20/20 Sprint Challenge!

When I get the time, I’m going to make a video and post here and to the Facebook page, but for starters, I’m giving myself a 100 day 20/20 sprint challenge. I’m getting ready to hit the 6 year mark, and I want to see if I can get myself over the finish line. Thus, 4 commitments over the next 100 days:

1. No more than 1 minutes at a time of looking at text on my smart phone
  2. Active Focus all the time as @Dtnsg describes in his post on “passive focus”
  3. Look for anything I can do after my kids go to bed (8:00 - 8:30 PM) that isn’t screen time and involves some active focus
  4. Plus lens walks, as @jakey recommended to me in the upcoming endmyopia podcast style episode to be posted

Who’s up for a sprint challenge along with me? What plateau can you bust through over the next 100 days? Here we go!

9 Likes

I like number 1 - the phone can be addictive.

1 Like

And here’s the video:

6 Likes

Well Matthew, I just finished watching your interview with Jake and it was so very inspiring!
Good luck with that last bit of myopia :wink:

1 Like

Thanks! It’s a long haul and requires seemingly endless patience, but worth it. The moments when I have really good 20/20 clarity with no glasses are just so rich, beautiful and vibrant that it makes the whole 6 year effort worth it.

3 Likes

Finding this one a bit late, but funny enough I am going for #1 there. I’m starting small by saying no browser time on phone except for email, and then slowly peel away reasons I use my phone for extended periods of time. This should be easier now that I’ll be working at home because of quarantine.

2 Likes

Hi @MattE
Two months to date now - about 60 days - how are you doing?

1 Like

Thanks for asking. Smart phone use for text is pretty much eliminated. I’ll look at something now and again, but very rarely for more than a minute.

On the other stuff, I’ve had some interesting insights and developments. Basically, prior to this point, my mindset was, “how little minus do I need to function?” Now that I can function in most circumstances without any glasses, but acuity is highly variable, I’m using a -1.50 sometimes to get myself a very clear frame of reference. Rather than thinking of how little minus I can get by with, I’m asking, “how much minus can I tolerate?” What this does is allows me to establish clear vision, then take the glasses off and hang on a higher level of clarity without glasses until I need them again to re-establish clear vision.

I was planning to do a video on this at the end of the 100 days. As far as clarity goes, I don’t think my acuity has moved much yet, but I’ll do a more thorough check again at the end of the 100 days.

2 Likes

I am working on -1.75 -1.50 and it seems like I have really great clarity things look HD but then I start to struggle without the glasses. I am equalizing and dropping out all cyl so my right eye sees better which makes me constantly have to check individually what I am seeing.
Not sure what happened but over the weekend my no glasses eyesight is so strained I just cant stand it. Anyway my plan is to try and be more diligent in wearing my lenses and see if this helps.

2 Likes

Yeah, it gets interesting as the diopters decrease. The no glasses variability seems to increase more. There’s a lot of trial and error involved. One thing I’m certain of is that we need to give ourselves at least short doses of the level of clarity we want so that we’re always looking for it.

Still, -1.75 / -1.50 is good. Keep it up!

3 Likes

I just saw your challenge, Matt. Excellent! I loved the video and I loved the action points. I agree I need to start on 1 for sure, too. I’ve got a smart phone with a larger screen which makes it so much more tempting to use compared to a smaller screen. So audio books for sure. Love them. And text to speech. And then trying to be mindful when I start texting or using the evil device, that I can’t just hang out on it for more than 30 seconds. I think that’s a great start.

Weather here is cold and windy and cloudy a lot. But in the next 2 weeks things should start to warm up a little. At least enough to go outside without risking frostbite or hypothermia. At this point, my distance active focus is while driving and while staring out a window at home. The latter is super boring because my yard and street rarely change. Oh well. It’s better than nothing.

I’ve been without astigmatism correction and equalized for over a year now. It’s kind of awesome. And my glasses are super cheap because of it. Like $11.50 a pair. Good luck Jenn on your improvement and way to go! You’ll get there!

I’m just a big ole slacker when it comes to working on vision improvement the last 4 months. I haven’t lost much, if any clarity over the winter. So I will call it a win. Now I am really looking forward to summer!

Lets all of us hit it hard this summer and really get those 20/20 gains!

3 Likes

Text to speech is good. Turns out that some public domain works of literature are available on podcast for free now, so that’s worth searching for.

Winter’s no good for distance active focus, but that’s just how it is. Opportunities for more are coming. As we all keep saying, that’s the beauty of habits. They carry you through the times when you’re not actively “working” on your vision.

Cheap glasses - yes - I"ve probably bought 13 or 14 pairs and still spent less than I did for the -5.00 lenses I bought from the optic shop years ago.

1 Like

Results: video posted below. Quick summary -

Was it a success? If success is defined as getting over the last hump to clear, consistent 20/20 vision without glasses, then no. If success is defined as knowing what the next steps are on my journey back to 20/20, then yes.

Key lessons and insights:

1. Facebook and email are off my smart phone, and I don’t use my smart phone for reading text anymore. There’s nothing I’ll ever see on my phone that is as beautiful as 20/20 no glasses vision.

