Astigmatism (180) exercises: which is the best?

As far as I know, they tend to strengthen inferior and superior rectus muscles which are weak in 180 astigmatism.

But, it seems that up-down movement isn’t that effective because I quite don’t feel muscle stretching. And as a person who knows good EOM anatomy and actions, must to say that up-down movement also strengthens inferior and superior oblique muscles which have no relationship to astigmatism. It’s a unwanted side effect.

I also found the next exercises:

1. center and down-in, center and up-in
  2. convergence from downgaze and upgaze

But these two also strengthen medial rectus muscle and it’s risky for me as I have medial rectus overaction.

?? Astigmatism has very little to do with extraoccular muscle? like most refractive error?

According to Esther Joy Van Der Werf, there is a connection

Pretty long video so I skimmed through it. There’s a lot of talk about bates method? I can understand the reasoning on how the extraocular muscles can affect the cornea shape but are there additional supporting studies besides work from Dr. Forrest?

Yes, John William Yee that even treats astigmatism up to 2 D with his Ortho C lenses.
Google his book: “The Neurological Treatment of Nearsightedness and Related Vision Problems”, not sure it’s a verbatim name of book.

I personally contacted him and he said that I have too severe unevenness of rectus muscles tension that his lens will not work for me until I have Strabismus.

Cyclotropia in up or down gaze is caused by superior and inferior rectus underaction.
So I’m sure these muscles are hypotonous in my eyes.

If he’s using Ortho C then he’s not really addressing the extraocular muscles? How does that support Dr. Forrest’s hypothesis that astigmatism is caused my uneven muscle tone of the extraocular muscles?

Ortho C is not ortho K. It does address extra ocular muscles by completely relaxing ciliary muscles.

Uneven muscle tone? Which exactly extra ocular muscles have uneven tone in Forrest’s hypothesis?

I’ve only found 1 ortho c website, and 1 post. Looks completely full of crap.

Did you watch the the video? It pretty clearly says according to Dr. Forrest astigmatism is caused by extraocular muscles pulling on the eyeball causing deformity and affecting the cornea.

1 Like

I have very strong opinion on ortho C.

No I didn’t watch the video and if you did, can you please tell me which muscles exactly deform the cornea? Is this due to under-action of inferior and superior rectus muscles?

I wouldn’t know. It’s not my hypothesis, and as it stands now it’s a hypothesis with very weak evidence.

Although, with my limited knowledge of both theories (cursory review), they’re not incompatible.

I was a heavy reader and my astigmatism matches the theory in its result. Unfortunately, I don’t believe deforming the eye with another pathology is a path to removing the first.

Gently returning the eye through new, proper habits seems to work best, if not fastest.

Nothing works fast.

1 Like

Which pathology? I guess cyclotropia will not disappear by itself, I need to exercise vertically acting rectus muscles.

Sorry, I already forgot about mentioning medial rectus overaction. Yes, and I figured out down and center movement then up and center movement works just fine, so that should also work for astigmatism (drilling by distance vision I guess necessary while doing the exercise). My eyes had a trouble looking down before exercises (they went back to center quickly and jittered), now that problem is almost solved. Once I fix lateral rectus muscle I can return to incorporating exercises either 1) or 2). I never moved my eyes freely (since age 7 or so) thus my extra ocular muscles are too weak and lazy.

You have rights to have your own opinion, and either I or you not obliged to convince.

I have enough evidence, both logical and practical, to not doubt this hypothesis.