video in the endmyopia.org was artsy and cool. Are we trying to make it sound less technical to gain more attention?

Maybe have a Director brain that watches what’s on a movie screen. The brain is the visual cortex, and it sees whatever is on the movie screen (retina). If the image gets blurry or out of focus the Director yells at the cameraman and tells him what to focus on.

The cilliary’s job is like a Cameraman to focus on whatever the Director wants to see up on the movie screen. But there’s a problem. The camera in the eye is designed to focus on things that are far away, and when the director wants to zoom in on something very close the cilliary has to pull a heavy lever very hard to get the camera to zoom in. The cameraman can do this, but he can’t do this for very long until he gets tired. The camera was designed to focus on distant stuff 90% of the time and near stuff 10% of the time.

But there’s a way to cheat! If the cilliary/cameraman is too tired to pull the lever hard enough to focus on something close to the camera, they can just push the movie screen back further from the projector to get it to focus. When this happens the cilliary doesn’t have to pull the lever as hard to get it to focus on nearby stuff, but because the screen has been pushed back, now the faraway stuff is a little blurry even when the zoom lever isn’t being pulled at all. And each time the screen gets pushed back, the camera can focus on close-up stuff more easily, which makes the Director happy, but then when he wants to focus on far-away stuff it’s impossible without putting a new lens in front of the camera.

So now when the Director calls for a far-away shot, there’s no way to get the camera to focus anymore unless they put another lens in front of the camera. (Eyeglasses or Contact lenses.) So they leave this lens in front of the camera all the time.

But now there’s a bigger problem, with the lens in front of the camera all the time to help focus on far-away stuff, when the Director asks the Cameraman to focus on close-up the cameraman has to pull the heavy zoom lever EVEN HARDER than before.

Eventually the camera is stuck in the zoomed-in state and the cameraman is too tired to move the lever anymore…

I think your existing script is too complex. You probably need to put on your marketing hat and think of what’s the “key message” you want the viewer to come away with.

• Too much time on the phone and computer is destroying your vision and making your eyes tired.
  • When your eyes can’t take it anymore they start getting longer, which makes close-up work easier but makes seeing at a distance impossible.
  • That’s why you started wearing glasses.
  • There is a way to make your eyes shorter again, and it starts with changing how you do your close up work.

That’s already a ton of stuff to cram into a short video. I don’t think “the eye is filled with fluid” will fit in a short video.

You could try a diet pill style commercial:

I kept getting stronger and stronger prescriptions from the eye doctor every year ​
They told me it was impossible to reverse my myopia
I found an easy way to stop needing stronger glasses every year
It turns out I don’t have a genetic problem at all, but eye strain was causing my problems
Now my glasses are 2 diopters weaker and I’m halfway to my goal of 20/20 vision without glasses

The google scholar stuff isn’t going to resonate with the mainstream. You might win over Otis Brown that way, but for mainstream you need faces of real people who are having some success and something easy that appeals to the “gimme the steps plzzzz bro” crowd. (unfortunately)

Maybe some celebrity or expert endorsement too.

The whole thing is kind of hard because you want to maintain some integrity and intellectual rigor, but if you want to appeal to the lowest common denominator you sort of have to be offering up something that appeals to people used to quick-fix and instant gratification.

Right now we have smartphones and mainstream retail optometry for the quick fix crowd. Bates Method and Eye Vitamins for the New Agers and Spiritualists. EndMyopia kind of gets the intellectual dissidents who are comfortable dealing with science and engineering but aren’t intimidated by experts telling them that their goal is impossible. Hackers and mad scientists and techno-hippies.

Are you just trying to grow EndMyopia or are you trying to branch out and make inroads into some different communities, or what are you trying to do?

1 Like

Why Is My Vision Blurry Without Glasses?

How does the eye work?

Our eyeball is filled with fluid. In the front is a flexible lens. This lens controls what we see … for near and far objects. In the back, is the retina. It receives the (light signal of the) near or far image that we see. So now we have, the lens in the front and the retina in the back.

When the two work together, we get clear vision.

Why do I have blurry vision?

For that we need to understand where the light falls. For clear vision, the light needs to fall on the retina, not in front or behind the retina. When it falls in front or behind the retina, we get blurry vision.

Why does the light not fall on the retina?

