Can we start with normalized?

I have a friend who will start his endmyopia journey. His full correction is R: -4.25 -1x180 L: -4 -0.25x180. he can perform close up activities at a distance of 23 cm without correction. can he start with normalized first? then after 4 to 6 weeks he bought his first differential.

Normally, differentials are used initially because the starting journey involves learning how to active focus and removing ciliary spasm. Once those two are learned, there would be a large reduction with the first normalized lens. I started with normalized as I was still learning and making mistakes (still making mistakes currently), but it did not stop me from improving.

3 Likes

What if he learns to do active focus with normalized?

He can do close up activities without glasses at 23 cm blur horizon so he doesn’t get ciliary spasm easily and doesn’t get hyperopic defocus

So, in your opinion, can he start with normalized first?

In mostly everyone’s experience, active focus is easiest to learn with differentials. Jake’s guide always involved supporting the eye improvement of the visual cortex by learning this from differentials towards the normalized. This means that learning active focus, rewiring bad to good eye habits and even transitioning from high myopia to low myopia is relatively easier.

If you read more on active focus, there are 2 types: active pushing and active pulling. With differentials, you would deal with pushing and with normalized, pulling. It’s not easy to learn active focus from normalize, but it is possible.
In my experience, doing closeups with 23cm is not good because the magnitude of blur change with slight movements is larger compared to having differentials with a distance of at least 50cm. EM method involves clearing up slight amount of blur and that’s not easy obtain if with high myopes. I found active focus when i started using differentials because I was still learning things.

To answer this question, it is suggested to start with differentials, but he can start normalized if starting with differentials is not possible. How to start, for me, does not matter as long as he starts early and progress will be made.

My cynical thought when I first read this was, “Sure, if we can dispense with the, ‘My friend has been doing endmyopia for six months and gotten no improvement’” post six months from now.

It is a DIY project, after all. Rationalizations are something the customers add.

But if your friend reads enough and learns enough, maybe he’ll miss cutting a few corners and actually get some improvements.

4 Likes

Did you tried to do close-up from 23 cm? I cannot imagine that’s comfortable, ergonomic distance for anyone. So if he doesn’t get differentials, most likely after a short time of struggling he will just use the normalized for close-up. And then you have ciliary spasm.
If he would be at -2.00 and having an edge of blur at 40 cm, then yeah, maybe skipping differentials would work. But most likely it won’t at 23 cm.

4 Likes

When I started Endmyopia I didn’t do complete research , so i didn’t know about using differentials first then normalised, i just read some articles in the website and started directly with differential and normalised glasses from the day I got them.
it worked well for me. my eyes were improving :slightly_smiling_face: ,and I just continued that.

1 Like

That can work. Most likely the problem is just you waste a set of glasses. But in the opening comment the idea is to just get normalized without differentials. That only works if you can do close-up comfortable without differentials.

6 Likes

my optometrist gave me normalized for general use when i went in to see how he does myopia control so yes thats the optometrists version

1 Like

You friend would do well to do the research personally… that said the method works best when applied as recommended. That is not to say every other approach is doom to fail, everyone is different, and it can work out. But setting up unnecessary hurdles, doesn’t really help in most cases. 4-6 weeks of working at 23cm is not ideal to say the least. And what would one do for computer use? That is not an acceptable distance to use a computer at. And using normalized for it is counter productive. Releasing ciliary spasm (and not reintroducing it) is the first step of the method. Differentials are hugely instrumental here.

3 Likes

depends. my normalized relieved ciliary spasm too lol

but in this case Id say maybe talk to an optometrist whos known to prescribe intermediate dist glasses

1 Like

I did say it can be done other ways. Anyone who knows anything about my story knows I got off to a rocky start. I managed, but I would do it differently if I had it to do again.

3 Likes

It’s all a good learning experience. I wouldn’t change a thing other than taking a break from EM.

1 Like

My friend can do close up at 23 cm comfortably because he can use smartphone.

1 Like

I have to concur on this point. The excitement of the possibility led me to do a lot of dumb things that took valuable time and unnecessary cost. I hadn’t joined or read all of this forum, and there are a few wise voices here that counsel patience, following a process, and more patience.

If I could go back to August 2019 and start over, I’m pretty sure I’d be further along than I am, and have fewer glasses to sort through when I’m looking for something specific.

1 Like