An observation I made about ciliary spasm

I noticed that when I have ciliary spasm, the range of sharp focus when measuring cm distance is reduced. In other words, the image goes almost immediately from myopic to hyperopic defocus as I bring the object closer. And of course cm distance is drastically reduced as well.

Normally that does not happen.

This is interesting. It almost mimics presbyopia, in that accomodation no longer works as it should. I’m far too young for actual presbyopia, so this is my interpretation.

This makes me wonder if ciliary spasm can be misinterpreted not only as myopia, but as presbyopia, in an exam. Imagine not only getting over corrected with minus at distance, but also with extra plus at near to offset that extra minus power! Maybe this is why some presbyopic age people who reverse ciliary spasm and myopia have an improvement in their presbyopia soon after.

9 Likes

I think you might be onto something here. This could very well explain why some younger people end up with reading glasses. That ciliary spasm will not only make it harder to relax, but also to contract further. Good stuff!

3 Likes

Yes, very interesting observation. This also explains why I was’nt even able to focus on objects very close to me, after having too much close-up time.

1 Like

@Laurens, maybe this is also why some young people who really are fine, get misdiagnosed with accommodative insufficiency (AI is the code on the exam sheet for this) coupled with CI (convergence insufficiency).

The traditional old school “treatment” for this is…wait for it…overcorrection at distance, and prism with bifocals at near. What a mess. So over correct them even more and add plus and prism because they can hardly accommodate enough to see at distance, let alone near??? Imagine being fine, and getting this solution. How dumb is that? Lol. You get lens induced myopia, cause headaches, and screw up the vergence/accommodation synkinesis even more!

My idea of a real solution: myopia reduction.

3 Likes