Anyone else use Active Focus to get rid of ciliary spasm/NITM?

I find after 12 hours or so of discontinuing screen time, if I have really terrible NITM/ciliary spasm, I can start using active focus to help get rid of it…often while wearing differentials instead of normalized, as well as going without glasses for periods. After a few days, it seems to undo even the worst case of NITM. Everything is usually 95% back to normal in less than 4 days. After one to two days, I can start reintroducing normalized again, slowly for severe cases (like looking at a screen for a few hours in bed in the middle of the night because I can’t sleep, which I swear I’m not going to do again after this latest experience!)

Does anyone else use Active focus to help reverse ciliary spasm and/or NITM?

1 Like

I could be doing it, but I suppose it happens subconsciously. It makes perfect sense though, with AF you are also asking your ciliary muscle to alter and aid in clearing up what you’re looking at. Because it starts to move again you are alleviating the spasm somewhat. Could very well be another big upside to Active Focus.

3 Likes

That’s what I do more or less consciously after a workday (or if I spent to much time on Le Meow :sweat_smile:). Even if I take care to have regular breaks, I can see and feel I have some ciliary spasm. 10-15 minutes of AF (with or without normalized, that does not matter for me) and it’s usually gone. I think it’s the best you can do, not letting the spasm install (back) for too long.

3 Likes

Well, that‘s how I understood it, that you always should resolve your ciliary spasm, every single day and that‘s done by practicing AF.
So I always put on my normalized after close-up time and do just this. In the evening I use a mirror to add a bit of distance and focus on things behind me, trying to clear them up.

So yes, absolutely, and all what Sandra said.

3 Likes

I believe this is the premise behind the ciliary pop that Jake mentions on the blog.

Absolutely I use AF to get rid of ciliary spasm. The greatest remedy is exactly the blog post I listed: just going outside for 30 minutes to an hour. Usually what happens for me is that if my ciliary spasm is bad, I won’t be able to focus for a while and things are hard to see. And then, there will be this distinct feeling, and my eyes will feel a little cold, as if wind passed by. After that, images start to pop into place.

It’s curious, because lately I’ve been experiencing ciliary spasm in less binary terms. Ciliary spasm for me has been more like my eyes feeling slow to focus. When I have less ciliary spasm, images come into focus much faster and with little conscious effort.

EDIT: By the way, yes, sometimes using differentials to active focus helps, but I almost always find that using normalized outside is the best method to resolve ciliary spasm/NITM. I find spasm either manifests as a threshold effect (can’t focus until X amount of time trying to AF), or focusing impairment (focus slower).

2 Likes

I experience the same thing. When I have a lots of Ciliary spasm and eyestrain its really hard to AF. It really feels locked up.

1 Like