Active focus: it's like tuning a television!

You think you know how to do something after being around for nearly a month now. I was wrong. So far I’ve been able to get modest active focus, generally by looking at something for a while with a fair few blinks. Go back to your job where you’re behind a till for nearly eight hours a day though, with plenty of lulls with nobody to serve and millions of price tags and text to look at, and you’re going to refine your technique fast.

This is how I’ve really ‘found’ active focus. The analogy is tuning a television, there’s plenty of directions and inputs you can give to your eye to induce it into AF, and I’m beginning to think this gets a lot easier the more I’ll practice it. I like this method as I can describe exactly what I’m doing in words too.

If you’re looking at something that’s blurry, the key idea is momentum. You want to see that blurry object? Well, there’s only two directions ways in which the cilliary muscle can change your vision, and usually we want to accommodate more for things further away (for myopia). I’ve found by doing something that ever so slightly improves my distance vision ever so slightly, my eyes begin moving towards accomodating that specific thing I’m trying to see.

’Squinting’: the better term would be eye tension. Close your eyes the tiniest bit and make the text the tiniest bit clearer. Maybe repeat a bit. There’s subtlety to how you’re supposed to do this.

’Eyebrow pumping’: silly name but exactly what it sounds like. Move your eyebrow up and down. My best guess for why this is effective is that you’re engaging one muscle close to the eye so the body feels more confident about engaging a less voluntary one. No clue, but I’ve found this technique helpful.

Blinking: If it’s blurry, a blink will reset the palette of what you’re trying to look at and perhaps reset the eyes focus on the object to where momentum begins to build again toward accommodating the further away object.

Staring: Sometimes a stare is all you need.

Okay, so back to being all ‘we don’t know how to really do active focus, get experimenting’. The trick is to do all four of these techniques, with different strengths to each one. A bit of tension, a stare, maybe pump the eyebrow a little. You get to experiment with the magnitude of each action.

I’ve found I can active focus in higher levels of blue using this wacky technique than just ‘looking at something for a long time’, and it feels like my eyes have just came out of an extended gym session. If your eyes feel like that, you can only guess you’re doing active focus right :wink:

EDIT: What’s written above isn’t actually Active Focus(!!!), although it does show the experimentation I went through to actually find it. See my up-to-date progress video about why this is wrong:

9 Likes

That’s exactly how I active focus: moving my eyes forward.

Okay, a lot can change in two days. The above felt like Active Focus, but it wasn’t in reality. I guess the real Endmyopians here will have known all along that it’s a conscious ability that you have to learn how to do, and the above was a load of rubbish. At least that is the conclusion I’ve came to in my last video :joy:

4 Likes

When I’ve read in you first comment that:

I was inclined to write that definitely does sound bad active focus (or not even active focus), but I was like “oh well if that works for him…” :slight_smile:. It looks like I should have written it.
Based on my own experience and on other comments (here and in the fb group) I really think (and your comment just confirms it) that active focus should be a relaxing experience. If you feel any kind of tiredness, tension, pain, even a slight discomfort then you are in the best case doing some unnecessary (like flexing some face muscle which is not needed for active focus), but more frequently you are simple doing it wrong and it’s not active focus. Mental tiredness maybe a bit different, and maybe that’s ok, but there definitely should not be any kind of physical tiredness and discomfort. The gym rat “no pain, no gain” mentality is a really bad attitude in most part of life (I suspect that even in gym, but I don’t have enough experience there to prove that).
So in summary, I’m glad you found the real one! This was the hardest part of the endmyopian experience and process :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, you’re right on the money there!

As EM gets more popular, maybe a majority of anecdotes will begin to confirm the ‘relaxation’ of AF as how it’s supposed to feel, not strain or messing around with your eyes or whatever. Then the official advice can get closer to telling people “this is how AF is supposed to feel like, if it’s not like this then it’s wrong for you”. While this is disheartening to those who haven’t gotten it (such as my first post above), the biological reality means that the person needs to know they haven’t found it yet otherwise they’ll stifle their gains, which is a lot worse than being told they haven’t gotten it yet.

(look at me talking as if i know everything there is to know about EM, i’ve only been here a month, i’ve gotta cool it)

2 Likes

Is it conscious accommodation?

2 Likes

That’s the only explanation I can think of.

1 Like

Haha I too was tempted to write something, to me that didn’t seem to be the right way to do AF :smile:

Though in my opinion, it’s not that dramatic if, at first, you use one of the “bad” methods to discover that you can clear things up. It gives you the opportunity to “feel” how your eyes are working to achieve focus.
Just to say, I’ve discovered AF by squinting, because I was walking around at around -2D without glasses :crazy_face: So sometimes there was no other way than squint to be able to read the menu at the fast food or try to guess who is the person greeting me from across the street :joy:

But the essential point is then to take some time to find how you can get the same result while staying relaxed and doing nothing special (no excessive blinking, squinting or other strange face muscle movement) but just taking control of the ciliary muscle in your eyes.

7 Likes

Totally agree. The most important is find AF in any way, because otherwise people get discouraged fast. But then it is also important to “refind” it in a relaxed way, because otherwise plateaus and falling of the wagon will come.

1 Like

:+1:

Thank you! This helps my understanding greatly. AF seems to me to be the conscious control of the ciliary muscle by contraction of the ciliary body. See video:

3 Likes

Active Focus,
It makes my eyes tear ,then i blinking and Clear vision.
Are Active Focus ?

Maybe. Does you eyes feel relaxed when doing for a longer time? Then yes. If they are strained, then you are doing something unnecessary.

Thank you for this. I think this is the information I need to clear things up (pun intended) I had a similar experience but ignored it for certain reasons. Namely, the vision would distort around everything else besides what I was looking at.

1 Like

Hello, I’m new to EM. My biggest problem is Astigmatism, and by reading the above post and replys I gathered that the ciliary muscle can bend the lens and when relaxed, it lets the lens sit flat.
My concern is with ghost vision and other posts I’ve read about fusing the image (or willing the image to be fused). Does this mean that the ciliary muscle can warp the lens and the image can then merge?

It does, but seems to take a long time.

I suspect the ciliary muscles get out of balance and warp the cornea. Working those muscles to restore their balance and endurance eventually pulls the cornea back into shape.

Personal experience, not medical advice.

Kent

I’m intrigued on how the merger of the astigmatic ghost image can be achieved.
My left eye has somewhat more astigmatism (and myopia) than my right eye.
I usually don’t perceive a double image when using both eyes, but as soon as I cover the right one, there it is.
I started using a patch (for about 10 minutes a day) trying to fuse the image, and lo and behold, they fuse for a second or so.
I just don’t know how this is possible.

1 Like