One reason for this can be a focusing muscle spasm. Yes, just like other parts of the body, the focusing muscle in the eye can also spasm! Remember we spoke about the flexible lens in front of the eyeball? This lens has a circular muscle which changes shape … to look near and to look far. When we look at near objects, the muscle is tight. When we look at far objects, the muscle is relaxed. The closer the object is to the eyes, the more the muscle contracts.

When we spend hours {playing games or studying on the phone/ reading books – maybe controversial sentence, may lead to children not studying but also fact! So …}, looking at things which are close up for may hours, it will spasm. It gets stuck … in close-up mode. Now, the light falls in front of the retina.

What do glasses do?

Well, let’s talk about what glasses don’t do first! They do not magically relax the focusing muscle. The focusing muscle remains stuck, in close-up mode. What glasses do is move the light further back in the eye, on the retina. Now you can see distant objects clearly. Voila! Problem solved! Wellll … not quite! The glasses will now cause some of the light to also focus behind the retina (called hyperopic defocus).

Hyperopic defocus … This sounds scientific and serious

It is scientific … and also a serious topic. Our eye isn’t this static, dumb thing. It is (drumroll) dynamic! It adjusts based on what you see around you. That’s right! Our eyeball keeps adjusting constantly, based on where most of the light focuses - on, in front of or behind the retina. It is a built-in mechanism. It continuously adjusts the axial length of the eyeball.

In short:

If light focuses in front of the retina, the eyeball will try to shorten - axial reduction.

If light focuses behind the retina, the eyeball will try to lengthen - axial elongation.

So, the story so far! We play a lot of games on the phone for hours … the focusing muscle in the lens spasms … the light falls in front of the retina (instead of on it) … our glasses move the light back onto the retina … some light falls behind the retina … our dynamic eyeball gets a signal to now elongate because some light is falling behind the retina. The eyeball doesn’t know it is the glasses that is doing this! It just knows that light is falling behind the retina … so it starts to elongate.

Now, the eyeball is longer. Without glasses, the light falls in front of the retina (not on it) … now we are even more near-sighted/ short-sighted/ myopic! {does this wording give an impression that we should wear glasses constantly?}

Higher and higher correction glasses/ “number” can continue to cause the eyeball to elongate, in many cases.

Want to learn more?

Check out these terms pseudomyopia, NITM – near induced transient myopia, axial elongation, lens induced myopia on Google Scholar: scholar (dot) google (dot) com

Also, for a longer explanation about the workings of the biology, check the link below in the description box.

NOTE –

. Script for those aged 8-16 years roughly/ who may not be into or understand science much (in one go – like me)/ whose first language is not English.

. ‘we’ used instead of ‘you’, to sound as if we all are in the same boat where myopia is concerned, rather than the isolating ‘you’

. should ciliary muscle/ pseudomyopia/ NITM just be written on the screen when the explanation + animation video is going on or could it be distracting? Retina and axial change should be enough for this basic video. A lot of terms could confuse the viewer (maybe, except at the end of the video?)

3 Likes

Like has already been mentioned, the script is a little heavy for a 1-2 minute intro. Also as mentioned not everyone responds well to being hit with the science out the gate. Also referal to the myopia 101 animation might be quite sufficient to cover the longer story for the ciliary and retina.

I took the liberty of doing a rewrite (hope that is ok) and had a few notes on animation as I imagined it, tried to keep that down to a minimum leaving room for artistic license, here is what I got for 1-2 minute intro:

