7 years progress report

Dear all and fellow kittehs,

I want to thank Jake (thank you @jakey !) and share my experiences here with you. Seven years ago (I am 32 now) I had more than 4 diopters on each eye, probably around 4.5. Now without glasses I
regularly see 20/20 (but surely not always) in daylight (also cloudy daylight). I am using 0.75 normalised when needed (and 1.75 for night driving). My vision is much worse of course in low light, indoor light, during stressful situations, rapid movement and changing situations. I did not test my eyes at the worst point, the worst test I got was about 4.25 in each eye, with less than 1 diopter
astigmatism I think. I do not have the exact numbers any more. I feel a little bit ashamed that I did not participate more here in this forum and anywhere else online, as I have benefitted so much from such communities (thank you @MattE , @Dtnsg and others :slight_smile: ), but I am kind of a shy internet person (though not in real life). I talk about this to some of my friends, one of them already improved from about 1.5 diopters to zero. So I hope other people will benefit now from some information here. Although all the information one needs for vision improvement is, of course, in this forum, on youtube and the on the wiki etc., maybe some folks resonate with or can relate better to this perspective of vision improvement, as I have spent a lot of time closely observing my vision, making many mistakes and trying almost anything concerning vision improvement I ever read (over a few years).
Spoiler: six years after my first ciliary spasm relief (one year ago), only paying attentention to peripheral vision gave me regular and consistently reproducable clear flashes, which have turned into easy/automatic (passiv) active focus. Some have suggested here maybe to give active focus another name, as the “active” may be misleading. I think the “active” may be the right word when you are at the very beginning, when you realize how your eyes work. However, after some time (months?) the “active” may not be so important, as automatic could be a more accurate term, at least as I experienced it (and it cost me a lot of time and effort trying to make active focus work by using my eyes actively, which did not really work out for me after all).

My long story: I got glasses when I was about 10, standard progress, getting more diopters, hated glasses and had always tired eyes, tried to improve my vision when I was 15, read every book and internet information I could find back then (including Bates, Aldous Huxley and others), did all the exercieses for weeks, but no hints of success at all and gave up. Somehow I was convinced that vision improvement should be possible, just getting stronger glasses after going to the optomotrist every time seemed really unnatural and the worst thing that can happen if you do not see very well. It is just treating symptoms while making the actual problem even worse. But as I did not really understand how it worked and experienced no positive results I just went on with my life. My vision got worse over the years. I came across Jake and started my vision improvement again in
spring 2014, read everything I could find (also again other vision improvement books, forums etc.), and somehow released my ciliary spasm (trying to do active focus). The relief took me several weeks, mostly by paying attention to how the eyes accommodate and work at near and far vision.
I watched all of Jake videos, many of them over and over to really grasp all bits of information. I also read all literature of any author again I could find. I even participated in a real life vison improvement program for a day, it was really crappy, teaching some looking near/far one/two eye stuff of De Angelis and others and the teacher had no idea what she was talking about. Then I was stubborn and thought that maybe some other people who suggest that really fast improvements can happen are right, that I can reduce/improve faster than Jake proposed my own way (I also did not wear glasses too much because they always gave me eye strain). Of course it did not work and my improvements were not great at all. I reduced too fast, walked around mostly undercorrected the next years in an unstructued way. This was not really a problem for my life as I worked and studied in front of the computer most of the time (I studied mechanical engineering and did a phd/working at the university while finishing a second bachelors degree in business administration, which did not really help to relax the eyes). About a year ago all that was finished and I decided to take my professional life more slowly and put in more effort into vision improvement again. I used 1.75 at that time, but my vision was not really great and not consistent. A year before that, I reduced 0.25 every 3 to 4 months from about 2.25 to 1.25, but I went back to 1.75 because there was just too much double vision and some blur, and it did not get better. I do not know my correct diopter values at the time (I did cm readings but I found it hard to get consistent measuremnts, and I still find it hard to get reasonable consisntent cm measurements, I made measurements for years between 20 and 60 cm). So one year ago maybe my true diopters were around 2.25. So after starting at ca. 4.25 in 2014 and substracting 1 diopter for ciliary spasm relief at the beginning,
I only improved about 1 diopter in 6 years, which is really bad. I guess thats because of walking around undercorrected most of the time, being overworked and probably having developed chronic ciliary spasm again and not looking the right way (not doing active focus correctly, as I was straining my eyes most of the time by trying to do something actively and I overdid it many times). But anyway, its still a result, being undercorrected and strained most of the time led at least in my case to slow improvements after all. Gladly it made click for me after I watched (I know his name shall not be mentioned here but I have to, it really helped me the most and was the missing piece after I first released my ciliary spasm in 2014) mark warrens youtube videos. After 10 seconds or so of trying to pay attention to movement in the periphal I got a stinging sensation in the eyes and clear flashes. I tried it again and again for days and weeks, sometimes it took minutes, sometimes seconds (sometimes it did not work at all), I got the stinging sensation and watery eyes and I got clear and relaxed vision. I tried to remind me as often as possible over the next weeks and months to look in a way to pay attention not only to the center of the visual field but also to the periphery (easiest of course by noticing movement, as the rods for the peripheral vision detect movement more easily), and I tried to take a walk in the morning and evening (30 to 60 mins each), looking straight ahead when I walk, paying attention to the peripheral movement while walking. Trying not to blink helps a lot too to trigger clear flashes and stinging. So after months of trying that, it became the standard way of looking, giving me clear flashes all the time. While getting clear flashes it also became some kind of active focus, but it happens automatically by paying attention to the periphery (my eyes feel like a camera focusing automatically on the object in the center by slowly moving my head while paying attention to the movement in the periphery).

