A simple trick for astigmatism

If you reduced or even trying to live without cylinder correction, this trick can help to make faster progress in reducing your astigmatism as well as help your neck and nerves:

Slowly tilt your head: right - straight - left.
While the head is tilted, try to see as sharply as from your least myopic meridian.

It’s all :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just tried it looking at the uprights of my French doors 7m away, without any correction. Tilting to the left has the least amount of astigmatic blur, straight up increases the blur a little, to the right increases it a lot. Makes sense as I have more astigmatism in my left eye than my right. Will try to remember to do this regularly as my elderly neck needs the stretching as well. :grinning:

2 Likes

This is for oblique muscles, isn’t it? Do you lose sharpness if you tilt? Is trying holding sharpness during the tilt engaging more obliques?

Oh this is interesting! Personally, tilting my head backwards gives me the most sharpness. I’ve noticed I do it quite a lot when pulling focus, without necessarily being conscious of it. Now I’m worried I look at people with my chin high like some sort of tyrannical queen. I swear it’s just to make their faces clearer haha!

2 Likes

If you meant ocular oblique muscles, than yes.
I experience tearing (or better, aggressive and not smooth rotation of image), like screen tearing in Linux :confused: maybe it’s due to spasm or weakness of at least one oblique muscle. Of course that will not strengthen them because it’s too low-energy so effectiveness is low. Divergence in downgaze and upgaze is much better if the goal is to strengthen them.

I lose vertical lines sharpness with tilt because I use SE without half correction. I’m getting tired when AF sometimes doesn’t work to make that correction almost SE. So after 2 months I can go to SE if that situation wouldn’t resolve. If SE will not work reliably, I’ll try to reduce CYL. It’s hard for me to deal with SPH and CYL at the same time, because I’d like to get rid of more complex problems firstly. Such as strabismus and astigmatism, so after that I also can try Ortho C lenses to get rid of high axial length more efficiently.

If you meant oblique muscles try to hold the sharpness, then I certainly don’t guess that, due to their attachment to equatorial sclera so if they act at once, it assumes more elongated shape of sclera thus not more spherical. BTW, those who think they “just move eyeball”, why retina stretching and detachment very often begins from very equator?

It can be the same in mine, yet I don’t recommend that because you actually can make a pinhole effect and/or flatten the inferior cornea contour so induce astigmatism.

1 Like

yees.

Of course that will not strengthen them because

Spasm is other direction. You need to often weaken a muscle that has spasm not strengthen it. You need to find what is spasming and work on parallel muscle. If you get this wrong you will worsen the condition. Strengthening the muscle that is spasming will lead to more spasm. Spasm is not from lack of strength of the muscle. It’s from the opposite. It’s from overworking that muscle. Remember the fist? Strengthening the fist will not lead to unclenching. You need to work on your feet, metaphorically speaking. This will unclench the fist.

You are favouring downward gaze here, which is what a lot of people do, especially those who have done a lot of book reading which promotes downward gaze. I see better with downward gaze, also because I have rather drooping eyelids, from a young age. It may not be a good idea to get too used to this, but if it helps you with active focus for the moment, never mind what people think of you. What it has led to for me over the years is the tendency to tilt my head back at the laptop screen, which creates neck ache, which can also affect vision.

1 Like

Wouldn’t you be flattening the upper half of the cornea with a downward gaze? I can counter the tendency to downward gaze by making an effort to lift my top eyelids higher, which does improve my vision a little, but this is an effort I cannot keep up for a long time. I remember @Sheikh_G posting that opening his eyes very wide improved his vision.

Working on eye muscles. Maybe there is a hope for EM still.

Wow that makes a lot of sense, thanks for the insight! Now that you mention it, looking upwards is very uncomfortable and straining. The comment about the drooping eyelids is very relatable as well. Opening my eyes wider tends to make things blurrier in the moment.

Active Focus efforts as well as eye exercises broke my neck and spine. All is now on the same level as before visiting manual therapist :angry:

Thus, one from my rules: active focus or eye exercises should not significantly enough worsen eye or other health.

I disregard good to one function in cost of evil to other.

I developed more dry eyes, neck pain and spine curve from straining eye-related tricks or exercises.

So, now I would advise to everyone: don’t alter natural functions, such as blinking, looking straight by default.

I never looked down and now I have: inferior oblique and superior rectus overaction, superior oblique and inferior rectus underaction. Muscles act different way, ones are too elastic while others tend to be stiff and jittering when acting. So it now can take a some time for me to overcome biochemical changes in extraocular muscles, induced from 10 years of strabismus.

You’ve got the concept wrong. The spasm is unlock not by streghtening the spasming muscle. It’s the opposite.

I have only spasm of MR. I fighting it by never looking close up with both eyes.

But how that would help? I don’t understand.

You say: relax spasmed muscles. So I do.

Relaxing has nothing to do with distance or at least nothing directly. Like if you look at distance you still have MR spasm. Distance isn’t changing that. It has some influence but it is like 10th factor. You don’t want to focus on 10th factor.

MR works if I converge my eyes, esotropia is way worse after close up binocular vision

Yes I know that. If you overwork spasming muscle it can get worse. But doing opposite isn’t leading to solution. Not being there at all isn’t going to resolve the spasm, at least not easily.

1 Like