Collecting HOBBIES - Fight Screen Addiction

Random and mostly off topic.

Since realizing that smartphones kill boredom, and boredom is the beginning of all creativity and exploration, I’ve been on an endless quest for more hobbies.

Simple stuff like reading, which always has been around. Yes for sure it’s close-up, but it’s not mindless scrolling for hours, with usually almost zero learning or benefit gained.

Or more out-there stuff like paragliding, hangliding, kitesurfing, diving, flying ultralights, rowing, playing waterpolo, learning languages and living in places to try them out on people.

Even endmyopia, kind of a hobby. Learning lots about Web stuff and video stuff and tech stuff and social media and Google and whatnot, communities, and how these interactions change my own views.

And also less at-first-glance beneficial ones like mechanical watches, fountain pens, photography … the list goes on. Anything that adds some learning and discovery. Random stuff like pens, while hunting for some gifts for friends in Bangkok, met a fascinating pen store owner and had a great conversation. Meet new people, new ideas, all the seconds and minutes that aren’t spent scrolling through Instagram.

What about you? Any hobby collectors here? What other inspiration has some solid boredom lead you to?

:wink:

7 Likes

The only times in my life I have suffered from solid boredom was when I was a part of a captive audience, such as at school and university, and at a long meditation retreat. For the retreat it was a good experience, as I needed to have a good look at my intolerance of boredom.

Your proposed activities are great, and I would happily indulge in most of them if I were not too old or too poor to do them. I had some fairly wild adventures myself when I was young. I read a great deal, and the fact that some of my reading is now done on screen does not make me a screen addict. I would be more inclined to call my insatiable curiosity an addiction. :crazy_face:

I am not sure that boredom is the cause of most people’s screen addiction, as it is not the cause of most other forms of addiction.

I look forward to hobby suggestions from people who are not adrenaline addicted. :wink:

6 Likes

Both my wife and I loves coffee and travelling. So lately our hobby is to look for speciality coffee shops in a few hours of drive distance, drive there, drink a coffee, walk around a bit (and if there is something interesting there check it) then drive home. Most people don’t understand it, because for them it looks like we are driving 6 hours (and wasting gas) for a coffee, but ultimately the “main attraction” is not the coffee but the travelling itself. Our longest journey was 4 hours drive in one way (well practically it got 12 hours of driving that day, because of traffic jams and a huge storm on the way back), but usually it’s just 1-2 hours. Also we frequently visit Europe’s largest Buddhist stupa, which is only 1.5 hours drive from us. It’s a really beautiful and tranquil place :slight_smile: (well except if there are too much and too loud tourists, but usually we go in the morning). But essentially it also the same thing: drive there, walk around a bit (sometimes sit down to meditate a bit), drive home (and drink a coffee somewhere :smiley:)

Of course it means 8-16 hour continuous distance vision for that day :slight_smile:

7 Likes

There is another contender for that title. I have paid several visits to the stupa in Benalmadena.

1 Like

Yeah, in this case the stupa at Zalaszanto only was the largest :slight_smile: (it was built in 1992, while the one you linked in 2003)

2 Likes

A new hobby - collecting stupas. :grinning: In the years that I spent a month each winter in Benalmadena I used to walk to the stupa - and many other places, and avoided the overcrowded beach front walks.
Coffee on the Costa del Sol is good and cheap, but I am not a big coffee drinker.

I’m a maker. Still mostly near work. Examples in the unfinished projects piles: baby clothes, a woolen cloak, lace tablecloth, workbench, cargo sled.

Animal training, I’ve got a new puppy coming in 2 weeks. I was working on a pair of draft sheep, but I need to make more radical steps with them, and that’s not happening during lambing and puppy season. I made an attempt at oxen once, but got sick when they were 4 months old. I may try again someday, but with mini cattle, Brown Swiss were a bit much for the size of our pasture.

I’ve been neglecting my music. I’m still in choir but have not played instruments lately. I’m not good at instruments, but it is nice to be able to pick out a tune for vocal practice. I’ve got no sense of rhythm either, I always follow the head soprano.

I’ve also been neglecting camping. Our previous dog had behavior issues and we couldn’t go, need to prioritize exposing the new puppy to that. My current condition doesn’t allow hiking like I used to.

2 Likes

Well, by definition it will be near work if we are making things with our hands. This is all great for keeping us away from screens, but not all that useful for distance vision AF.
My range of ‘making’ has been very wide - from what is considered ‘feminine’ like all kinds of needlework, to ‘masculine’, like wiring, plumbing, carpentry, bricklaying, plastering, tiling etc., the latter all learned and done when renovating the ruined small house and barn that I bought in rural France over 30 years ago. None of it looks professional, but it all works. I was never that knackered that I couldn’t do my daily dose of reading at the end of the day.

In the needlework category, nothing has given me as much satisfaction as the little Tibetan dolls I knitted from recycled wool collected from friends, for each of the 80 odd children at the small Tibetan primary school in India where I did two months of volunteer English teaching each year, for 10 years before it closed down. It filled my winter evenings in front of my wood stove. I taught some of the older girls to make them as well.

