Can’t Start My Journey

Hello, I cant start my journey and here’s why:

I don’t have my first pair of differentials or 20/20 glasses yet. The optometrist is preparing it, but it’s been a while now. I’m just going to keep waiting so what can I do in the mean time? Read and watch more stuff, just going outside, and keep measuring?

3 Likes

I suppose it depends on your diopter but you could try active focus within your visual capability. Or maybe something like print pushing although it is not an official EM method it may help you figure out how your eyes can adjust. Do you have old prescriptions? And as always taking the time to understand the EM way with research.

1 Like

Based on my cm to blur, it’s -2.5 in both eyes. I sometimes use my -1.75/-2.25 glasses to do active focus, and when I read I also try to do active focus. But most of the times when it’s sunny, it’s easy to do AF and things are very clear.

Well then I would say you can start by not using lenses when you don’t need them especially if that includes phone use. I started at -3 and computer use was limited so I just made it a rule to not look at my phone with glasses. I wore contacts always before so it was a big deal for me. And I noticed strain looking at my phone rather quickly. It doesn’t last forever but it really changed the ciliary spasm and made me aware of it.

2 Likes

hey chloeo welcome :smiley: i also started around -3.0 .good luck :D. yep basically make notes about what you read on endmyopia in keypoints then everyday you can summarise whatve you learn reading it in less than a minute and soon youll remember what you need to do everyday basically.

1 Like

So what did the opto measure you for? I remember you said you were quite undercorrected and unsure about your current vision.

1 Like

Based on what I remember, the Opto said that my left eye went up by 2 “clicks” and my right went up by 1. So I guess it’s -2.25 in left and -2.5 in right.

You can try reading in the shade on sunny days without correction. You should be able to push your distance with the good light and get active focus there. As long as you keep as much natural light as possible you should be able to do much of your close up without correction at a distance sufficient to minimize convergence concerns.
You should also keep working toward better habits: good breaks, outside time looking at the distance etc. Good habits take time to build so build them into your routine now, including the first and last 20-30 minutes of the day without correction, or static close up.
Finally if getting your correction through your opto is a hurdle, cancel the order and order online, it still takes time to come in but going forward you can anticipate that and order a little in advance.

1 Like

That’s a vague starting point… Did you not ask for the specifics? What glasses are actually made for you? Maybe there’s cyl added or other things that you will not be aware of but will work against your improvement journey?

The opto seemed pretty friendly I would say. I asked her what the reason of our nearsightedness was, and she said it was because our eyes were locked up because of closeup. I asked her if it was possible to get 2 prescriptions, one for closeup because when I use my full correction in front of the computer, my eyes get tired. She said that she would write down a lower prescription for my computer use, and keep a stronger correction for school and everyday things. It’s been 2 weeks since I’ve been there, and I think that they are making my glasses now and maybe later they will include a piece of paper with my prescription. As far as I know, I don’t have CYL or anything added, but I guess I’ll find out soon.

1 Like

UPDATE:

I got my glasses from the opto, or maybe I should say that someone else picked them up for me, so I couldn’t get to ask what my prescription was. They gave me glasses in a case and a slip of paper which didn’t include my prescription. I know that my right eye is -2.5 and my left eye is either -2.25 or -2.5. Any tips?

Maybe try calling them?

2 Likes

I finally was able to get my prescription and it’s -2.5 O.D and -2.25 O.S. In the past, I didn’t have any astigmatism, but now there’s something new added, and it’s
Cylinder
OD: D.S,
axis 155
Add:
OD: +0.5
These terms are still new for me and does this mean I have astigmatism?
But then I think that the “Add” part is where the optician said she would write it down for closeup use when I asked her if I could get a prescription for computer use.

And I will be reading and watching lots of videos and links of astigmatism.

Congratulations. You just received your first unnecessarily complex prescriptions.
What you describe is a pair of bifocal glasses with a tiny touch of astigmatism.
(CYL is astigmatism. 0.25 cyl = 0.125D sph => totally negligible; add means bifocal glasses,0.5D less for reading at the bottom of the lenses; 0.25 sph difference simply means the natural eye dominance for most people)

If these were my eyes with my prescription, I wouldn’t order the glasses and I wouldn’t wear them. Because my work is laptop based, I’d check if I could see the monitor without any corrections at a reasonable distance. For me that starts at 50cms. If yes, I wouldn’t wear glasses while working, if no, I’d order very weak equal sph only differentials that I’d determine based on cm measurement over 2 weeks. For distance I’d order glasses with equal lenses, no cyl, no add, sph only with -2D or -1.75D - depending on repeated checks on Snellen on different days at different times with different lights.

3 Likes

So I can totally ignore the astigmatism part and just get differentials? These past few weeks I have been unmotivated and so my last cm measurement was late July. So I guess I’ll start measuring again, and based on those measurements, I will get my first pair of differentials. And thank you for your help! :slight_smile: