An update from Dirk

This by no means asks for diopter-specific advice. I simply mention two diopter levels because the experience that I propose to share is probably very specific to this stage.

After a happy, grateful period of wearing -1.25 diopters normalized, I was seeing 20/20 on the Snellen chart and having trouble finding opportunities to do active focus when wearing my normalized. (Of course I could still do AF with books and screens without glasses, as I always do.)

So I ordered -1.0 lenses, expecting the same easy adjustment that I have had in my earlier reductions from 1.75. This has not quite been the case, which I attribute to the increasing centimeter gap as we go lower that we have been warned about in the Endmyopia Gesamptausgabe.

Here’s what’s happening: on the Snellen chart, the difference between the -1.25 glasses and the -1.0 glasses is minimal. It’s 20/20 for -1.25 and 20/25 for the -1.0. But the difference in the wild is much greater. In decent light, the -1.0 lenses are perfectly satisfactory, though somewhat blurier than any of my other reductions have been. It’s when I enter a more dimly lit sports bar or café that the difference is striking. Even with the glasses, reading the scores up in the left-hand corner of big screens for European football matches is a challenge. (I’m assuming that some of this is because of what happens to the pupils in a dimmer ambient rather than being a strictly myopic issue?) I’m not alarmed, since I still feel I’m making progress, but I share this different experience of reduction in case it’s useful to other people who will reach this stage, and also if veterans want to react in confirmation or to tell me that I’m full of something or other! (I have tried wearing the old -1.25 lenses inside that sports bar, which I had not had the opportunity to do before, because it was closed for months because of Covid, and find that even then I get a blur in that dim light.)

I spend a lot of time on the beach, usually in the shade (because of my pale Northern genes), usually just reading (without glasses of course) in the beach shacks (xiringuitos) that abound here, where we have coffee and drinks, enjoying beach life without being killed by the sun. It is perfectly ordinary experience now to forget to put on my glasses when I stop reading close up. Yesterday I played dominoes in one of those xiringuitos with friends for almost three hours, interacting with lots of people and sites around me, and never thought to put on my glasses except once when I was looking around to make sure my friend’s toddler son hadn’t run away too far. This was unimaginable for me just a few months ago. It’s the first time that I have lived partly without glasses since the age of 13. So I am a very, very happy camper!

8 Likes

Totally normal I would say. I used to wear -0.5D extra at networking events in the evening. Dim light, lot of new people, huge halls, getting a seat furthest away from the presenter, etc.
Moving objects, moving people and most of all faces are the most difficult to get into focus.

Glad to hear. It would be worth even if your vision stopped at this point. But actually it takes very very little, just a bit of consistency, to slowly move towards 20/20 now.

4 Likes

I now have an update to this update. As I posted elsewhere in the Forum, a week ago today I went on a day-long sightseeing expedition in the mountains and decided to wear my “full correction” lenses of -1.25 for the day in order to bask in super-sharp scenery. Thanks to the people who have so often said that it is not an admission of defeat to go back up a quarter diopter, I decided (with some qualms) to keep wearing the -1.25 lenses all week.

So today I have resumed the -1.0 lenses, and I can read 20/20 on the Snellen chart in sunlight! So it obviously hasn’t hurt me to go up a quarter diopter for 7 days, and it may even have helped. But I also feel I should share that the level of blur at long distances in the wild still seems greater to me than I was used to in my previous reductions. Is possible that I have been still slightly over-correcting in the past and I’m now just seeing the amount of blur that my Endmyopia colleagues have been seeing with their normalized all along? I’m just not sure. But with my 20/20 Snellen results at -1.0, I can’t really see any justification for using any stronger correction. Does that sound about right?

1 Like

This concerns me as a standard of measurement, actually covered that here: More on measuring - YouTube

Not all quarter diopters are equal, also it is probable that you could get even more improvement wise out of the -1.25, I would be willing to bet there is a bit of blur challenge in those at larger distances ( and finer details like text) as well as in lower lighting.

It is my understanding that at your point a lot of people end up going back and forth between the two a few times (in addition to alternating correction with no correction), I would suggest that you try to overcome the remaining qualms about it, the negative feedback about the “higher” correction could prove counterproductive. Don’t feel bad about wearing more correction if and when you need it, reducing eye strain and maintaining a clarity reference for your visual cortex is far more important than arbitrary diopter numbers.

Thanks for you opinions. I do appreciate them. As in the quote above, you are informing me of things that I know (being a careful student of what Jake has told us) and warning me not to do things (such as being governed by “arbitary diopter numbers”) that I wouldn’t dream of. I respect your personal standards about measurements, too. They seem to match your needs but not necessarily mine in their entirety. I don’t normally wear, or need, glasses indoors, so indoor measurements with my normalized are data that go into the mix and are seriously considered but are not as determinative for me as they seem to be for you. Outdoor accuity is thus my main concern and, as in videos that Jake has made, I understand the principle of low-diopter folks jacking it up a diopter or two (he says that he himself even sometimes goes to -1.50 in such circumstances) in unfavorable light of one kind or another. I have also posted above about my interest in what you rightly call “maintaining a clarity reference for [my] visual cortex,” which I have just spent seven days doing.

Well, yes. Bet away. So? I’m nearsighted and am having what is to me thrilling success in reducing that. I even hope to end my personal myopia. I imagine that you must feel the same way.

Thanks again.

1 Like

While I deal with people most every day who are not careful students, I never meant to imply that you weren’t a diligent student of the method. I just intended to encourage a more positive outlook should further clarity reference be required.
I am indeed also intent on ending my myopia, though I expect you will be there a fair way ahead of me. Best wishes.

To me, absolutely.
Your read the 20/20 at 3 metres or 6 metres. I find that I’ve gradually worked clarity up to about 20 metres and if I wear a bit of corrections then I’m working on clarity at about 50 metres. However, when I was around -0.75D my actual distance of clear vision was around 6 metres only and I sort of set my expectation on clear vision at that distance and was OK with little or not that little blur above 6 metres, even when corrected to 20/20 according to Snellen. At that time that was the right mindset but now nothing should hold me back on extending the distance of clarity further and further just by being outdoors and lifting my eyes to look at distant objects, signs, etc.
While I was between 6 and 20 metres, I also had this feeling of losing a lot more than just 0.25D from my vision after a drop. A simple 0.25D sph drop felt like a reduction of -0.5D at least.
There is a thing I noticed a couple of weeks ago: I learned to relax my shoulder and neck and the face muscles and the muscles around my eyes but when it is sunny, I tend to contract muscles in the crease of my eyelids on the inner side. Might not be the exact place but contracting or releasing these is not visible from the outside and feels to be around the top of my eyeballs on the inside part. (Took me a few weeks to actually tap into that tiny sensation that happens when things suddenly pop sharp.) Still experimenting with this but quite convinced this will contribute to a next improvement in uncorrected clarity…

1 Like

Today I had another long-distance-vision adventure: kayaking on the open sea. Long distances galore! And again I used my full correction of -1.25 for the crispness-check and because I figured stuff would be getting on the lenses anyway. And how right I was! Thank goodness my more experienced friend had strapped my glasses on my face (something I hadn’t thought of) since I promptly got totally dunked when a big wave came along just as I was first mounting the thing.

4 Likes