Behavior Optometrist talks about limited use of low plus and low minus lenses for various mental states or psychological conditions

I found this article interesting. I kind of like the idea of having glasses locked up and children only being allowed to use them for short periods of time. I think treating myopia as “mental state” that people can fall into is an interesting idea, but I’m not sure I buy into it.

I like the author, and I think it’s an interesting topic, but a little “out there” for me.

Myopia is a mental state like depression or anxiety and lenses are drugs.

3 Likes

I think myopia IS connected to depression and anxiety. Just think about it. The default state of children is to use their vision to explore the world. Running, jumping, using near, far and peripheral vision in activities outside.

If a child is not doing this, something is obviously wrong.

1 Like

The only truth in myopia being a mental state is our eyes being made out of neural tissue so it’s technically mental in that regard. Otherwise it’s entirely a physical issue either the ciliary body is spasmed (pseudo myopia) or the eyeball is too long (lens induced myopia) interesting take but it kinda sounds like this opto is speaking bates method nonsense.

1 Like

That’s sort of my main reaction to it as well. But then I’m thinking there are obvious personality changes that can happen if you drink alcohol or take stimulants etc. (Lower inhibitions, more risk-taking, longer attention span…) It wouldn’t shock me if lenses can actually do something similar. Certainly they can make you dizzy or mess up your motor skills (if you put on your friend’s glasses, for example). Maybe there are actual drug-like effects they can exert.

In animals they put blinders on horses to keep them from startling. Maybe in actual ADHD kids short 20 minute use of minus actually “does something” like he says he’s observed in kids that have been sent to him.

He’s talking about using lenses for mental effects rather than just helping to see the book or the screen. It’s an interesting concept I haven’t thought about before.

1 Like

Honesty if EM had a merchandise page, I’d direct Jake to you to suggest products to sell :rofl:
EM branded brock strings, prisms, slight plus and minus lenses, all kinds of manipulations to the lenses - and only the imagination is the limit…
Go go gadget boy :grin:

I love gadgets but with vision I prefer not getting used to other crutches. Surely some may help, but I’ll just keep myself away from them and go the natural path…

No offence, just having a laugh at our differences

1 Like

Nothing unnatural in or crutch like about the Brock string though, it’s just something to look at that makes it obvious if you’re using both eyes or suppressing one eye. (It can be surprisingly difficult to tell.) It’s pretty much like a Snellen chart but for binocular vision. Extremely handy. If you have beads and a string you can make one for free. Very clever invention.

Eye charts? We don’t need no stinkin’ eye charts…

In all seriousness though, all these tools have their place. You could build a house without nails or using a level… You can bake stuff in an oven without a thermostat… It just works a lot better if you use the proper tools to diagnose and fix problems. Some percentage of the people complaining about double vision could probably fix their own problems with a Brock string.

I promote habit and behaviour changes and you seem to go scientific and promote gadgets.
I do have brock strings, handy gadgets to bring the lazy eye back to the team, won’t deny. But I’ll stay with recommending free habits :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

That would be like doing the way our non myopic grandmas did. Just knowing when it is hot enough :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Part of habit change is realising that you’re doing something. If you don’t have a clock it’s hard to know if you’re running late or not.

I’m sure a bunch of people here have binocular vision issues and don’t realise it. It’s rare to get checked for that unless there’s an obvious problem.

The conflict is an imaginary one unless you’re advocating throwing glasses away and running around naked. Lenses good, prism bad?

There’s something to be said for a minimalist approach and keeping things simple (a lot to be said) but there’s also merit to using the full arsenal.

Ultimately whatever works is the right answer. If you don’t test and measure things you only have a rough idea of where you are.

Damn hippies!

1 Like