AF in the distance without glasses

I have read a few forum entries of people doing AF without glasses (pulling focus). I am currently at L -2,25 and R -2,75 and in good daylight I really enjoy walking around without glasses and doing AF without glasses. I don’t do it all the time, maybe 30% without glasses and 70% with Normalized. On sunny days I feel really confident without glasses. I can surprisingly clear up most of the blur without glasses, so it feels good for me and I don’t feel straining my eyes. When I try to AF into distance with my Differentials it is much more difficult, but without glasses it’s easier. I was wondering if someone else is doing that too with moderate myopia like me?

Be aware that active focus is not “contact lens effect” - adjusting your tear to a certain shape and not blinking for long that the tear maintains its “minus lens” shape. With this kind of playing it won’t give you any gains.

Good then, you can do it unless it’s the case described above.

Again, make sure.

In you they call it moderate myopia from -2?
I’ve heard even such fancy gradings like moderate myopia is from -2 to -8 or from -1 to -1.75.
When I was at about -3, I did the same “contact lens effect” to see 20/25 or 20/20 without glasses. So I’d be very careful calling your case AF.

1 Like

That’s interesting - trying to figure out why this is so. I do focussed attention at all distances without glasses - a low myope in one eye, a medium myope in the other.

1 Like

It must be the added benefit of having full peripheral vision without corrections.
When I started reading number plates, I could only focus on the numbers and letters and didn’t see the car or its colour or make. I had a quantum leap in clarity, when I was able to get all details “within one spontaneous look”. I think 30% zero reset and 70% normalised is good, especially if you are enjoying it and feel confident.
Make sure you don’t flip the percentages around or you’ll just train yourself to accept blur tolerance.
Best if you have a usual route that you walk both with and without glasses, so you keep yourself aware of what clarity is.

1 Like

Thanks for your comment, Bianca! I’ve totally forgot about the added benefit of peripheral vision, that might be indeed the reason :slight_smile:

1 Like