Did you ever wonder how the doctor could tell you that your eyes are perfectly healthy but you still need stronger correction? Or correction at all for that matter?
The fact is, your eyes are perfectly healthy. Your refractive state of myopia is not a medical condition it is just your perfectly healthy eye responding to the stimulus it is being given. The modern world is FULL of stimulus that induces myopia (this part of the animation would probably include an onslaught of various screens but maybe some books too, as we well know that was the vice for some of use before screen addiction).
And to top it off the corrective lenses themselves cause even more myopia thanks to the one size fits all approach of wearing distance correction for all applications. Spoiler alert! Distance vision correction is not intended for close up. This “quick fix” causes further stimulus that actually worsens myopia through what is a well known and documented condition known as axial elongation (I expect the animation can cover a lot here without having to actually narrate it, as far as the light focus on the retina close and far, how the lens effects both and ending with the eye lengthening as the voice over gets to the end).
Enter Jake Steiner (scratching his beard obviously :wink: ) “What if the stimulus were reversed?” “What if instead of going up, up, up we tried walking it back down?”
Through a fair amount of trial and error and with the help of willing participants a method started to take shape that not only proved that the eye would adapt to this stimulus as well, but that myopia was in fact reversible!
Rather you wear contacts or glasses, the Endmyopia method is now a tried and true method to successfully reduce your dependence on correction little by little over time, and not interfere with your ability to engage in day to day living. No backfiring “quick” fix, just a working method for leveraging correction to reverse a process you never intended to participate in. And it works for people of all ages!
You inadvertently took a long walk down myopia road, but now you can turn around and head back the way you came. (the road animation seems kind of obvious here…)
Now obviously this is the super short, concentrated, boiled down version and there is much more to it. But, if you want to start reclaiming your vision go to endmyopia.org and have a look around.
Do you have doubts? Don’t take my word for it. Explore the science for yourself; a great resource to dive into all the science and studies on this is Google Scholar: scholar dot google dot com. Search: pseudomyopia and NITM - near induced transient myopia, lens induced myopia and axial elongation

For more about the mechanisms in your eye and how they respond to stimulus follow up with this video (this is where we drop a referral to the myopia 101 video that covers this quite well).

4 Likes

The first test animation video is DONE.

11 Likes

Nice! There’s just one thing that bothers me. In the animation of the eyeball it looks like the light focuses on the blind spot (optic nerve) instead of the fovea… :frowning: The fovea should be exactly opposite to the pupil. That’s where the light needs to focus for clear vision!

It’s making the Insta rounds …

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CPlNG8kjRnY/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CPlgFShnLjj/

Of course linking to my own Insta which has no reference to endmyopia, and also the video doesn’t have proper endmyopia references. Learning curve! :joy:

@NottNott would not approve.

6 Likes

The video came out great! Is this the same animator who did Improvement Pill’s video? Whoever you used did a great job.

Also, the comments are fantastic. Some youtubers are recommending you for a Nobel Prize (don’t know if they’re on the nominating committee or not but it’s a nice gesture anyway). One of the insta people asks “so what’s the solution, LASIK?”

The instagram that picked you up has 300k viewers and looks like they do a lot of conspiracy memes, people like that who are already dissatisfied with mainstream BS “treatments” are naturals for something DIY that actually works like EndMyopia.

It’s a ton of information packed into a one minute video.

Instacommenter: “endmyopia.com doesn’t exist” --Need to beef up the trade dress a little bit for when your videos get taken down and re-uploaded (or just spread out onto other platforms.)

I guess on the plus side anybody who manages to find you here after watching that is at least savvy enough to type your name into a search engine and dedicated enough to track you down.

5 Likes

Indeed. First video learning experiences. :joy:

Not the same. The issue was finding a decent animator, and if I’d started with developing a style and character it would have turned into an extra long road. So I just let the first video be “whatever” mainly wanting to see how well the animator applicants would do the job.

Next ones will be a less copycat style.

5 Likes

Love it!
Only thing for me was I wish the lens moved a bit more in the animation, but I guess that is what the other video on endmyopia.org does, so that already exists.
This is great, Jake.

5 Likes

I love the animation and the voiceover so much! I’m glad it’s receiving the love it deserves :smile:
Definitely a communication style that fits the era we live in.

Oh man this just made me realise how useful a short animation would be to shatter the public’s illusions in LASIK. I realise that LASIK surgeons actually count on people having no idea how eyes and refraction work for people to believe that they are “curing” their eyes and paying for the procedure. Or maybe people know and still go along with it but I seriously doubt it. The idea of putting my eyes under that laser machine makes me :grimacing:

4 Likes

I shall add it to the list. The animator is now “full time” which might mean about 4 2-3 minute animations per month.

5 Likes

Reaching a new audience with Instagram. Might also like to do the similar videos for TikTok, That is the place with the most eyeballs are.

5 Likes

Yikes. WTF. Attacking multiple enemies at once is not a sensible strategy. If you are going to do a video on lasik do it under different branding. Completely separate from EndMyopia and unrelated to vision improvement.

3 Likes

Good point.

Wonderful trying!

How glasses impair your vision in Russian!

The Russian Endmyopia community:

2 Likes