At what level of (lower) myopia was your near vision still sharp with ciliary spasm?

At moderate levels of myopia, reading vision–even inside of one foot from the eyes, can be impacted by things like ciliary spasm, low light, fatigue, tiredness, etc. All my reading and thinking about the accommodative reserve or buffer got me thinking. For those who have reduced their myopia by several dioopters, at what point was your reading and extreme close vision no longer impacted by blur when you got ciliary spasm? I would guess at a certain point, near vision would tend to stay sharp, and only computer and further vision would be impacted by spasm. Or does it not work this way in practice?

I’ll read these articles soon, they sound interesting, that being said, I don’t think I ever experienced difficulties of any kind reading, even in low light at close distance, let’s say anything between 10 and 35 cm.

I do remember however reading that some people starting from -5D may have trubles reading very small font (no presbyopia involved).

for the record I’m -2.75 and I started my endmyopia journey only recently.

What does ciliary spasm feel like? I know it exists, but what are the obvious physical manifestations of it. I read uncorrected, both books and the computer screen (don’t use a cell phone), and don’t notice anything that feels like a spasm.

Mostly blur and tightness in the eyes sometimes.

1 Like

Headaches for me, and a harder time seeing close. Getting differentials for computer use 15 years ago was a lifechanger due to the elimination of eye strain headaches that were caused by ciliary issues.

I’ve been managing my ciliary spasm issues for 15 years, but its just been the last six months that I’ve thrown in active focus as well, which has led to my gains.

1 Like

You cannot feel it. Your vision is simply blurry and you have hard time to AF (or you cannot even AF).

Is this a different kind of blurry compared to the blurry that myopic eyes experience at the limit of their focus range. I am assuming that the eye is not constantly in ciliary spasm if it moves freely within its diopter bubble.

@halmadavid I beg to differ you cannot feel spasm. I felt quite a bit of discomfort in my eye at the start of EM. Mostly in my left eye and that appears to be my trouble spot. My right eye adjusts to new lenses rather quickly and has always been my less myopic one. My left eye is the dominant vision, I know this for certain, but the left eye is dependent on the clarity of the right. So my theory is the left eye is where all the spasm began and my right eye decreased trying to match the left. May be wrong on that point but that is my theory. But I have certainly felt discomfort in the eyes. And doing close up activities have been relieved by distance viewing.

2 Likes

Blur with ciliary spasm is no different than other blur. It’s like you are constantly looking close at something (because the ciliary muscle isn’t fully relaxing, causing lens compression). If you’ve ever had a leg cramp, when it goes away it’s still harder to stretch the muscle that cramped, even though the cramp is over. That is muscle spasm. Works the same way with the eye muscles when they too are overused.

1 Like