-1D, had active focus but blur adapted

Hi everyone.

I have first know about Endmyopia few years ago, like three, but at the time I did not did anything specific asside not wearing glasses ^^ but I had and have found active focus since.

As strange as it seems, I am not primarily concerned about my myopia itself, it is more a side problem to me. Since few years I am quite sensible to light in the evening. It is not technically light sensibility (I don’t care during the day), it is something named “eye strain”, based on what I can find on the Mayo Clinic website.

So basically, my dry eyes (computer usage) and the lack of correction are responsible for this ^^ I have seen an ophtalmologist, there is nothing else to worry about.

I like Jake’s content, and I am glad to have seen the growth of the endmyopia wiki since few years. Because I like this content, I am skeptical as much, to avoid confirmation biais. I have read some reviews on myopia/axial elongation etiology and found nothing that contradict the approach of endmyopia.

In summary :

• My RX, the prescription, is of -1D, for each eyes. Funny enough, I was wearing glasses at high school and Uni (to see what the teacher was writing,and just this) and got also an other prescription later than I have never weared. Both were equal and stronger than this, so, or I was over corrected, or my myopia regressed already.

• I got a prescription of eyes drop. I did some research this morning, the eyes drop are preservative free ^^

• I am blur adapted. It is obvious for me and the ophtalmologist mentionned it to me.

Here is my current thought process/course of action :

• I plan to wear my glasses only in the evening if I go out, to rest my eyes. It is the use I have for them. I think active focus can be a double edge sword for the last diopter : inducing positive stimulus, but creating eye strain for end of day.

• I am looking to remove the blur adaptation. I have two glasses, one for bike and one casual. I am looking for the best frequency to wear them to reminds the brain than world is not blurry at all. I have already a lot more of active focus since I wear them by intermitence.

• I have my eyes drops. So, I did try them, and i was able to go out in the evening without eye strain at all. I did not slept well sometimes when I took some, and I was worried about their content/potential side effect (I have been with insomnia problems, problems that I cured alone with the help of scientific litterature, other reason why I am quite sensible to the approach of endmyopia, but also slightly paranoid on sleep ^^). But turns out they are preservative free ^^ I do think that I maybe slept weirdly because of something else when I am taking them. So, I plan to try them again in a controled environment, to see the effect ^^

I am currently going from one job to an other, so I have a bit of time to see this. Writting this post is also a way to help me organized my thought ^^

If someone have testimony on blur adaptation, or last diopter, or eye strain, I would be happy to hear about this ^^. I have already listened to the differents podcast on people on last diopters ^^

What else to say. I did biology studies, a bit of phd of medecine. I am in IT now, working on computer. I do a bit or a lot of smartphone depending of the day, including for pokemon go. But I do like to bike for pokemon go, and not really like to look at my screen all the time (pogo is more helpfull than problematic I think, it induced a lot of healthy habits).

1 Like

Welcome to the forum

Sandra collected a lot of useful things to know about low myopia here:

1 Like

For Eye Strain I like low-powered plus lenses (reading glasses or computer glasses) for use at the computer. Maybe experiment with a pair of +0.5 as your differentials see if it’s of any use to you.

For Dry Eye or other ocular surface diseases castor oil is cheap and extremely useful. A few dollars of castor oil might last you a year or two.

Jake has very nice videos on blur adaptation and last diopter. I found the technique he recommends of walking around the city at night with distance correction, and doing the same walk again in the day without correction to be helpful, also having the glasses to try and use them like an “answer key” is handy. See if you can clear something up completely without the glasses, check and see if you got it right with the glasses. You want to get a sense of what “maximum clarity” is supposed to look like to use as your reference image.

The mechanism of action appears to be multifaceted, including direct effects on tear film structure and function. The lipophilic nature of castor oil allows it to effectively supplement the tear film lipid layer by mimicking the natural lipid layer to stabilise the tear film, decrease evaporation and presumably reduce friction between the lids and ocular surface.103,105,106 Symptomatic improvement has been reported in dry eye disease and meibomian gland dysfunction patients, with only a small quantity of castor oil being required to effect significant improvements in tear film quality.70 The polar nature of the ricinoleic acid molecule may be advantageous in lipid deficiency, since polar lipids are a critical component of the tear film lipids and play an important role in tear film spreading and stability.107

An expanding literature on the safe and effective use of castor oil, a natural derivative of the Riccinus communis plant, is providing increasing supporting evidence of its potential as a convenient, therapeutic solution for a range of ocular surface diseases. Clinical management of these common yet extremely challenging conditions is hampered by a relative dearth of commercially available therapeutic options that results in restricted access to treatment for many affected individuals. Increasing access to a range of evidence‐based management strategies, through the development and validation of simple and effective new therapeutic solutions, would be beneficial.

Castor oil is widely recognised for its anti‐inflammatory, anti‐nociceptive, antioxidant, anti‐microbial, insecticidal properties, as well as for its safety and tolerability. A review of the recent literature on the use of castor oil when formulated as a topical eye drop reveals clinically significant improvements in symptoms and clinical signs of ocular surface disorders, with minimal or no adverse effects. Dry eye disease that occurs secondary to a wide spectrum of lid disorders, most commonly characterised as anterior blepharitis and meibomian gland dysfunction, is deserving of attention from clinician scientists, in developing and validating a broader range of effective therapeutic options for affected individuals.

Evidence of beneficial effects on the lipid layer, tear film integrity, eyelash health and meibomian gland functionality, suggests that topical application of pure castor oil to the periocular skin may offer a safe, natural, affordable and effective management option for common abnormalities of the tear film and ocular surface, indicating that a more extensive and thorough exploration of this topic is warranted.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for this, I did not see the recap !

1 Like

Nice, I am going to try this. Always happy to have possibilities of actions, I have big doubts on my currents drops as I said.

Thanks for sharing the references too !

I am reading the review, are you meant to put the castor oil like eye drop, on your eye, or do a “periocular” application?

1 Like

I put it on a cotton ball or clean finger tip and gently rub it over a closed eye and the eyelashes after shower or washing face. A little goes a long way. It keeps the eyelid moisturized and it works its way from the lid margins to the ocular surface.

Castor oil is really thick, I think if you were to put it right in the eye there would be too much of it and it would just ooze out. Periocular application works fine.

You want “cold-pressed hexane-free” castor oil (which is what they usually sell at the drug store, it’s still cheap), I think there may be some industrial versions where they use hexanes to extract oil, which you wouldn’t want in your eyes. I haven’t had any problems with this brand, price was about $4.

1 Like

Thanks, I will look into this.

Quick updates :

• I tried the eyes drops, and it does not create any trouble for sleep.

• The post provided by @BiancaK was really enlightening. Especially regarding the straining of eyes in low myopia in front of computer.