So at the moment, I am very happy with my current vision and improvement rate, I can regularly produce clear flashes and can clear up things/focus on objects very well (if things are not too blurry, when the light is not too low or I am stressed, strained etc.). It is also possible to produce clear flashes/focus/get it clear with each eye separately when the other eye is covered. I think it will probably take another 2 or maybe more years before I would consider my vision as almost normal, but thats okay as the improvement is consistent and feels natural. I do not force anything anymore, it just happens in a relaxed manner.

I currently work as a research manager (though not at the university anymore) about 40 hours a week in front of a computer. A lot of phone calls, regular movement and a good smooth screen with big enough letters to make reading easy (reading small letters, even when they are sharp/in focus, for extended periods leave my eyes strained) leave my eyes unstrained after a day of work. For me, eye strain mostly occurs when I have to read/look/take in a lot of visual information very fast under pressue. I try to avoid that now and that works very well to avoid strain. I also try to get 30 to 60 minutes walking/driving time before and after work, this really helps to focus far away and relax.

So I want to thank Jake again so much, he really changed my life for the better and he surely will do the same for million others in the future, when his approach will be considered not as a scam by a broader audience. Hope this is helping in some way, I am happy to share more information if needed and wish you all great vision improvement success :slight_smile:

Regards
jhoe

29 Likes

Thank you for such an inspirational story. I’m glad you have learnt from your past mistakes and have then shared here. Reducing too quickly is a temptation for which we must never fall. All the best for this last push to 20/20!

2 Likes

Good work to you! Glad my videos were of some help, too.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your story. That is interesting what you mention in regards to paying attention to the peripheral field of view when you’re trying to clear things up. I feel as if I’ve hit a bit of a plateau and I wonder if I’ve been walking around undercorrected, too. I had a fast reduction, most likely from being overcorrected, then kept reducing aggressively and now I’ve been stuck for a year in the same spot basically.

1 Like

I can relate to that. As Jake and others have suggested here one does not “win” anything when you reduce faster or “lose” anything when go back to higher numbers if you are undercorrected.
Your eyes are still the same, you just need a little bit of blur and thats enough. So maybe going up with your diopters helps, find just a little bit of blur and then reduce every 3 to 4 months or whenever you and your eyes feel ready, enjoying some clear weeks before your reduce again (or if you feel that you improved about 0.25 diopters when you dont see crystal clear all the time).
Also, if there is no sign of improvement for 3 months or so, maybe something is not right. For me it was not right for 6 years, better find it sooner than later :smiley: maybe try different things, suggested by
different people, as you might not really get what they want to tell you, or you interpret it differently. There are a lot of descriptions, texts, videos, maybe someone explains it in a way that works for you. Try different approached more often and under different siutations, before moving on to the next thing if it does not work. Yes it takes time, but I guess its still a valueable investment in your
lives quality improvement :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Paying attention to periphery is something I had been doing and realized I stopped. I tried wearing contacts to get back my periphery but that made a lot of strange chain reactions. Unfortunately I could see better when wearing them but I didnt see as well when I took them out. I too have been in a strange plateau if I go up I find a slight challenge and then it gets clear where I see no challenge but going back down is too big of a challenge.

So for now I am trying a few days with stronger and more days with weaker. Not sure how it will go but hoping to surpass the challenge. I got some new clear frame 1.25 waiting for me!!

3 Likes

Sounds good, tweaking until it is right for you! (though, as Jake mentions, consider not to use too many focal planes at once). keep up the good improvements! :slight_smile:

PS: what you mentioned happens to me too, when I stop paying attention to the periphery, I get strain and bad vision, even with a lot of distance vision. It happend again and again to me, but after paying attention to the periphery and trying to relax, the strain fades and clear flashes/proper focus ability come back :slight_smile: (depending on the duration (hours/days) and intensity of the strain, it takes some hours or days to relax again)

2 Likes