Blur --> Double Vision --> Natural Accomodation?

There’s been quite a bit of talk on other threads about Double Vision (DV)

Sounds like most people follow this trajectory:

Blur → Double Vision → Clarity

But I had a query about Accomodation.
Does healthy accomodation essentially have a slight amount of blur or even DV?

Should there always be a certain amount of accomodation that your eye is doing?
Especially with distance vision?
Like, if you’re getting absolutely zero accomodation when doing distance vision does that mean you’re overprescribed?

So should the trajectory be?:

Blur → Double Vision → Clarity (but with a healthy amount of accomodation)

Thanks

2 Likes

Yes. The important thing is that your double vision clears up, and not how perfect your non-AF acuity is. Of course the other rules still apply like don’t reduce if your new normalized gives less than 20/50 vision, and if you reduce and double vision instantly appears then you’ve reduced too fast (but that’s fine for now, just notice for next reduction).

4 Likes

I’m probably guilty of that :smiley:, double vision with headaches (with differentials). They worst of it only last for few days, thankfully.
I think in my case I have to. I can work at the computer only as far as 1mt away, that’s the max distance I can put between the screen and mouse & keyboard. I spent three months trying for more clarity before I got the new differentials, but I had failed to achieve any further progress. (Could be different for others)

Now that I can work without glasses, maybe I’ll have to invest in bigger monitors and wifi keyboards… or positive lenses… or going outside more and not spending my whole day in front of a computer screen. :thinking:
I don’t watch TV, so I can’t think about any other indoor activity to get enough stimulus.

2 Likes

Plus lenses are not recommended for more than a 10-20 minutes per day by Jake. But I think with good habits that 1m should be enough,

2 Likes

I have been having a thought/impression that may be wacko, and I’ve not found anything that discusses it quite this way, so bear with me: since double vision tends to come up in the last laps of clearing up our accuity, is it possible that blur exists on a continuum in which, in its most extreme form, blur is made up of a large (infinite?) number of more or less faint images that we see as blur, but as they clear up or come together in Endmyopia, they sometimes become reduced to only two more or less distinct images that then get unified as the final step in the process? I almost never have double vision, but when I’m doing active focus, I sometimes have the impression that the clarity comes, not just in a flash but in very, very rapid stages, the last one of which (although it happens so fast I can’t capture it if I wanted to) is a quick passage through double vision.

No unicorns! Honest!

3 Likes

Sounds like a kaleidoscope :slight_smile:

@DirkVA
Here comes “No unicorns! Honest!” ver2

I always think about it as the improvement of the “team of 3” - 2x eyes and the brain.
So with full prescription each of my eyes can see clearly and my brain can put the 2 clear images together correctly, to overlap fully. When I drop 0.25D, I introduce blur and the eyes work to clear the blur and the brain is trying to put the 2 changed images together in another way to get better end result with the image processing. As my eyes improve and the 2 separate images from the 2 eyes get clearer and clearer, my brain needs to process the 2 images slightly differently since using the old way would result in ghosts or DV (pushing the 2 images not close enough to overlap properly, or overpushing from routine and the ghost appearing on the other side of the main image). Initially I have both blur and calibration issues so I don’t really notice the difference, but once the blur is mostly resolved in the eyes the calibration issue becomes more obvious and more annoying and that will manifest with ghosts or DV as my brain is working hard with the 2 clear images to merge into 1 perfectly overlapping image only.

High myopes have different PD for distance vision and close-up, about 3mms. I hold the theory that similarly there is a fracture of a mm that needs to be recalibrated in the coordination of the eyes as approaching 20/20.
I think I notice this more because I wear / wore contact lenses only and with contacts you don’t have the centre of the glasses to guide your eyes and keep the distance of the 2 eyes as should be…

3 Likes

I think you pretty much nailed what happens :slight_smile:

1 Like