670nm Visible Red Light Therapy Improves Old Eyes

Cheap try-at-home stuff that might be useful for oldsters, need $10 red LED 670nm flashlight.

Or try the free version Stare at this light for 3 minutes per day to improve your declining eyesight

The study: https://tinyurl.com/23nbruke

The CNN version

Not sure if this is the same one as below:

@AznDudeIsOn Red light increases color sensitivity for 40+?

Edit: Looks like it is Optically Improved Mitochondrial Function Redeems Aged Human Visual Decline | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A | Oxford Academic

Has anyone here tried this?

2 Likes

Seems like a great way to sell $10 flashlights for $30…

I promise I didn’t start out this cynical…

2 Likes

Indeed. It sounds like 620nm - 700nm red lights also work . This guy has a lot of research gathered (as well as expensive lights).

https://redlightman.com/blog/red-light-restores-vision-and-eye-health/

Going out in the sun with red sunglasses or a red transparency might work. A lot of the light-therapy devices have near-infrared or infrared lights and I doubt staring into those is a good idea (hard to know if you’re overdoing it or not…)

Visible red light… why not?

1 Like

any candle flame will do. It doesnt have to be lights

2 Likes

But… but… 670nm LED’s sound so much more scientific than candles!

In all seriousness though I think candles would throw out a pretty broad spectrum of light, has anyone tested it for night-vision improvement?

R9364a3d28f32beaf95311c1639732612

candle

1 Like

@Sharada did/ does the candle thing (if my memory is not mistaken).

1 Like

I used to. The first time when I was gazing at the flame, clearing the blur that it presented, in a dark room, was the very first week of my EM journey.

The next morning, I had serious double vision. Jake has spoken about the visual cortex taking time to adjust to what the eyes could see, in one of his videos. (I would have freaked out, had I not known that. Hence, so very important to read/ do one’s research. The Eye Guru knows what the Eye Guru knows!)That, right there was the biggest improvement, overnight. Ciliary spasm release or who knows what! But eyesight was much, much better.

When I looked out the window, I could “see”. Technically, I was at -3.75 contacts and specs but this was way better than that. (-2.00 ultimately). Went running to the eye doc (to check if vision had really improved. Doctor knows best was very hard to shake off)…

After that though, progress was steady.

4 Likes

Well, I’m self-experimenting with some red LED flashlights similar to those used in the London study. If you don’t hear back from me in 2 weeks it means I went blind (or deaf, or something.)

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/992/1/012061/pdf

1 Like

Why not try out the candle/ flame? The worst that could happen -

1. 2 hands clap beside your ear, a la Conjuringđź‘». Blind/deaf naahhh. More likely to have a heart attack.

2. Could make you some kind of Guru :nerd_face:. Light and enlightenment go hand in hand…

2 Likes

I’d probably get distracted by an “important phone call” and burn the whole city down…

Mrs_OLeary's_cow

2 Likes

Very brief video with some nice charts and background on light therapy treatments for blinding diseases:

Excellent introductory article with technical information:

Mechanisms of Low Level Light Therapy

http://photobiology.info/Hamblin.html

So, after two weeks of using the $6 LED flashlight for 3 minutes a day I haven’t suffered any noticeable ill effects. I bought 3 flashlights and ended up using the weakest one.
I’m noticing some more colors (shades of yellows and purples, I wasn’t expecting that) but it’s a subtle effect (that started on day 4). My night vision is noticeably better. I can’t quite see in the dark with superhuman powers but I can read the Snellen chart in much lower light than before.

I’m happy with the results. It’s low-cost and low effort.

On day 4 the color difference between the microfiber cleaning cloth and the yellow envelope on my table became very obvious (I hadn’t paid any attention to it before.) I notice a lot more yellow things for some reason. I’m not sure it will show up on the screen well.

3 Likes

Please be sure to check which wavelengths your LED light emits. Some emit more than 1 wavelength, particularly those for skin therapy. There are scholarly articles you can research that link IR exposure to the development of cataracts.

1 Like

Yes, you are right many of the red light therapy devices (sold as such) have a mix of IR LEDs and red LEDs. The little red flashlights are just red LEDs and aren’t sold as therapy devices.

I didn’t want IR LEDs and they’re not in the flashlights. I checked on a spectrometer: they’re putting out from about 630 to 670 nm which is acceptable to me. The IR cataracts “glassblower’s cataracts” tend to happen to people who work in engine rooms or furnaces (getting hit with a whole lot of IR). Most TV remotes use IR LEDS. It would probably be OK to to use red-light therapy devices that have a mix of IR LEDS for three minutes, but why tempt fate?