Cause of myopia found, accommodative range and retina vs eye muscles

1. Cause of my myopia found

It is evident now that esophoria is the cause of my myopia.
I lose 1/8 to 1/2 of diopter through night.

To reduce this prior to treatment, I use only one eye for close up now.
I closed my left eye all time while in front of laptop. My next wonder was why my left eye sees so bad now after days of closing it for close up yet having normal distance vision time for both eyes. Left corrective lens was “normal” and then it became “too weak”.
I figured out my left eye goes worse after night time. The reason behind it is eye turns in while closed and muscle turning the eye in develops more spasm with consequential accommodative loop and “close up strain”.

Then I started to close right eye. A big discovery was left eye went better while right eye went worse. Left corrective lens is now “too strong”. The same case is with right eye…

Yesterday I left both eyes open working at laptop. Despite considerable amount of distance vision yesterday and improvement of vision, my vision overnight worsened so much that left corrective lens was rather “very weak”.

Let’s imagine what is going to happen for years of this damned route - in past, my distance to the laptop was 30-40 cm and I stared at it like for 3-8 hours without a single break or just switching close up activity, because my eyes won’t realign into distance and I simply neglected my distance vision with both eyes - basically, I’ve had “alternating esotropia”.

2. Accommodative range (exactified)

With -7 CLs, I have
R 10.5 cm (-9.5)
L 10 cm (-10)
As a nearest point of clear vertical lines.

Let’s put it into full correction “sphere without cylinder” power: -8 for right and -8.5 for left.

We get
R -8 - (-7 + (-9.5)) = 8.5 D
L -8.5 - (-7 + (-10)) = 8.5 D

And that is minimum accommodative range for 22.5 years. Definitely not the case if I am not like “early presbyopic”. By the way, some studies show myopes of middle age have more accommodative range than emmetropes and hyperopes - in my opinion, the reason could be overcorrection and lens thinning.

Then, it appears something has “eaten” additional 1-3 D of accommodation. I guess this would be to the less myopic side since I already try very hard to accommodate even more. And that suggests for accommodative spasm (it’s not liftable by cycloplegia) and less axial myopia (expected to be -6~-8 instead of -9).

3. Retina vs eye muscles

A disheartening finding is found when I try to accommodate my very best - I encounter darkening (just like “blacking out”) of my middle (not central and not peripheral) field of vision. It resolves after a few seconds extreme accommodation is halted. It will be interesting to know whether anyone on this forum has it that way or this is some sort of pathology/overthinning that can lead even to retinal detachment.

I hope you now have enough information to stop going along this damned route. :wink: Hopefully your accommodative range will increase as you reduce in myopia. I have gained about 2D in both eyes, without losing the near points that I had when I started. Don’t compare yourself to any age range for your accomodative power - it seems that you have other problems that account for your loss of accommodation, and it sounds as if you created some of them yourself…

Perhaps you should take it slowly when relearning how to accommodate to near vision with both eyes open. I am taking it very slowly with bringing my left eye back into screen distance vision with a one-lensed diff. I am beginning to be able to merge the two images more quickly, but 10 minutes of this is enough to give me headache and pain in the sinus region. I only do this once a day. It seems to me that you are inclined to go to extremes.

What makes you assume that the problem of darkening comes from your retina? It may be other effects of the EOMs being asked to do what they have not done for years. Don’t ask me what I think it could be - I have no idea, but am just suggesting that you do not jump to conclusions.

I do wish that you could consult a top-class vision therapist. DIY is all very well, but there are limits to its safety. You will still need your eyes for a very long time.

1 Like

Markiyan, it is expected that you’re losing acuity from the eye you’re not using.
A good chunk of EM is about fighting against the eye returning to the current rest position, there’s a reason why we’re sticking to the edge of blur, because doing so slowly shifts the meaning of that rest position.

You can gain a greater range of accomodation thanks to practice, but you still have to wait for the eye to actually change, and not using one eye may lead to slower progress.

I too see weaker early in the morning, requiring about 1-2 hours before my eyes can focus to their full capacity, I expect this is true for most if not everyone.

I think I know what you mean about darkening, the kind that looks brighter for a moment when you blink, right? (As if that zone were more excitable to light)
I used to get them years ago, but they usually went away after few minutes, do yours persist?
They stopped happening to me as I improved, these days I only see temporary small bright spots very rarely , which I assume is the retina wrinkling while shrinking or something like that.

Keep in mind that my vision only got as bad as -3.25 before I started improving. So I don’t know how much of this is relatable to your situation.

Anyway, if you have esophoria, can’t you just tilt your head around 24/7 so you equally balance your extraocular muscles?
I’ve been doing the same, because it seems to help the quality of my active focus, if I stand still for too long I feel like I’m losing focusable range. Also should defeat some astigmatism induced by bad habits of looking at extreme directions too long.

I can confirm that from -1.50 diopters (and below) for close-ups with almost zero outside, this strategy has proven effective for me in reducing. I never stand still, and make sure to give my eyes all possible motion I can give them in equal measure.
Even slight motion appears to help, so perhaps it can be viable on the limited aberration-free range you can exert from the higher diopers?

It’s not like I’m tilting my head to extremes, I’d say only halfway as much the eye can move.

