Another newcomer, building a plan for myself and my little girl

Hey folks,

I thought I already posted in here, but I just realized that I did not. Considering that I’ve been posting elsewhere, I might as well add my story here for background.

So I’m in my early 50s, married, and have a little girl who will be turning 5 tomorrow. I’ve been wearing glasses since I was about 16 or so, though as a kid I had 20/10 vision. According to my latest prescription, I’m -6.5 with -0.50 D of astigmatism in one eye, and -5 and -0.25 D of astigmatism in the other. So my eyes have gotten a lot worse in the last 35 years or so. Though interestingly enough, my prescription hasn’t really changed in the last 8 years or so. In fact, my most recent prescription is about 0.25D weaker in my dominant eye than the last one, so my eyes have gotten a tiny bit better in the 3-4 years since my last glasses update.

I recently completed an MBA, plus I work with computers a good chunk of the day, so I probably do far too much close-up work. I had been wearing my full correction lenses, just pushed out to the tip of my nose since it always hurt my eyes to keep them at full strength. I’m pretty sure that dropped 3/4 of a diopter or something which is probably why my progression hasn’t been as pronounced recently. I have recently switched over to computer glasses though, which are pretty much my first differentials.

My little girl was recently discovered to have fairly poor eyesight in her most recent checkup, which is part of what led me here. I had come across the site a while back and read up on the basics but wasn’t sure if it was something that really made sense for me at the time. But now that my daughter may be having similar issues at a much younger age, I figured I need to do as much research as possible to get in front of it. And as Jake suggests, it’s easier to figure out for kids if at least one of the parents have been through the system, so here I am.

Luckily, I am a researcher at heart so I love to read and dig into the science of things. So I’ve been happily reading everything I can find on here, the blog, wiki, and Facebook. I finally created accounts on LeMeow and the discord server so I could engage with the community and ask questions. I’ve been able to answer most of my questions using logic and referring to other examples, but there is still quite a bit I need to learn.

I’ve built a mostly self-updating progression plan in excel based on my expectations. I know things won’t be linear so my plan is probably not realistic, but it should give me a place to start and reference when planning and plotting my actual experiences. Based on my progression plan, if everything holds true, I may be able to get rid of the need for glasses completely within the next 8 years or so.

Before then I plan to reverse my daughter’s ciliary spasm issues and hopefully keep her from ever needing to wear glasses at all… which is going to be hard since she uses a tablet for school and is addicted to it for everything else as well.

In any case, I’m planning to officially start in the next few weeks, so I look forward to engaging more with the community over the next decade or so. :slight_smile:

Sorry for the wall of text and thanks for reading.

-Merlin

6 Likes

Welcome!

I hear ya. My daughter is three and we’re trying to avoid screens at all costs. Its difficult. At three its manageable. We essentially just don’t have any screens in the house. I’m guessing it will get progressively harder as they grow up. But like everything I hope, early habits and interventions for both parents and kids will protect them.

2 Likes