9 Likes

Needlework is near work, but it’s not all the same. Many forms have a rhythm and a muscle memory to them so you don’t need to look down constantly, or you can shift your vision back and forth. I often watch TV while doing needlework, and no reason why I couldn’t do it out on the deck.

2 Likes

Agreed. Most of my knitting doesn’t require constant attention, but these little dolls needed a little more. I also knitted woollen hats for all the children, and these were knitted on close to automatic.
Initially I didn’t knit the dolls for the older boys, thinking they wouldn’t want one (cultural preconception :wink:). I was wrong, and I ended up knitting dolls for them as well, but they did want a boy doll. The same happened when I offered knitting materials for anyone wanting to learn to knit. A surprising number of boys wanted to do so, and it was interesting to see how inventive they were in what they knitted.

1 Like

Even in European culture, pre-industrial times knitting was a male profession. Men sheared, carded, combed, women spun, and men wove and knitted. Only after it became a leisure activity did all of those revert to woman’s work. The combs and cards we use today are much lighter than the high production tools used in the past, took upper body strength to swing one all day.

3 Likes

Fishing!

7 Likes

My childhood passion and hobby…birding and tree spotting. Bates teachers had killed my outdoor hobbies (by recommending to throw away the glasses…) but luckily I found EndMyopia and now I’m back to enjoying my hobbies with reduced lenses (normalised). Thank you!

6 Likes

I liken myself to @jakey Although I have not gone out for some crazy air sports yet I have always dreamed of doing some hang gliding. So far the only thing I tried was jumping off the Stratosphere in Las Vegas. And the thrill of falling was way more than I thought it would be. About 20 seconds of WTF did I do and then exhilaration.
I also love learning I try to learn about as much as my interest can hold. I had a period of great boredom at work and this is where i began to find interest in my world around me. YouTube became my new found tool for learning because I could listen and do my job. Of course at that time I was unaware that this would be a great way to keep my eyesight from worsening.
This has taken me into topics like how to heal the body, geology, religion, conspiracy, wealth preservation, places to explore, and the list goes on and on.
Soon I plan to build my own house and so long as I can it will be made out of hemp. Like @Ursa I too have remodeled my own house. I like to use recycled material like the wood pallet wall I made. I love taking something old and transforming it into something new.
My hobbies change from my inability to stay focused on just 1 interest. But there is so little time to learn so I put up with myself.
I have a bunch of near work projects I haven’t started yet like taking old junk and making steampunk creations. So who knows if I will get to that now.
Of course I am shifting my hobbies to do more outdoors stuff like planning camping trips with my son just to get out of the house and away from electronics.

7 Likes

I may have to add an endmyopia drawing to my camper.

2 Likes

I took hang gliding lessons. Ultimately the issue was portability for me, as well as the general level of effort to just be in the air. Unless you live in the mountains, you also need a ride up.

Switched to paragliding since that takes care of a lot of the issues of dragging things around. Way less safe though without a rigid airframe.

Now kitesurfing to get at least some of the thrill without a lot of the risks. Covered from head to toe in fabric (sun, my skin is not a fan) but any which way discovering ways to engage with the surroundings and learning is where it’s at!

4 Likes

Just thought I’d chime in here - slacklining is fun, I don’t do it as much as I should though. (For those who are scratching their heads, it’s kinda like tightrope walking on a piece of ratchet strap webbing that’s really bouncy.)

4 Likes

If only there was water in Arizona. Ha ha ha

2 Likes

One of the reasons why iPhones have become so ubiquitous is how so much good and bad is available in one tiny eyesight killing port-a-package! You can shop, hook-up, checkout, and improve your vocabulary. Unfortunately, I keenly feel that with almost with every other interest you inevitably need to have equipment, travel or spend money…

That is the rant.

I just had to say that because I LOVE to be on my screen, BUUTTT I resist it.

I love to draw, design, make metal jewelry, do yoga, spend time with my pets (canine and pescatorian), archery (when I can with my daughter), read, knitting and sewing original creations (less so these days), and cook vegan food.

So I live in this tiny apartment in New York City. Every day I drop off the kid, walk the dog, clean up the house, plan dinner and try to do something other than errands - but…every single activity like rearranging a Japanese Tatami Room. I have to displace everything on the table and pull out ALL the equipment I need to do a wax mold for a ring I’m making, OR patternmaking a new garment OR all the drawing tools to begin a watercolor - I love the activity, but afterwards, must then put it all away, and Darn is that new Photoshop for iPad program not compelling? It even has a believable watercolor tool now!!! So then, it’s a choice to just start watercoloring right on my iPad - no need to put anything away after. Teehee, but it’s still not the same as mindless scrolling. I try to vary my sitting position and distance throughout for that.

Screens are definitely here to stay, but there is so much other stuff to do, even close-up that is not on it. Of course, my favorite things to do will flower again too when the weather improves. I love the point-to-point rental bicycles in my city, and will do that again soon. All the joy of bicycle riding in an urban setting without the discomfiting risk of losing your bicycle to theft :). Can’t wait!

4 Likes

I honestly don’t remember being bored throughout my life ever. So many things to do or ponder about, wonderful people to talk to, learning games like chess, just walking thru a forest or reading books etc

2 Likes