Axis for Astigmatism

If you go to two eye doctors and each prescribed a different axis number for the same eye, but both lenses work well for you, which should you keep?

Are the two measurements close? Have you tried finding the angle yourself?

1 Like

And how big is the cylinder diopter? If it’s negligible, like 0.50 or less, I’d be inclined to drop it altogether.

4 Likes

Wandering Axis of Astigmatisim

Astigmatism gone walkabout

The axis of astigmatism seems to change for some people. If you can measure yours, then you can get a handle on if this is what’s going on with you. I agree if the diopters are low, it is probably easer to try dropping them rather than figure it out.

Astigmatism is often more complex than what a simple cylinder correction can compensate for, and we don’t have really great ways of measuring that.

4 Likes

For the left eye the measurements are 170 and 172 which makes sense, but the right eye the measurements were 005 and 177 which seems confusing to me. If my astigmatism is 1.25 at it highest in one eye and .75-1.00 in the other, can it be dropped somehow?

0 and 180 are the same angle, so that’s only 8 degrees different, it’s not much change.

1 Like

No diagnosis here, but to me this is a good indication that it’s probably lens induced or exacerbated. Just pick the axes that are closest to each other and try walking it down in strength. The key is to get clarity.

Test lens kit would be great to validate you can use any potential correction you’re interested in trying.

And you could probably try diffs without cylinder. Again, test lens kit or friendly optometrist.

1 Like