Better vision in evening?

I’m trying to figure out if I’m weird or if this is common with other folks. From everything I’ve read, most people here seem to suggest that their visual acuity is best in the morning and gets progressively worse throughout the day and into the evening. Particularly if they do more close up or screen work during the day.

I find that I am the opposite. If I check my cm readings in the morning, and then check again in the afternoon or evening after spending the majority of the day on the PC, I find that my cm measurements improve throughout the day and peak after midnight. They do not appear to be negatively impacted by my computer use. (Though I do wear differentials with a 67cm edge of blur, so I’m am effectively getting distance vision most of that time since I am usually at 80-90cm.)

My wife isn’t doing EM, but she says the same thing applies to her. Her vision improves throughout the day. She had Lasik done about 20 years ago and is pretty close to 20/20 still. She also spends way more time than me on her phone and it doesn’t seem to affect her too much.

Does anyone else experience the same thing? Do you have an explanation for it?

2 Likes

I have definitely experienced this as well at times.

My guess so far has been that if I’ve spent a day doing active focus on my screen, the distance to the screen will be more consistently cleared up by the evening, or at least I’m finding it much easier to clear moments of blur that may happen. When I’m really tired this doesn’t work though.

1 Like

My vision improves a little in the first hour or so most days I think. As I get closer to full 20/20 in my current normalized, my clear vision lasts further into the evening. This is my normal.

Recently, I have been seeing a noticeable clearing some nights as late as midnight. Hasn’t happened many times, and never that I remember with past reduction.

I don’t understand why your vision would continue to improve throughout the day, but I don’t doubt you. Do you notice a change in your distance vision, or is it just the cms that you see changing?

2 Likes

For me there is a bunch of factors.

• Intensity of nearwork activity
  • how well im doing 20/20/20
  • Airconditioning
  • Quality and length of my big midday walk
  • weather conditions (obv. bright sunny day is best)

If all these are working against me. My vision is worse in the evening
If everything is going well. My vision is better in the evening.

hypothesis: Maybe you’ve got some good habits going? :smiley:

1 Like

I see both an increase in cm and in visual acuity in terms of how far I can see with my differentials. My differentials are tuned to allow me to see clearly at 67cm and that is about how far my blur horizon is to begin with. But later in the evening, especially after midnight, I can see much further. For example, last night it felt like I was getting perfect clarity with both eyes at 80cm, which is an increase of about 0.25 diopters in distance. Right now as I write this, I can see close to 80 cm with my left eye, but my right eye is probably closer to 75cm or so. I expect that to continue to improve.

I don’t know about that. I don’t really do much different than usual at this point other than wearing my differentials when I’m on my computer.

During the day I’m usually chasing my 5-year old around or helping her with home school, but in the evenings after she goes to sleep I am generally on my computer (for 8+ hours) doing research and catching up on the forums, etc. I haven’t really started to take walks yet, but I do try to practice the 20-20-20 rule since my desk is near a window. I’m in California so we do get a lot of sun most of the day. At night time I look at distant objects in my home.

I’ve always been a “night person” though and I usually don’t go to sleep until like 4-5 am. So maybe my biology has adapted to night vision. :wink:

1 Like

thats an interesting factor

2 Likes

Of course, it could also be a sign of improvement maybe? I don’t think so since my cm measurements overall haven’t really changed. They bounce around the same values with a range of about ± 1.5 cm in either direction on a day to day basis.

I got these differentials about two weeks ago and I have been wearing them since then. However, I also grabbed some that are +0.25 diopter in both eyes. At the time I got them to test with since I wasn’t sure which one my eyes would prefer… I figure I would use them as my “next” differential in any case.

During the day my current diffs work fine for blur horizon, but by the end of the night, they are pretty clear without any blur. So I may need to switch to my alternate differentials earlier than planned… or maybe only in the evening.

1 Like

Are you up to your first normalised yet?

