China, Russia, Other Places

Posted this over on Facebook also, trying to get opinions:

I get regular e-mails, sometimes from readers in China, sometimes in Russia (other countries as well but those two most often), commenting how it’s hard for them to get some of endmyopia’s contents.

I do passingly wonder whether I need to get local servers and offer translated versions of endmyopia, and localized search engine optimizing, and uploading videos to local appropriate platforms.

Most of that would be just money (just, heh). I don’t know though how useful it would be, what kind of unforseen hurdles there may be (sorry Jake, you need a Chinese passport to open an account with our hosting services, etc), and ultimately whether we can even support a localized version of endmyopia. At some point it boils down to language, and so far I haven’t been motivated to learn Chinese (Russian though, could be easily convinced). Just based on the e-mail volume and pretty specific questions, running everything through translators could turn into a bigger project than I could manage.

Thoughts? Any Chinese / Russian / otherwise darlings here with first hand experiences?

2 Likes

How about fixing this @ the user end? You can have them try to visit endmyopia through the Tor Browser:

https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

The site and content will be routed through several countries and nodes before they get it. It might work and it’s a very simple fix.

Otherwise you might ask a local to run a mirror of endmyopia on a webserver. That is still easier than you going there and making it all happen.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

1 Like

Most people aren’t remotely that technically inclined. Also many won’t even know about the resource if it’s not easily found.

I travel six months out of the year, so going anywhere isn’t a big deal. Mostly my curiosity is about feasibility and potential benefit. Figured we may have some locals that could provide end user perspective.

Hi Jake
I can support in translation and assuming a “bridge” role in answering questions, in case you would try a Turkish site.

1 Like

You are right, it’s just a workaround.

It is surprisingly easy still, you install the package, if you don’t uncheck anything it creates a desktop shortcut and it starts up right away. You have to click on “connect” (only the first time you launch it), you wait for it to load/connect and then you can visit EM. Could be a feasible workaround for the time being.

I found this, might be useful because they can do exactly what you need in China:

https://www.cdsglobalcloud.com/solutions/website-performance-mainland-china/

I’m from Russia and for me learning of the whole EM project take some time. I understand almost everything, but the most hard parts especially science - how eyes work, I learned with help of a google translator which translate the whole webpage.
Of course this could be easy if website appears whole Russian or Chinese, and some of the issues learned much easier (again like science, studies, etc).
And in Russia we have free access to your site, maybe it’ll change in future, who knows, or we gona have our own internet like China.

1 Like

I can’t evaluate whether these would fit at all, but if you want to get the community involved, there seem to be some spiffy tools out there:
https://amara.org/en/ for captioning videos, I can’t say anything about it
https://pootle.translatehouse.org/ for translating sites, I only have experience inputting translation, not setting it all up

In my opinion it will benefit readers in China hugely if the content on endmyopia is accessible to them. But translating all the blog posts to Chinese accurately is a major undertaking. But even if only the 7 day email guide is available in Chinese, it will be an incredibly valuable resource for them. There’s nothing like this on the chinese web.

You don’t need to run servers in China, it’s not likely that endmyopa.org is blocked in China. Videos will need to be uploaded to a local platform.

1 Like