1 Like

No. I move my eyes as close to bridge as I can in effort to gain the most accommodation possible. If efforts are really enormously strong, I get my field of vision darkening. It takes some time (3 seconds) to un-darken. As well, I have blue flashes in left eye (deeply to the lower edge of field of vision) when I move my eyes very fastly or use extreme convergence. As well as black flashes in right eye in the same area. Doctos keep to tell me my retina is OK except insignificant thinning in right eye in deep periphery.

Yes. But I remember I even was happy I need -10 glasses in 2019. Then I realized I will go blind if I will enjoy how my eyes deteriorate. After 6 months, I was already in panic I wanted to not love my eyes and instantly begun to seek how to reverse myopia. So I need to blame myself as well, as I hated myself prior to 16 years old :frowning:

As for phorias, I have them more if I stand compared to lying. Even with head back they decrease. So definitely a suspicion of muscle displacement. An appointment is 4 days far, will propagate that doctor to send me into OCT or MRI. Then, muscle union (reversible) surgery might be considered. Or non-reversible surgery if that’s really hard case, I think no. There is no known way for vision therapy to de-slip lateral rectus. Strange thing I gain 0.25 for left eye if I will exercise divergence to strain and tiredness.

I even don’t have phoria until I will move my eyes up, then wink them, then move them down while winked, then open them… and they look straight at nose producing close up strain even when closed. But I have “strabismus” if I look laterally - eyes there can look without double vision only 30 cm and closer.

I think no. But might be true because you claim to have 4 D of range and it’s fabulous for your age. So indeed, it could be not genetic but due to environment and training amount. In this way, I could have too few by not using it and you have much by training it.

Still trying to conduct with John Yee and ortho C. Every time I mention high myopia, every time he goes dumb and does not reply me. I might buy lenses not from he, but figuring out what drills in what sequence to do - I don’t know if that’s possible with free part of book.

Maybe it’s weekend, so waiting for working days, But no reply in Friday.

And my purpose of trying ortho C is to unlock active focus by neurological force altering eye biomechanics. Because there is no people on this forum without active focus but with stable improvement. So I blame EM without AF and with alternatives like AuF, FA, PF and other suffering nonsense.

It’s temporary solution until I will get more powerful VT or corrective surgery.
Even after surgery, VT might be needed to fully align eyes.

I use this only for close up as I wrote - at distances 1 m or more I use both eyes as normally.

Thanks for reply.

Yes, I try to alternate the eye open. Did you get AF or you just work at the edge of blur?

I suspect it is the cause of myopia progression too. You just might have this thing to a lesser extent. There was a study on emmetropes and they are more hyperopic in the morning, so the thing you say is maybe for moderate and high myopia.

You close one of eyes.

You just put a finger very close to you (you’d want to do this with glasses or you need to move a finger or text very close so that you can’t get it into focus, just trying).

Then put maximum effort to make it into focus. Try to reach focus for 3-5 seconds and if you release, you will see a darkening of your middle visual field in the pattern of “eye” or “horizontal oval”. It disappears next seconds.

Almost the same darkness as you press your eyes for long and they slowly regain vision. Just only off-center, you still see and image is darker overall, then instantly brighter when you release extreme convergence/accommodation.

Unfortunately I don’t know about the challenges of having eyes that don’t align, so I can only wish you good luck on that regard.
Myopia reversal works much better when both eyes work together, that’s one reason I stopped patching and instead started covering part of the lens on the dominant eye, so I could work both making sure the weaker one was not lagging back too much.

I do AF all day long with the amount of blur that has proven to be beneficial to me.

Why “very close you”? I tought you were talking about Active Focus on the blur horizon, maybe I’m misunderstanding the purpose of this part…
Looking very close is the exact thing I want to avoid, after all

AF shouldn’t be about “maximus effort”, but “relaxed effort”. The way you’re phrasing it seems very troubling to me.

It is the case where I get darkening of vision.
I also avoid looking very close. But I thought the test for 30 seconds won’t do harm for me.

It’s in the manner “it’s blurred by 0.25-0.5 and I clear it to 20/20”. Not by blink or squint. Right? it holds 1-3 sec but after you need to get it again and again. Correct? I assume yes, and all I described above is the thing I aim for already 15 months with zero success. That’s why I need to try contact lens draw like Ortho C. Maybe it could get a reduction of 2 D all people in this high range get and active focus, let alone the last.

And you get 1 D/yr improvement. True?

I wrote it that way you greatly misunderstood me. Please read this

So whether my retina is too weak and hardly maintains its attachment on strong convergence if you don’t get the same.
If you get the same, then it’s relatively “normal”.

In the manner that I feel the ciliary muscles working (the stinging/burning sensation), and yes I have to get it again and again.
The duration of clarity varies greatly it can swing from 1 to 10 seconds, depends how far I’m into the current reduction, how tired my eyes are, etc.

I don’t work toward perfect 20/20 vision with the differential glasses, I merely reach the point where I can focus up to 90cm consistently.
The reason for that is that I was seeing no further progress with the initial -1.5 differentials despite having worked them since november 2019, whereas I saw much faster gains when my zenni order came through: 23 days to -1.25, 23 days to -1.00, 51 days to -0.75.

No, I don’t get the same.
Stop doing dumb things, if you need to train convergence use one of those repeating-column papers and cross your eyes to see just one. At a safe distance.
If you retina is weak you definitely don’t want to make it weaker by contracting the lens further, this is definitely not safe for you who have high diopters!

1 Like