Active focus an acquired trait instead of something needing "practicing"

Hi everyone,

I believe I have now found active focus and can correct my vision from barely 20/50 down to 20/30. All I do to achieve this is stare at something with high enough contrast for ~30 seconds until the lines become sharper and most of the blur goes away. It doesn’t feel like anything that takes skill or practice. What stops the newbies from being able to do this? Is it mainly about the first hump of getting rid of ciliary spasm?

TL,DR: I am not doing anything when I achieve active focus, I am just passively staring at something until it corrects itself.

1 Like

It’s like learning how to ride the bycicle or how to wiggle your ears. There is nothing inherently magical in them, but for some people it’s easier to grasp and “find”, and for others it’s harder. Congrat for finding AF :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Like anything else in life, nothing is as simple as taking one experience and applying it to everyone else in a “one size fits all” manner.

I found AF before I started EM, and I had no idea what to do or what I could do with it. But that was just one layer for me. Another was re-discovering the peripheral vision. For a high myope like me who who wears glasses (contacts are out of the question), this second layer was paramount to instinctive, no effort, AF. That is just my experience.
I have seen a clip Jake presented a while back, where the lady was not even sure if she found AF, yet she was improving her vision anyway.

Each one of us has a slightly different twist to the AF story.
But like @halmadavid said, once you learn to ride the AF bike, it becomes second nature, never to be unlearned.

2 Likes

My theory is that we’re all born with a natural ability to AF. But when a person has been wearing glasses for many years, and therefore has had no need to AF, the brain forgets about this skill. So it has to be re-learned. People who haven’t been wearing glasses for so long, probably have a much easier time re-discovering AF, since they haven’t completely forgotten how to do it. Both my wife and my son, who have worn glasses for only 6 years or so, could do it on their first attempt, whereas it took me about 3 months. I had been wearing glasses for about 38 years…

1 Like

Mostly they over complicate it… but also the spasm and as David said it just comes easier to some people than others.

1 Like