2. After 27 years in glasses, I never understood that I could relax my eyes inside minus lenses. From the first pair of glasses I ever got, they always caused tension. Thanks to @Dtnsg and his thoughts on “passive focus,” I’ve figured out how to relax my eyes while wearing minus lenses. I reduced too fast in the past at least in part because it was so hard for me to comfortably wear minus lenses. This is now solved.

3. Consequently, in combination with insights from “Psycho-Cybernetics” by Maxwell Maltz, I get what Jake has said all along, which is that we have to give our eyes and brain a clear picture of our goal / target of 20/20 vision. This is why reducing too quickly is bad. Now, though I sometimes get clear flashes to 20/20 and really don’t need glasses to live life, I still need to daily give my eyes and visual cortex that good clear vision. By relaxing my eyes, I can do this for as long as needed with minus lenses.

4. I use the snellen app on my phone and let my daughter or wife test me so that I have objective measurements that aren’t distorted by my intense desire to see clearly and therefore tell myself that I’m seeing better than I am. My wife and daughter make me tell myself the truth.

5. Going to use some -1.5 for the moment for the “intermittent glasses wearing” concept. I compare this to stepping back when you have a plateau in another area (in the video, I talk about how I’ve applied this to practicing the trumpet). Relax, physically and psychologically, practice easily, give yourself a clear picture of the target, and you’ll know when you’re ready to proceed and challenge yourself again. Practicing with strain and tension is almost always counterproductive.

All said, I feel really good about where I am. I can enjoy life without glasses most of the time, and for the first time in years, I can use glasses comfortably to give me clarity when I need it. Mistakes and setbacks are all just feedback and part of learning what doesn’t work, so that we get to a point where we do what does work.

6 Likes

Although I am not in the same dioptor range yet and I am currently stuck in my progress of the left eye, I too can see better without correction than I have been able to most my life! And I have to keep reminding myself of that fact especially with the current struggle. I am clearing up DV a bit but the swings through out the day a frustrating.
I am refusing to go up in my lenses for now but at the end of the 3 month time I will reevaluate that idea. My right eye improves faster than the left but the left is super dependent on the right. It’s a challenge. Wearing my glasses I can feel like I see 20/20 but the reality is I dont see great with both eyes just the right and this makes things look clear but with a bit of struggle. So I close the right to check my left clarity and then it all looks like crap 20/50 or 20/70. Luckily i have only .50 dioptors to balance out but it does pose a dilemma. I dont think i can tolerate an increase to my right but may need to increase my left.
But you are correct that in the struggle having other people here in le meow to speak with helps encourage the process.
:smiley:

5 Likes

Sounds like a good plan!

Thanks for your feedback and keep at it!!

1 Like

Hi @MattE
Great summary in your post and in your video of your challenge. Congratulations on the insights you achieved! :trophy:

I am inspired by your experience how to relax your eyes and how to passive focus. I looked up this post you refer to of @Dtnsg and will try to learn from it.

"Psycho-Cybernetics” by Maxwell Maltz seems like a great book.
It nicely points out the importance for your brain of setting a goal and how it can really influence and help you to reach that goal by really convincing yourself that you CAN get there. I have work to do there. :weight_lifting_man::smile:

You are absolutely right that being together on this forum to stimulate, share and inspire each other is also key to keep going on the road to 20/20.

I am interested in your sales approach to spark interest in EM in other people. Sofar I myself have not been succesful much in that area. It keeps amazing me why people don’t see the simple logic behind the idea of EM. That they rather let their eyes deteriorate year after year by wearing stronger and stronger glasses. Worse is, that they allow their children to do that as well.
I would like people to go investigating EM as we have and start the journey to a better vision and more healthy eyes.

2 Likes

We were once all frogs in the pot, not even noticing the increasing temperature! But who needs the work of doing active focus and the bother of knowing what a diopter and a PD are for Zenni orders when we have contacts lenses, fittings, and Lasik/PRK?

I’ll take the long, hard, slow, magically rewarding way every time.

:crazy_face:

Thanks!

@Dtnsg has done magnificently in reducing his myopia. I’ve heard active focus also referred to as “conscious focus.” Sometimes just hearing the same ideas in different words can really help to bridge gaps in understanding.

I think, if we really understand what Psycho-Cybernetics says, we might not need any other books on general self-development. Specifics are always needed for each area, such as EM for improving eyesight, but the general principle are all there in Dr Maltz’s work.

As I have time, I’ll work up what I have in terms of trying to get others interested in EM. Commitments to work and making sure my kids are okay through this quarantine time when they can’t play with other kids outrank hobbies / EM. The logic of EM is simple, but what I think is needed (as in other sales, particularly of services) is to understand what makes people take action, which is usually pain of some sort. This can include eyestrain, frustration with deteriorating vision, medical issues, or the cost of overpriced glasses. Talking about that stuff first and offering people small steps seems a better approach to me.

@kem I’m for the long, slow road, too. Some day, all my peers who aren’t listening to me now and going to be busting out their reading glasses when I don’t need any glasses anymore and probably talking about how Matt is “just lucky” that he doesn’t need glasses.

4 Likes