I’ve ordered them, but it’ll be another week or two before they appear.

I’m using the full correction glasses I was most recently prescribed. They are actually a bit lower than my last pair (the ophthalmologist dropped 0.25 cyl in one eye and 0.25 sph in the other) so I’ve been wearing them for the last few weeks to get used to the new normal. In a way, they are kind of like normalized though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Merlin93

You might to have esophoria, either only distant or at near - the latter is much worse.
It means it could slow down your gains.
And progressive myopia before EndMyopia.
The reason is close up strain every time you close your eyes or go to sleep.
My opinion is eye can elongate just by ciliary muscle contraction. Hyperopic defocus could only aggravate it.
Try to assess your default eye placement either yourself or by a professional.

I bet in case my esophoria could have been eliminated at childhood, I even would not know what is high myopia (or even not high). My hypothesis.

Not sure who you mean by “you”, I don’t think it’s me but I’ll still chip in. One optometrist had mentioned that I had heterophoria - I can’t remember if it was exophoria or esophoria.

Esophoria is associated with myopia and high myopia.
Appropriate study is at Near esophoria associated with high myopia

Exophoria should not have impacts on myopia (maybe it has on astigmatism).

So if I’m understanding you right, you’re saying that the action of the muscles that corrects for esophoria is contributing to myopia? So the theory would be that when they get tired and relax, the myopia gets better?.. Not sure I’m following.

Muscles creating esophoria contract and the ciliary muscle contracts with them (convergence-accommodation reflex).

Accommodation (and excessive accommodation with high esophoria comparable to looking at 25 cm or less), when done without breaks for hours leads to close up strain. Which contributes to myopia in long-term.

We relax but eyes no, because muscles have incorrect resting tone and muscles turning eyes in, as well as ciliary muscle, contract all time. The pattern obviously continues as we sleep, because eyes move within incorrect pattern when we have dreams. That should lead to close up strain at least every time we have dreams.

That is how I explain sleeping reversing my gains and turns them opposite when I don’t stare for hours at blur.

Hm that’s interesting, I hadn’t considered that. So it’s a bit like a ciliary spasm, but instead of only the ciliary muscle being involved (as is often mentioned here), you have the medial rectus muscle implicated as well because of the accommodative reflex loop? I don’t remember exactly how that reflex works, but it sounds plausible.

So… tiredness in the evening -> drop in medial rectus muscle tone -> drop in ciliary muscle tone -> less myopia?

Since you seem to have read a lot on the topic, any theories what is causing the increased medial rectus muscle tone?

Edit: Thanks, reading up on this gave me flashbacks of studying the cranial nerves: genuinely learned them with this :smile:

It’s lateral rectus muscle tone decreased, then medial rectus tone increased.

In myopia and high myopia in particular, there is an increase of angle between lateral and superior rectus muscle insertions, so lateral rectus muscle is displaced inferiorly and can’t oppose medial rectus. If this is critical enough, esophoria and esotropia onsets.

Then, degenerative changes usually set in.
Medial rectus can develop fibrosis due to constant overaction. This aggravates stiffness.
Lateral rectus muscle fibers could transform into collagen fibers, leading to muscle atrophy.

Interesting, makes sense. What are your thoughts on the cause of this imbalance of muscle tone? Is it simply spending too much time with close-up work, in that state of convergence or do you see something else?

Yes about people which have weak homeostasis.

Apart from genetics, which I see as well supernatural forces to be the driver of; as I said, the efficacy of LR and SR muscles would decrease with increase of myopia. This results in spasmed MR and esophoria or tropia.

I used to have a pattern of visual acuity improving from morning until about 2pm and then declining. So was improving until my brain got exhausted.
In winter time, when I can only walk in the dark anyway, if I lose stimulus I’ll add back a 0.25D and that usually means that I’m clearing blur in the dark. On other days it’s only the neon lights far away that give me clearable blur. But these don’t work when I’m very tired.

1 Like