Astigmatism slaughtered!

My eyes have been progressing beautifully over the past year with diffs, norms, and just general better habits, so when it was time for another update I decided to just go ahead and experiment with kicking the astigmatism per Felix Chang’s experience in one long-ago FB thread (not sure the date - maybe July). So, I went ahead and ordered new lenses with one extra diopter of SPH and no CYL. I started wearing them yesterday and was BEYOND thrilled to find that my visual acuity is almost exactly the same with the new lenses (-5.75, -6.75, no CYL) as it was with the last lenses (-4.75/-1.75, -5.75/-1.75)! I went into this thinking I’d probably end up ordering more lenses with some astigmatism correction, but this is crazy! I think astigmatism is no longer a thing for me! Maybe it never was, more like just some money making scheme… but whatever, I’m free!! I started off close to -10 with the astigmatism/myopia combo, but now my eyes are just trucking :laughing:

24 Likes

Wow, that’s awesome! Not only are you like halfway done, but it seems from your report that you no longer currently need astigmatism correction.

I never wanted to go down the astigmatism road, so I don’t blame you…even as a kid, I requested to my eye doctor to please leave it (0.5D of cylinder in one eye) out of the glasses when I was in high school. He obliged, and upped the sphere instead, and a year or so later, the astigmatism mysteriously vanished (as I suspected would happen)…hmmm! Unfortunately it was still a power increase, but it would have been worse if I’d gone down that astigmatism road. I only ever wore cylinder in my very first pair of glasses, which I hardly used.

Enough about me sharing my experience, and back to you, where the focus should be in this thread. Congrats!

I have also read, when I was reading some technical pubs on refraction for fun one time, that as the spherical power decreases, so too does the cylindrical tend to, in a predictable ratio. Most docs don’t cut the cylinder power as the sphere decreases, though! Think about it this way…if only the sphere is cut over time, the total astigmatism is actually increasing as you cut the sphere, because the cylinder is a larger percentage of the total power! The ratio is ∆C=2(∆S), where C=Cylinder power, and S=Spherical power, and ∆ connotes the magnitude of the difference. (It’s the same ratio you used to determine your new cylindrical power per your post above; just a different practical application of it).

4 Likes

Thank you! I love how intuitive you were at such a young age - I hope the word gets out that we really don’t have to do this whole myopia thing!

4 Likes

Thank you.
Me too! Me, too…

Word does need to get out.

Somebody serious would have a spreadsheet of all online health and fitness related communities, and sites and such, and contact information, and would be schmoozing with all those creators. Being on podcasts and writing guest articles and sharing symbiotic insights with respective audiences.

Sadly ole beardly is a total introvert, mostly just grumbling at his own reflection in the pond in his cave. :woozy_face::joy:

11 Likes

A move back in the caveman direction wouldn’t be the worst thing for the eyeballs of the world :smirk:

3 Likes

Hunting and gathering may offset the risk from the low-light myopiagenic environment, right?

3 Likes

@AmandaLegault
:confetti_ball:Congratulations!!! :tada:
I really love the title you chose!

3 Likes

Indeed! Very “make love not war” in here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Yes, so beautiful, isn’t it? :revolving_hearts:

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing :grin: keep us posted.

I’m curious Amanda,
When you do cm measurements, do you measure a certain degree of astigmatism?

To be honest I haven’t done cm measurements in a while - my excuse :joy: is because of how nearsighted i was in the beginning, it was really hard to get anything past a few cm and it frustrated the $&@# out of me, so I just stopped and gauged my progress on Snellen charts and such. When my visual acuity was the same as whatever my previous lenses were was when I’d order new lenses, and because of my astigmatism I’d always wait to update my lenses until I could read the 20/20 line clearly without any astigmatic blur. So now without any CYL and an extra diopter of SPH, I can read with the same acuity as my former lenses with CYL and lower SPH

3 Likes

wow this is great news! how long did it take you to go from -10 to your current Rx?

1 Like

Amanda you are awesome! :exploding_head:
I shall experiment with my test lens kit, since i have roughly the same astigmatism diopters as you.

Just to clarify, 20/20 in daylight or indoors nighttime artificial light?

1 Like

Started December 2017

Daylight. Artificial light is close, but not quite as clear.

1 Like

dear Amanda, your progress is amazing! Congratulations, I need to ask you a question, I see you have a small baby, did you experiment progress during pregnancy? And breastfeeding? I am under a hormone treatment right now and my vision has worsen… :sob: let me know, I am really curious :innocent:

Wow…~4 diopters in a year. I guess around half of that must have been overcorrection, no? (Maybe split between spherical and cylindrical power). And maybe a bit over a diopter of true improvement, plus a bit under a diopter taking into account normalized versus full distance. That is crazy…and there have been a bunch of people with this sort of initial progress, too, on the blog.

1 Like

@JuliaBcn That’s actually my niece, so I’m sorry I can’t help you there. I have had some hormonal issues in the past year… which haven’t affected my progress I guess. I’m sorry I have nothing :frowning:

1 Like

@FMR yup, clearly myopia shouldn’t even be a thing