Bifocals with Normalised and Differentials

Hi,

I couldn’t find anything on this but here’s my question:-

What if one has Normalised and Differentials in one spectacles, like a bifocal form? So that there’s no need to swap glasses frequently. Has anyone tried or is it not advisable, if so why not?

Many thanks again.

1. You’re not supposed to reduce both your normalized and differentials at the same time. If you have bifocals you cannot do that, or your reductions will be more expensive
  2. With bifocals the “differentials” part is on the bottom of the lenses. Using that for screen is simply not comfortable at all for prolonged time. So you either will have neck / back / etc. pain, or you simply won’t use the differential part
  3. The two different focal plane distance will mess with your eyes’ natural peripheral vision

Bifocals are only good if you really switch frequently between close-up and distance for your work. But even then you should have a separate normalized and differentials for prolonged distance and close-up vision.
It’s not a “short-cut”, it’s not even cheaper.

1 Like

What about progressive lenses?

I see what you mean with bifocals being uncomfortable for long. That’s why I don’t have correction lens for my presbyopia. I do switch focus a lot throughout the day, mainly indoor. I end up not wearing glasses most of the time, hence must have blur adaptation by now.

I think with regards to progressive lens, the issue would still be the same, being one part of the lens only being used at a time, hence not comfortable and not good for peripheral vision. Am I getting this right?

So how do you guys switch glasses? Carry them in pockets? I tie mine round the neck but I only have one pair glasses.

1 Like

I had diffs on the computer desk and norms kind of following me around the house, taking them off to see at near. I stopped wearing diffs as I wasn’t able to make good use of them.

I don’t often have suitable pockets and glasses don’t always come out clean and risk bending from activity. Now I intend to put my norms on a chain around my neck as soon as I can find where I put it.

Bifocals actually might be nice in this case because when working at near uncorrected, looking out the window is blurred . Wearing norms, it’s tough to see things I’m working on.

Transition lenses remove mid-range vision practice. On top of that, to find the right spot to see through, I had to move my head about. If I were to go back, I would not ever get them.

Folks, Jake has thoroughly discussed these issues. We don’t need to speculate blindly.

1 Like

You only need to use differentials when you do prolonged constant distance close-up. Eg.: computer, book reading, etc. So you don’t need to carry your differentials with you all the time, you only need it to some very specific activities. For everything else, just use the normalized.

1 Like

Oh right, has he? I’m not using the right key word search then. Sorry about that but I did find a video last night. It was under ‘progressive lens’, although he said that it would work for presbyopia, which I don’t quite understand but will look into it.

Thank you for all your replies.

If you have presbyopia, wearing normalized around generally can give blur to things in the near range. This would be why a biofocal lens may be useful. I get the idea most presbyopes here don’t go that way though. Neither do I.

If you can wear normalized and see what you’re doing at various distances with some accommodation that’s ideal.

The truth is that, since they don’t apply to me, I haven’t paid much attention to the presby issues, but I had the impression that we were against bifocals (and definitely against those “progressive” lenses, a work of the devil).

2 Likes

Right! I got progressive lenses before I started EndMyopia. What a WASTE of money.

1 Like

I was given a trial pair of progressive contacts to try for a week. (For a long time I had been wearing distance lense in my left eye and closeup lense in my right eye. But I was having trouble reading, so I folowed the “expert” advice and tried progresssives.) It was during that week that I not only found that they sucked but also saw the Jakey on an interview with Luke Storey! I had paid in advance for a six-month supply of contacts but, believe it or not, the optos refunded my money with no question!

1 Like

Amazing! I didn’t even ask.

Like you, I end up going without glasses most of the time. I think I am also dealing with blur adaptation. It seems it would be important to wear norms around the house, but I just keep taking them off and leaving them somewhere. That’s why I want them on a chain.

EDIT: I was developing a habit of looking down under the lenses to see what was close up. My new glasses are too big to do that.

Thanks all. Think I’ll start by working on a pair of normalised.

“EDIT: I was developing a habit of looking down under the lenses to see what was close up. My new glasses are too big to do that.”

Ah, memories! I did that too.

1 Like

I do this, but only for the briefest moments, under 30 seconds for sure, any longer I take my glasses off. But it is handy to be able when needed.

1 Like

Yes, I also had progressive lenses before discovering EndMyopia. Tried to cope with both computer screens and distance vision with that one pair of (expensive) glasses. I’m much happier now, when using the right amount of minus for each distance. And I learn computer things much faster, when I can see the screen clearly also in the periphery. And no need for any weird postures anymore. (But I do understand for example sales people - e.g. those who sell glasses - they may like to switch between near and far instantly, so they recognize people immediately when they enter the shop.

1 Like