Blur Adaptation, High Myopia

Hi everyone, as I have gone without glasses for very long, and since I have been doing a lot of close-up work without letting my eyes follow the 20-20-20 rule ever since my eyes from in -1 diopter in 2013, my eyes have slowly worsened to -3.50 now. I believe another reason for this is because I have refused to wear glasses, and wanted to correct myself using those “eye exercises” that seemed to help but not in the long run.

Recently when I have been trying active focus, I just didn’t seem to get the stimulus to push away the blur, no matter how much I tried, and that is when I realised I would have been blur adapted. Since I have been living in blur since a very young age (currently 19), I believe that my eyes would not have understood what real clarity means. Therefore, now I have gotten my full prescription glasses of -3.50.

My question then would be, what are the dos and don’ts that I am supposed to be doing with my full prescribed glasses?

1. Should I continue to wear them for close up work, or just use it for distance vision, and get differentials for close up?
  2. Roughly long should I wear my full prescribed glasses for?
  3. Can I still performed active focus, with my differentials, if I wear them for close up?
  4. When I am performing the 20-20-20 rule, and look out of my window, do I wear my fully prescribed glasses, undercorrected normalized glasses, or no glasses?

I saw the video of @jakey of correcting low myopia blur adaptation, however, I was just a bit confused for people with high myopia, like mine. Am grateful for your response! Thank you very much! Feel free to add more suggestions if I am going in the write pathway!

1 Like

Don’t wear your distance glasses for close-up work!
Get a much lower prescription (differentials) to use for close-up work.

If I were you I’d wear them outdoors at night or anytime you’re using distance vision in dim light (sitting in the back row of a lecture hall) or if there’s a safety issue like driving a car. I’d be reluctant to wear them during the daytime if they’re too strong, because you don’t want your eyes adjusting to become even more myopic from wearing over-corrected glasses.

You want to practice “text pushing” which is moving the book or computer as far away from your face as you can without it getting blurry. This will at least make it so you’re not doing as much damage with the computer. You still want to get outside as much as possible. You can probably do some active focus indoors with the computer (it gets blurry, you blink and clear it up.) If it’s staying blurry you’ll have to move the computer a little closer. Your real gains from active focus though (in my opinion) will come from being outdoors.

I would wear under-corrected normalized glasses for looking out the window if I were you. No glasses would at least give your eyes a little rest from staring at the screen, but really you want to be seeing as much detail as you can out the window. You don’t want to be wearing glasses that are so strong that they do all the work even when your eyes are stuck in “near mode”.

When you’re indoors you’re mostly trying to avoid doing more damage to yourself from excessive screen time. DO NOT wear your distance glasses to look at a phone or a screen right in front of your face!

When you’re outside and wearing slightly less than full correction you should be able to make actual improvement.

If you haven’t already, start measuring your distance to blur and put up an eye chart somewhere you can practice every day.

Good luck!

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your input! But the problem I think I face is that my eyes are not accustomed to real clarity, so poor little fellows would not know what is clear and what is not, so active focus might not be able to work, so I wasnt sure! Would be great if you could provide your opinion on this, thanks a lot!

1 Like

You could try wearing them outside for a month or so (for distance only!) and that ought to be enough time to get used to full clarity. Don’t wear them to read a book or look at a screen or for most indoor activities, where they’ll be providing much more correction than you need and therefore forcing your accommodation system (focus at near) to work overtime and get into cilliary spasm leading to lens-induced myopia.

alright! for the rest of the time, ill wear my differentials for close up! Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Agree with @nycmao

As for clarity:
How do you know if you should see more details?

You are supposed to read the departure times on the boards at the stations, you are supposed to read the shop signs from the other side of the road, the signs of the aisles in the supermarket, the menu above the counter in the cafe, the ads on the opposite platform, the bus number from a certain distance to decide if it is your bus or not, recognise your friends’ faces from a certain distance and greet them, etc.
Or you can go on walks and check how far you can read number plates. Usually 20/40 is required for driving without glasses which is about 5 cars parked along the pavement or a car at 20 meters. When I dropped from norms, I could usually read number plates up to about 3-4 cars’ distance depending on the weather and the time of the day, when I was ready to drop again I could read up to 7 cars’ distance most of the time. That is about a good indication how clear your distance vision is.

More on this here

2 Likes

I think it’s not the eyes but the brain. After going uncorrected most of my life, my experience has been that regularly when driving (with correction) I will misinterpret what I am seeing. My conclusion has been that it is because I haven’t had the developmental experience of seeing clearly and learning how to observe and interpret the environment.

But active focus can still work. For me the Snellen chart works best, but objects outdoors are not yet a good target for me. I’ve never been able to read road signs well for some reason. But I’m getting better at noticing things. I just found yesterday that I can see traffic lights a mile in the distance that I never knew was possible before. We’re probably not like children, but we can still improve.

2 Likes