-13 Diopters, -3.25 Astigmatism, and a Detached Retina

Hafa Adai & Hello Endmyopia community,

My name is Matt - I’ve lived with myopia my whole life. I was born and raised on the island of Saipan (U.S. Commonwealth) and have moved to Hawai’i and Washington State since. At a very young age, I was said to have been looking at objects very closely and going right up to TV screens to see things clearer. At 6 months old, my mom took me to an optometrist and I received my first pair of glasses. Right after, I as taking in everything around me and pointing every which way in amazement. Although I was in awe, this was also the beginning of my glasses dependency.

Fast forward to elementary school, I had a terrible eye accident. Long story short, I was in recess one day about to greet a new student who was pulling down on a rope. This rope had one end tied to a tree and the other tied to a volley ball pole with a tire at the bottom. As I got closer, the new student let go of the rope which flung the pole towards me. One of the little hooks that you hook the net onto flew forward and struck me in my right eye. I was iced up by my teachers, in extreme pain, and was sent home early. We didn’t think much of it until I had a physical exam and realized that my vision was getting darker in my right eye. Upon further inspection, I found out I had a detached retina.

As the years went on, I underwent several surgeries to re-attach my retina in my right eye. They put in an oil bubble which I had to lay facedown as much as I could for at least a year. The doctors also decided to remove the lens in my right eye (to prevent other issues from coming up). My prescription for my left eye progressively became worse over time with each visit to the optometrist pushing for a higher and higher prescription. My right eye eventually had a re-attached retina, but my vision compromised greatly.

By the time I found out about Jake and Endmyopia, I had graduated college (back in 2017). I’ve struggled with the concepts but by now, I’ve finally got a better grasp on what I need to do. My current prescription is -13 diopters, -3.25 cyl and a balance for my right eye (because the trauma endured rendered my right eye to be of little help).

This is my story, thanks for tuning in. I’m happy to join everyone here to understand more about what I can do to help myself reach the best vision I naturally can. If anyone in the WA State / Pacific Northwest area knows of any supportive optometrists or ophthalmologists, please let me know!

Thanks Jake and Endmyopia, I’ve been following the podcasts and I know this has been a blessing for many people. I hope one day to find myself on the podcast with great improvement!!!

8 Likes

Hi Matt, welcome!
This sounds heavy and I think I have never heard of -13 diopters.
Vision improvement is all about avoiding long close-up vision and having a distance active focus habit, which works best with textfields.
In fact there is not much needed.

The only challenge is to integrate that habit in your life without changing your life or with changing your life in a better direction.

Have you found that habit already?
If not, what do you like to do in your free time?

1 Like

Hey thanks Tony,

Yeah, my diopter number is higher than anyone else I know. Optometrists I’ve been to have prescribed me as high as -16.75 (kinda crazy to think about).

That’s solid advice on the habits. I do a lot of computer screen time due to work, so close-up has been a necessity. I’ve got a pair of differential glasses that’s been helping. Otherwise, I try to get outdoor time as much as I can - walking, hiking, just started biking, and driving.

I don’t believe I’ve fully found active focus. It may have something to do with my right eye having suffered the detached retina as well as not having a lens. I rely just on my left eye when I wear glasses, so maybe there’s a disconnect there? In any case, I’m doing my best! It’d be a miracle if one day I can reverse this situation completely. Thanks!

1 Like

You shoudn’t be doing balance in your glasses, since as far as I know the oil bubble has like +7 diopters, and you’re subjecting your right eye to an extreme amount of hyperopic defocus. You’d really like to leave it plano or if your other eye has enough visual acuity, to find out the new right prescription for it.

Haven’t they installed the IOL instead of your natural lens? If so, you need only plano correction for your right eye in order to prevent issues, as well as plus prescription for close up!

Hey thanks miffiffi,

I haven’t considered putting in an IOL before, and no they didn’t replace my natural lens. Thanks for the idea, I’ll ask my ophthalmologist on my next visit.

Also, I’ve had the oil bubble extracted out of my right eye about a year and a half after my initial surgery, so there’s no concern on that.

“Long story short” at the next level ! :joy: :joy:

Welcome to endmyopia mate.

Your right eye is aphakic? If so, it has high hyperopia instead of high myopia. Maybe that interferes with AF.

Removing the lens is a medieval murder type of procedure, it may have terrible effects on neuromuscular system, as well as “replacing” it with artificial “lens”. I hope you’ll find AF (and who knows, you can solve your other eye) soon enough. Best wishes :+1:

1 Like

I’m surprised they didn’t replace your lens. If your ciliary muscle isn’t moving a lens, I don’t know if active focus would work for you. (not all implanted lenses are mobile anyway) Some myopic defocus could still be good for what remains of your retina. Two hours of myopic defocus plumps up the layer that nourishes the retina, but it thins out just as easily. If your ciliary is still moving as if the lens was there, that also could improve the flow of aqueous fluid in your eye. I wouldn’t give up on active focus, you could still work on the visual cortex getting better at deciphering the information from your repaired retina. There’s probably missing rods/cones while others were reattached at a slightly different place than where they were, and the brain has to re-learn how to see what the eye sees. Look at the blog posts on equalization to force the brain to work with that eye.

check it out: -26 diopters

this is crazy, blur would start at 4 cm

Oh right, with no lens you would need a strong positive lens to focus the image. It’s there not enough retina left to be worth trying? Can you see anything through a pinhole from that eye?