Active Focus and Shape of Eye?

So I understand that the reason that myopia exists is because the eye is elongated. To my understanding, Active Focus is a way to “controll” the ciciliary muscles which controls the lens of your eye. How exactly does doing Active Focus help change the shape of your eye, which is the root problem of myopia?

2 Likes

Nobody knows, not even vaguely, let alone exactly. There are a few hypotheses. And not all myopia is caused by axial elongation, although it is probably the most common cause.

Welcome to the forum. You will meet many people interested in investigating the science, but EM is based mainly on a good deal of experience, and it works for many people, whether we know the mechanisms of how it happens or not.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! As you can probabily tell, I am very new to EndMyopia and Active Focus. Does this mean that Active Focus cannot help/“cure” elongation of the eye? Or does Active Focus help with this as well?

It is probably a good idea that you read a lot more for yourself. The only reason why I answered as I did is to disabuse you of the idea that there is tons of science behind the methods of EM. Some people get so hooked on the need for scientific evidence that they never take the plunge of trusting the experiences of many others. Try it, see if it works for you, and then you can amuse yourself with hunting for the science. This is what I did, and I have had good improvements in the 18 months I have been on this journey. And I am still having fun learning about the biology and neurology of eyesight and looking for clues about why the method works.

A few people on the forum are measuring their eye length to test this hypothesis. To date we have had no convincing data, but it might take a few years to have this. There may be ways in which myopia can improve other than by shortening of the eye. Many discoveries are made through trial and error, and the science will follow if enough people are willing to put money and effort into it.

ps. If you live in a country where you can have your axial length measured at a reasonable cost, now at the start of the EM journey, and have it measured again after you have made considerable improvement, you would contribute to this very small citizen science project.

4 Likes

My assumption is that myopic defocus (and definitely avoiding further hyperopic defocus) is the main reason for axial shortening. But I personally think that the ciliary muscle plays a bigger role in myopia, so AF is certainly a good way to improve your vision.

I am also wondering how we can achieve clear flashes with an elongated eye ball. I mean, the ciliary muscle cannot relax more than the natural maximum…and with an elongated eye the focal plane would always be in front of the retina regardless of how relaxed the ciliary muscle is…

I also have many question marks not answered but as Ursa already said, it works and as long as it works I am happy. What matters in the end is, that we improve our vision. I have already improved roughly 1 diopter within a year.

My advice for you is, that you really start measuring your CM at the very beginning of your EM journey, do it today and tomorrow! I didn’t do it and now I am not 100% sure if I have improved even more than just 1 diopter. Try it for 6 months and as soon as you will see an increase in your CM you will certainly continue.

1 Like

Without trying to dig too deep in the mechanics of what happens simply put from my understanding it creates stimulus in the positive direction, doing it regularly over the course of time signals your eyes to change, I’m personally not one to put theory in the forefront, if it works then it works and that’s all I care about.

Though what I’m curious about in my case is if my myopia is a case of permanent ciliary spasm or if I actually ended up with some axial myopia, I never wore glasses so I can’t have lens induced myopia which explains why I never went past the -1 range. If I theoretically have a case of long ongoing ciliary spasm then for me AF is an effort to slowly get the muscle back to it’s natural full range of motion but I don’t know, I experience clear flashes sometimes, they used to be accompanied by my eyes tearing up a lot but now there’s no tearing up, I identify it by how it feels like my eyes sorta zoom in and things come into either perfect or nearly perfect sharp focus.

There’s also the contact lens effect, I don’t know if I get that often or not, sometimes when I get AF my eyes actually feel quite dry yet it still happens, I don’t have the stinging and tearing happen often anymore, in all honestly I’m confused but ultimately what I care about is being aware of things not looking right and making an effort to clear them up, whether by staring, blinking several times or even commiting heresy sometimes and do a slightly hard blink, I don’t let myself do actual hard blinks to get AF anymore and don’t feel the need to.

3 Likes

Second what Ursa says. There is no convincing science on long term axial length reduction.
Where it gets interesting is that people still have dramatic improvements in their eyes regardless.
The mechanism has not been established.

Bates method people think its all in the muscles.
Mainstream optometry/opthomology think its all because of axial length
EM takes its information from optometry and optomology journals so its theories are based heavily around axial length change.

There is also the possibility that active focus and axial length change are not related. Science hasn’t shown that yet.

You can check the wiki for some of the science about axial length change

This is my fav. axial length one. Only shows that short term axial length change.

4 Likes