Atropine as adults therapy

Hello, everyone!

I am a newbie here, share your comments on my story.

Would you please share Endmyopia opinion on Atropine? When I was a kid it helped to reduce spasm a lot. Would it be helpful for adults condition (described in intro) or should be totally avoided?

1 Like

spasm can be reduced by paying attention to good habits, like taking break every 20 minutes and spending time outdoors.

2 Likes

I haven’t read a lot about atropine being used for myopia in adults. There are data that show it slows myopia progression in children.

Basically the cilliary spams leads to psuedomyopia (your lens is locked in the near-focus state) and if you wear distance glasses to “correct” the problem your eyeball starts getting longer (axial myopia).

Atropine should paralyze the cilliary muscle temporarily, which stops the muscle spasm temporarily, but really you need to stop creating conditions where the muscle is contracted all the time (as @balinte89 said above). You can do that by not wearing distance correction for close-up work and making sure that your screens are at the maximum distance that you can comfortably use them with minimal distance correction.

I’m curious how atropine would work for you as an adult. Eye doctors typically use it so they can dilate your pupils and stop you from accommodating (focusing on near) when they examine your eyes.

You want to get your cilliary muscle unlocked and make the spams stop, but I’m not sure if atropine would help you jump through that first hoop faster or not.

It’s an interesting question!

I have only had my pupils dilated once in my life, that was around a year ago. It was horrible, i will never do that again! I couldn’t see properly for 4 days, i could barely walk home, as I didn’t have sunglasses or anything, and everything was purple and vibrating. I couldn’t look at screens for days, almost unable to work, not to mention driving…

2 Likes

I too have only had it once and I can’t conceive of why anyone would do that to themselves or their children on a daily basis. Besides I never reach for chemicals when there is a natural solution to a problem…

5 Likes

The atropine eye-drops that they’re using for myopia prevention in kids are 100x weaker than than what they use to dilate your pupils in the eye exam room. 0.01% vs 1%. If you tried the 0.01% at night before bed, your eyes wouldn’t necessarily be dilated in the morning.

So practically it is a placebo given to parents to give them the good feeling that they are doing something to help their kids. Clever.

I don’t think so, one possibility is that atropine just zaps the cilliary muscle hard enough to prevent spasms, another is that it’s doing something to prevent the eyeball lengthening seen in axial myopia, possibly by blocking some mechanism that causes the eyeball to adjust longer over time. But if you can fix a problem with habits and lifestyle changes instead of drugs or surgery, why not try the “good habits” route first.

It’s an ancient and cheap drug (no patent), so it’s not like it’s a clever marketing scheme for boosting big-pharma profits.

To me that’s really the best method, if that’s not enough then there’s other things to try. I’m not a big fan of the “prescribe drugs to children” system that’s popular here in the USA. But that doesn’t mean that under certain circumstances the drugs are not helpful or useful to some people.