Active Focus Tutorial - How to Find Active Focus

I have been trawling the forum, the facebook, the blog, the discord and youtube in order to compile the different way people describe finding active focus. This video describes what I have found. Hopefully anyone looking to find active focus will find in here at least one approach that helps trigger active focus for them.

15 Likes

Charming, as usual. You cover a lot of possible tricks to get it going, some of them bordering on what some (but not I) would call unicorn farming.

2 Likes

Which was the most unicorn-esque in your opinion?

Probably breating into your eyes. Curiosity about a letter is a good runner up. What’s to be curious about in a letter? I would rather use curiosity about a bumble bee that is feeding on my hyacinths.

That said, I love unicorns, because we are likely to find a few real horses amongst them as science progresses.

2 Likes

Not related to the topic, but that is the most awesome sentence I have read in quite a while :grinning:

2 Likes

In contrast to @Ursa, I don’t find it “unicornful” :sweat_smile: :rofl:
I find that “psychologizing” myself is if not necessary, at least practical.

And I love the video! Your visuals and explanations would really help others who are still trying to find AF. :heart:

2 Likes

Ah yes, the breathing thing. I can see how that resembles a unicorn from certain angles XD
My physio gets my to breathe “into” certain muscles to relax them - I guess it is really just deeper breathing (which is relaxing/releases tension) while thinking of a specific part of the body, making sure it gets the benefit of the release in stress/tension that our bodies carry for our minds. But as I am suggesting doing something non-literal, I can see how it sounds a bit… floaty.

Yes indeed, a bumble bee in the hyacinths is much more interesting. But then again, we will never know what there is to be curious about a letter if we don’t first become curious… :wink:

Thank you. I hope it does help people. I know there is no guarantee that this video will be the magic trick that makes all people understand, but hopefully some more than otherwise. I really enjoyed finding cat and dog B-roll to add for the active eyes and passive eyes descriptions - they are not in any sense a real representation, but they just somehow caught the idea for me, got me in the right frame of mind to relate to my eyes in a certain way. So I did enjoy that. XD

3 Likes

“Breathing into” is simply a way to bring awareness to that body part.
In fact all AF methods boil down to awareness, so anything that leads to that path is bound to work.

I personally try to feel the physical sensations of the eyeball, if that fails I try the “periphal vision” and “breathing through eyes” tricks.
It’s good to cycle between methods because when things become routine, awareness has a bad habit of getting lost. This way I can keep up AF with reasonable consistency.

4 Likes

I loved that you took the time to compile all of this. I have long wanted to see all of it in one(ish) place but hadn’t mustered the motivation to tackle it. The kitten was cute! As a mom, and many times over care taker, I use baby analogies myself, but one thing is for sure in both cases you know they are really seeing what they are looking at. Anyone who has ever watched a baby “look” at anything can tell they aren’t just gazing or casually observing they are really seeing it. I alluded briefly in my own video with my “look and see!” approach. Tend to agree with @Ursa that pretending to be curious about a letter is a stretch but the point is still well made to connect with that visual stimulus. All said smashing video :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for the video, a nice compilation that I’d like to get back to watching again soon as I’ve been really doubting if I’m doing it properly recently, my usual way of doing AF started out as hard blinks and widening my eyes (raising eyebrows a bit too) and soon I shifted it towards a slightly hard blink followed by slightly widening my eyes, it works fairly consistently but a few weeks ago I had large hair like floaters appear in both eyes… I can’t be sure if it’s because of my AF efforts but I’ve been trying to achieve it in the most relaxed way I can recently, I find it difficult but seemingly I’m very slowly getting the hang of it, I hope I’m not doomed for life with these floaters but I think I learned my lesson to not force it the hard way, a shift of mindset to “make it clearer” and not necessarily “make it clear” seems to be helping.

1 Like

Great video Gemily!

I was trying to explain the concept to someone the other day and said something like “It’s like in meditation when they say picture a ball of light. There’s definitely no actual ball of light, but it gives your mind something to focus on and picture. It helps your muscles relax.” It doesn’t have to be real but helps you have the right mindset when you say stuff like “see from the back of your eye” or “breathe into your eyes”.

2 Likes

Thanks, Jemmeh. :blush:

Very nice video! I can relate to several of these as ways of finding active focus! I’ve found one form helpful at one point in the journey and another helpful at another point depending on what I’m dealing with. It’s very nice to have a compilation like this!

2 Likes

Decent video! I can identify with a few of these as methods of discovering dynamic core interest! I’ve discovered one structure supportive at one point in the excursion and one more accommodating at another point contingent upon what I’m managing. It’s extremely ideal to have a gathering this way!

1 Like