Active Focus and Astigmatism

OD -3.0 Cyl
OS -2.75 cyl
Question to those with only cylinder correction that can active focus.

How exactly does it feel to active focus? Signs, feels, moments?

Hello Theo,
I’m new to this forum and have a bunch of different eye situations that may not apply to most people (all are in my initial post).
For me, it was a sting in one of my eyes, a sharp needle like pain that I’ve read is the ciliary muscle releasing.
One thing I did was purchase an eye patch and try to merge the image (without squinting). I managed to do it a couple of times, and then I was unable to accomplish it.
Regards,

Here is my experience trying to active focus.
Close up seeing vertical and horizontal lines
Vertical clear and horizontal blurry
To get horizontal line cleared i have to adjust eyes but makes vertical line blurry.
Or i can make them both equally clear but with light blur.
Can anyone share their experience with active focus and high astigmatism ?

There is an app called Astigmatism on the Google Play Store (only). It has a number of visual exercises you can use to get all the ciliary muscles working (all around the eye, rather than on just a horizontal or vertical axis).

My blogs titled the Road to Emmetropia outline the ups and downs I’ve had chasing my astigmatism from a high of -3.25 cylinder down to -1.00.

I’m hoping by Fall, I’ll be down to -0.50D or less of cylinder correction.

Working with the challenging view (horizontal) is a good thing to do, but also the diagonals. The app helps with that. If you poke around, you can find screen shots I posted from the app so it will give you an idea of what’s in it. I’m not selling the app, it’s the most efficacious thing I’ve found to help with my own astigmatism, that and finding naturally challenging things to clear.

For me, active focus is relaxing, but I can feel the muscles around the lens/in the front of my eyes working. Ciliary spasm release feels like stinging. I usually get that when I am taking a break after the computer. When I’m looking at the sky (blue or clouds, does not matter), sometimes I can just feel the ciliary releasing, and I get stinging and tearing.

It doesn’t have to be, though. Just long times relaxing and lots of distance/changing vision. As long as you’re actually changing your focal point from near, far, and midpoints, your ciliary muscles are working and that’s active focus. At some point you’ll find that the autonomous system will take back over, and adjust the lens when you change your focal point. This is what dave marchik calls passive focus, I think.

There is an arc of change with active focus. You’ll get better at it; just stay mindful and tuned in to your vision, and don’t fall back to habits of passively viewing the world. Always be seeking a better amount of clarity.

Hi. I have/ had high astigmatism when i started (2018 nivember). -2,5, -2,0 cyl and sph -6,75 and -6 I know you should not mess with tha cylinders but at the beginning i just left them out from my glasses. At the beginning i saw very blurry and had problems with AF couse i did not realise that for me it will not get as clear as for someone with no astigmatism. ( i tought it has to clear up complitely) i had no double vision back than, just blur. As i remember for me it was just a feeling that my eyes got more relaxed. First i felt dizzy and a bit desorientated, but this dizziness dissapeared after a while ( few weeks) I did not change my prescription for 18 month. Than i went to the oftalmolog and she told me i have no longer any astigmatism. This was that point when i started to improve. And as i started reduceing i started to have double vision. The active focuse also changed.as instart the distant vision and AF i get a stinging sensation and tearing up. The the blur goes away, and the double vision appears. Althou the double vision does not go away, but it gets better and better. So for me AF is seeing clearer but not All the time conpletely sharp and double.

3 Likes

I suspect your astigmatism is active some of the time. The double vision is a classic symptom of corneal error. It took me a really long time to gain a mental picture of how these aberrations can be caused. But you’re probably (nearly certainly) on the right track. My sense is that active focus not only is the stimulus for axial shortening, but also astigmatism and presbyopia reductions.