Active Focus, beyond frustrated

My name is Ghilman, having -12R and -10L. Been wearing glasses since 8yo, now 25. Optometrist told me to wear lower correction since more than 10 years, so lower correction is not something new to me, but she did not tell me to change to the right correction for long distance. My point is, im in a position where im not sure wether I cant do active focus or that I have been doing it my whole life that I cant know the difference anymore.

And yes I have looked the post from ppl who succeeded doing active focus, using light, relaxing thoughts, blinking. Still not good …

Update: im using -10RL on my glasses. My last distance vision in an optometrist dark room -10L -12R. (Couple months back), year before she said the right eye got a bit worse and told me to stay with the glasses cause my left eye is still ok, this year she said increase the right to 12. and my cm vision is 12 cm Left and 11 CM right. When I look at my pc during work sometimes I lean forward, probably because Im not even trying to take time to clear the very minimum blur and instead wanted the clear vision quickly.

So anyone any tipps please?

Thank youuu

3 Likes

Active Focus should be pretty obvious. You see something blurry and then the blur clears up. Even though it can work automatically, you should be able to see the clearing up if you pay attention to it.

Does your lower correction mean differential glasses? It should mean that when you use close-up (eg.: computer) then you are hovering around your edge of blur. If everything is clean even if you lean back a bit then they are too strong for differential.
If you don’t use them for close-up you most likely have ciliary spasm, even though you don’t wear full prescription. With ciliary spasm it’s almost impossible to find Active Focus.

2 Likes

I’m just gonna give you personal experience here from someone who also just started off. I was also wondering if I already got Active Focus and was just not aware of it. Turned out that this was not the case.

As it was already mentioned you have to clear up that Ciliary Spasm and use just the right Diopters to give you a bit of blur. Then give yourself some time (20-30 min) every day where you stare at high contrast details (e.g. Text with good lighting). After a week of doing this I noticed some movement in the Blur going on while staring. Sometimes this involves some fluctuating contraction/expansion of the ciliary muscle that I can feel my eye. Sometimes it is noticeable double vision where all the double pictures seem to move around in your field of vision till they line up. When this happens, there is nothing “Active” about it at all for me, it feels like my brain is taking control over my vision and I can look at what it’s doing. Kind of like a “recovery mode” on your computer. The only “active” thing is that I don’t interrupt what my brain is doing, that’s why you should be relaxed.

Thank you Hannie.

I have updated my post about my lower correction.

Anyway you mean that I probably got the Wong lower correction lense?

So far I think my problem was that i did not take enough tome to “stare” I think your suggestion might be the answer, I will keep trying this.

Anyway I notice that when I “stare” and blink that millisecond when you just opened your eye everything was clear, is it active focus?
After that I tried almost closing my eye whole stile relaxing it and everything is clear. Is this active focus?

Thank you!

1 Like

This is also my concern as I have yet to identify what active focus feels like. What I found was that if I close my eyes and I feel a pressure between my eyes and eyelids and then open to see, my vision gets clear for around a second. A post on FB had mix comments on it, saying that it may be one way to practice AF or that it is the pressure that causes my eyes to slightly deform for a few seconds and that causes the light to refract correctly, giving the clear image, which is not AF.

AF is using your ciliary muscle in your eye to slightly clear up a bit of blur. Continue blinking normally. It is very subtle.
It is not blinking hard, closing and opening your eyes fast, squinting, etc.

Hey Ghilman. I’m sorry you’re frustrated. I have a pretty high prescription too- and I’ve been working with AF. It sounds simple but I just hold a flower or a leaf and cover one eye. I slowly move it back to the first step of blur, I blink and focus- it becomes clear, then I move it back the slightest bit- sometimes my eye will burn slightly and water. When I stop succeeding I do it with the other eye. I’ve noticed on some days when it’s not working I’m moving too quickly. Patience is key.

My eyes are now starting to be able do that on their own in the distance, but I find this peaceful and pleasant as I can see all the details of the flower and tiny little bugs. I do this outside in the shade all times of day. Relax, enjoy it. Look at something that you enjoy-something beautiful. It’s more motivating.

3 Likes

@Ghilmanfaza

Milisecond clarity is not likely to be active focus. Active focus lasts from about half a second up to a few seconds (if you try hard).

@Brentkyle54
There’s no need for any pressure using the eyelids to do active focus.

Thank you for the answer. I stopped doing that and moved to a more relaxed blinking, and maybe some strong blinks at times out of habit :joy:

Thank you Liza i will absolutely try this!!

2 Likes

Maybe this helps YATFAFT - Yet Another "Tips For Active Focus" Thread ;)

What a beautiful way to practice Active Focus. I just might steal that idea. Thanks a bunch!

If you like leaves then they give another great opportunity to AF, in this case in the distance: with your normalized (or if you are low myopic enough for distance AF then without glasses). Go close enough to a tree or bush that it’s a bit beyond your edge of blur. And then start counting the leaves. Of course the goal is not counting exactly how many leaves are there, and you can count leaves again if you don’t have enough of them. But the intent of counting somehow tricks the brain into activating AF :slight_smile:

2 Likes