Ciliary/Accommodative Spasm

I would really like to investigate this topic more fully. I have read so many comments about ciliary muscles being in spasm, or locked, for years on end that I would like to see a clear distinction between the ciliary spasm that causes pseudomyopia and which can be relaxed by refraining from excessive close vision, and what is called persistent ciliary or accommodative spasm, a rare condition.

I would like to start with this reference to the latter condition

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/328107323_Persistent_Accommodative_Spasm

If you think you suffer from this, you might find out, after treatment, if successful, that you are an emmetrope. :wink:

Temporary ciliary spasm is much more common, as this article on pseudomyopia (also known as accommodative spasm) makes fairly clear.

https://www.healio.com/ophthalmology/journals/jpos/1970-5-7-2/{7d64831e-3fc8-4050-9944-6f66dca694db}/pseudomyopia-etiology-mechanisms-and-therapy.

My suggestion is that most of us who have had myopia for many years, do not suffer from either of these conditions, although we might have started off with pseudomyopia. We may build up ciliary spasm on a daily basis with sustained close vision and no distance vision, but this is likely to relax to a reasonable extent during sleep. It is difficult to measure ciliary tonus during sleep, so the extent of this relaxation is not known.

2 Likes

Ohh interesting. I wasn’t aware that there was such a thing as persistent accommodative spasm. That might explain how some (very few) people can completely get over their myopia in a matter of days.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I very much relate to the first, in the sense that I have not only all the mentioned symptoms but also that they go away and come back almost arbitrarily. That might begin to explain why at times I can’t see my phone screen properly and at others I am perfectly capable of reading car plates at night. I have a sense a lot of people might actually have a mild case of this, and it is not the cause of sudden recovery but rather the reason why some reductions take longer. Absolutely no proof or anything, just my random musings.

I don’t have experience with ciliary spasm as we know it, in the sense of a predictable and measurable decrease in visual acuity after prolonged near work, I can’t say why. Maybe it’s because I am not used to getting so focused that I keep looking at the same thing for hours at a time.

1 Like

It can be found in hyperopes as well as myopes. Of course if there hadn’t been a measurement of emmetropia with ‘enforced’ ciliary relaxation under atropine there would be no evidence to prove that there was no physical myopia or hyperopia to start off with. There has to be a big difference between objective and subjective measurements in this condition.

@Salt I have no idea if this condition can switch on and off. You would have to have your vision measured under atropine to confirm this. It would have to be a difference of more than 1D (considered normal) It is also possible that your strange changes in accommodation could be due to problems with vergence or pupil size not adjusting fast enough. People often forget that accommodation involves three things - changes in ciliary muscles, the extraocular muscles which create convergence or divergence, and the pupils which change size according to distance.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228813706_The_near_triad_and_associated_visual_problems

1 Like

Well I was thinking of the abstract saying this:

AS can begin suddenly, may occur unilaterally or bilaterally and may be constant or intermittent.

Thanks for the tips :smile: I have no interest in a professional diagnosis as it won’t change what I am doing for myself both to manage my vision disturbances and to improve them. I am always trying to adjust what feels right to me.

2 Likes

You’re right - I hadn’t paid enough attention to this.

Very much my stance as well.

2 Likes

Strange but atropine does nothing to me, except dry mouth and increased anxiety.
The best gain from atropine is 0.25 D.
Well, only one day of it. Side effects outweighted possible improvement. Not so bad, but not worth it.

There was a story of child having -1.00 autorefractometer and +6.00 under atropine. Sadly but can’t find link, you just can believe me.

That is as it should be for distance vision. But I bet you had trouble with close vision until it wore off. :smile:

The ‘pathological’ persistent ciliary spasm is probably found more often in hyperopes than in myopes. I have no problem believing you. :laughing:

1 Like

To add, my PT said rotated C2 vertebrae will affect my eyes in future if I’ll not resolve that.
So I put fault on neck about my myopia progression.

If there was no strabismus and progressive astigmatism, I could not think it might be the cause.

I bought dental splint called Starecta to balance my teeth, neck and spine.
It should reverse scoliosis, too. I hope it could improve my eye muscles as well since their nerves end out in neck.

1 Like

I am happy to read of your persistence in tackling your scoliosis, and here’s hoping it helps with the eyes as well. :+1:

1 Like

My left eye could face ciliary spasm. A possible reason it turns more inward in closed (relaxed) state. So, automatic accommodation while closed/sleeping. So after using equal prescription my eye difference was 0.25 or 0.12, but after sleep left eye again sees worse.

An interesting finding is my eyes either look sideways (upper esophoria compensation by IO muscle) or at nose (lower exophoria compensation using medial rectus I call it) during fighting sleep / rapid wakeup. Then, maybe during sleep.

I should tackle it until it has not reached 10 degrees, where doctors in EU/US call it scoliosis.

Post-Soviet medicine calls it all scoliosis from 1 degree, so if I agree, in their calc-s there are 2/3 or 3/4 of world with scoliosis.

I call it 5 degrees and more. At my 8 degrees, it should be easy to go under 5.

An interesting conjecture. A ‘useful’ aspect of being a black swan (or black sheep) like the two of us is that we get to investigate different rabbit holes.

Go for it, both for the spine and the eyes. You have the big advantage of having the determination and the desire for knowledge to tackle both from a young age.

1 Like

Well, the root of this is seeing myself fully healthy despite the facts. The facts will align some way. It is not neccesary to know which way.

1 Like

An interesting case of persistent ciliary spasm and hyperopia
It looks like even 16 years after it happened, she hasn’t recovered fully from it.
1 Like

Yikes! How wrong can they get this?

I listened to part 3 - it turns out that she needs +4 to compensate for an actual +1 of hyperopia. This is a perfect example of persistent ciliary spasm. But to have confused this with myopia - it beggars belief!

2 Likes

The ideal would be

• Sideways spinal curvature of 0 degrees, you are like a Ferrari with ideal geometry
  • +0.75 and 0.00 CYL on autorefractometer, indicating you can clearly see blue LEDs on Christmas decorations in neighbour houses :slight_smile:
1 Like

Beware of utopias. :wink:

1 Like

Well, then I need to be a slave of utopias, frequently measuring and taking care too much.
Really, both illness and ideal health is a slavery.

Go in a “gold middle”.

1 Like