Animated Explainer Video

Hi! I’m about a year into my personal endmyopia journey, and I’ve been working on a project that I’d like to submit to the community for critique and feedback. Collectively, we are the pros!

I wanted to make a video intended to explain the basics of the myopic “vicious circle,” including visuals that I feel would have helped me when I was starting on my Endmyopia journey. Please, let know if you feel this video is accurate and useful in its details. I will carefully consider your comments and try to improve on this video before posting it anywhere publicly.

Here is a link, and below is a transcript. Thank you in advance for your thoughts!
https://vimeo.com/370725217

==================================================

Myopia, also known as short-sightedness, is not a disorder… disease… or a lifetime sentence to expensive glasses / contacts.

It’s actually: your eyes doing their job properly.

Our eyesight is an amazing dance between the software of our brains and the mechanisms of our eyeballs. It’s a series of tiny, unconscious adjustments made in response to the stimulus of looking at something.

If your glasses prescription has been getting stronger over the years, that’s often a result of a feedback loop of stronger lens correction, and your eyeballs compensating to deal with it. Thankfully, changes in eyesight are not a one-way street. Let’s talk about how your ability to see things clearly at a distance can get slowly better over time, instead of worse.

First, the basics of eyeball mechanics.

At some point, you probably learned what lenses do. Lenses change the direction of rays of light. Positive lenses bend light towards a single point. Negative lenses spread that light out. Positive and negative lenses working together can adjust where that point of focus falls.

Your eyeballs contain a flexible, positive lens. This lens is framed by a ring of muscle called the ciliary muscle. When the ciliary muscle is relaxed, your lens is at its thinnest. When the ciliary muscle contracts, it pushes inward, causing your lens to bulge more. This basically happens without your conscious control. Amazing!

Your eyeball has one almighty directive from the brain: focus the light from the object you’re looking at onto your retina, at the back of your eyeball. When it hits perfectly, you get a clear image. If it falls short or long of the retina, you’ll experience blurriness. The amount of work your eyes have to do depends on how far away the object is. If you experience myopia, you know that things in the distance are more blurry than things that are nearer to your face.

Let’s compare the task of focusing at different distances to the task of hand-picking apples from a tree. You want to be able to reach the maximum number of apples, and you have two mechanisms with which to accomplish this: your arm, and the ladder. Your arm is like your ciliary muscle. It can move quickly to make slight adjustments, and zero in on the apple of your choice. The ladder in this metaphor is the length of your eyeball. The ladder determines the larger range within which your arm can work.

How do you choose the right ladder height for apple picking? The best ladder is the one that positions your arm to reach the most apples.

Now I want you to imagine the apples towards the top of the tree are your close-up eyesight tasks: things like reading, computer and phone use, sewing, drawing, etc. The apples at the bottom of the tree are the things which require distance vision: Like playing sports, driving, and generally navigating the outdoors.

Let’s say that the apples at the top seem like the best to you. You’re really going after those. Your arm is getting tired of stretching most of the time, though. So you adjust your ladder to be taller, and now you can comfortably work in that top-apple range.

But, you can only reach down so far, and there’s no way you’ll get those bottom apples unless your ladder gets shorter. Or unless you step down on the ladder, it’s not a perfect metaphor.

But, now you know how your ciliary muscle (show the pivoting arm) and the length of your eyeball (show the scaling ladder) work together.

Let’s take this back to the realm of eyesight. You’re having trouble seeing things far away. Your eye doctor gives you glasses. You can see far away now! Fabulous. Then you go home and read for a few hours with your new glasses on. While you’re doing that, your ciliary muscle is working extra hard to cancel out the strong, new, negative lens that’s making this close-up image — the book — fall behind your retina. If you do something like this every day for months and years, your ciliary muscle is going to get so overworked that your eyeball will grow a tiny bit in length to give it a break.

But now, your glasses don’t seem to be working as well as they used to, and you can’t see quite as far at a distance anymore. So, you go to the eye doctor, they prescribe you some stronger lenses, and the cycle continues.

In the next video, we’ll look at ways to break this cycle and introduce habits that can restore your distance vision over time.

39 Likes

Good article. Can’t wait to read the next one :slight_smile:

Yep got me hooked too. It flows well and makes a simple way of explaining the topic.

Suuuuuuper awesome! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That has been alot of work! Great animation, design and explanation. I’m new so I won’t comment on the accuracy of information given.

That is excellent! Standing by for the next installment!

1 Like

Amazing work Rachel, unbelievable that you made something so easy to grasp and comprehend. Can’t wait for the next episode!

4 Likes

@Adomissioner Love it. It’s brilliantly done in every respect. The graphics, the metaphors, the narrative… first class. :clap:

3 Likes

love the video. :heart_eyes: can’t wait the second one :innocent:

Thanks for this :slight_smile:

That’s brilliant!!! High quality content :grin:

Nice @Adomissioner - looking forward to the series. I’ll be planning to share with friends, especially those that might be considering new stronger glasses, or worse - corrective surgery. Would be pretty fantastic to break down all of EM.org’s information and Jake’s significant points into 6 x 5minute videos, for easy consumption. Hopefully driving interest to learn more on the site / here…

That was super well done, great job!
Very informative yet easy to understand, and I loved the animation style and the narration.
I think you can keep everything this way for the next videos, they are basically perfect!

The tone, voice, pace, terminology are all professional-sounding - it all sounds almost like you know what you’re talking about :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you all so much. I feel touched and really encouraged!

4 Likes

Loving it and looking forward to the next part.

1 Like

Fantastic! I love the apple-ladder metaphor. Really makes it easy to understand the next section on lengthening eyeball. Also, breaking the fourth wall in acknowledging that it’s an imperfect metaphor was really cute.

Good job! Please do make the next installment and let us know! :grinning:

1 Like

Love the video - beautifully done, and well explained. I was struggling a little with the apple picking metaphor, but the next segment in the video spelled it out for me.

1 Like

This is amazing. The good animations, voice-overs…etc everything was perfect!

Can / should / might we share this one in our Facebook group? Or it draft-ness just for this forum? :slight_smile: