Community tips for Le Meow

In this guide I’d like to get the best tips and tricks you’ve acquired over time summarized. This is useful for newbies wanting to get a jump-start or for some of us who could really use a new challenge to break through a bad plateau, or just if you want to speed things up. In short, what worked best for you? I’ll gather up the most powerful answers I get and alter this first message so people don’t have to scroll/read through them all to get these tips.

Keep in mind, we are not talking about the general teachings: good close-up habits, breaks, AF, enough outdoor time with distance vision, proper correction etc. here. Those fundamentals are not for this thread.

The two most important and useful tricks I employ:

• Clearing up as much license plates, street signs, direction signs as possible whilst driving in my car. Because the speed up’s the challenge it’s a really potent tool and stimulus. Pick something that gives you a blur/double vision challenge and try to clear it up. If it’s too hard, pick something closer or whilst going slower.
  • Watch TV with a blur/double vision challenge and active the subtitles. The subtitles change, so you have to get quicker at clearing it up. Do make sure you have enough lighting and the proper correction for this challenge.

Thanks to @JeffK:

• Have a Snellen eyechart across from ones bed to practice clearing up some lines whilst in bed. Good lighting through adjacent windows and perhaps a directional light in the evening/at night are useful for this practice.

@MattE came trough nicely:

• While reading to your kid (if applicable), alternate pages with your spouse and read on the edge of blur, having the audio input from your significant other supplement the clarity you’re trying to achieve. Low myopia or differentials preferred.
  • Take enough time between reductions, reducing faster will slow you down later on, patience is key, see his full post for more details.

And recently with this awesome video :video_camera::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxpftNsXki0

A worthy addition from @itamar:

• Watching TV whilst patching your dominant eye to give the non-dominant more stimulus. Very useful if equalising is necessary for you or if the non-dominant needs to catch up.
  • If you read many books, consider the switch to audiobooks. You can even do distance vision while listening.

Thanks to @Tii_Chen we can extent this topic even further:

• Make sure that you always have some differentials close-by (perhaps with an even lower correction/stronger plus lens) to look at your phone or for some reading. Some cheap + glasses over contacts may be useful. Make sure that you are challenging your eyes up close and far away. Having your differentials with you allows you to do that.
  • Grab a co-worker and take a break together outside to do some active focus. Having something to share this experience with helps keep you motivated and will make it easier to maintain those good habits.
  • Get an e-reader if you like to read and a book stand. This will allow you to read at the end of your dioptre bubble and provide you with a nice challenge up close. See @Tii_Chen post on it here.

@happydeb had a great suggestion for indoor screen viewing, use a projector instead of a normal television and challenge your vision with that: Community tips for Le Meow

@Hanna_Wilbur made a very nice (thank you!) alternative Snellen chart in reverse to give your eyes a nice and different stimulus: Community tips for Le Meow

What worked best for you? Please share and I’ll edit this post to get everything in one place. Thanks

19 Likes

This is one of my many eccentricities that amuses my wife (I think :grinning:). I have a small snellen chart on the wall across from our bed. The bed has an elevated head which I really believe is helpful for many things. There are big windows in the room which provide day lighting and a directable light for night. I will spend some time with the chart before sleeping or while relaxing during the day. I am able to do active focus or stare at it and let the different rows of images clear up. I can always just close my eyes at any time. It has become an easy habit and I can rack up several minutes of stimulus in a very “laid back” way.

6 Likes

Simple tip, then something a little more general. When we are doing bedtime stories with my daughter (age 5), my wife and I trade off pages. When she reads, I get the text far enough away that it’s difficult to make out on my own, but I can make sense of when she is reading. The auditory input gives my brain enough data to clear up the text.

More general: once you have the fundamentals sorted out, the hardest part of the EM method is the waiting. Reducing faster doesn’t cause faster progress. A little psycholigical trick I have used is to give myself a 100 day countdown, after moving down to a new normalized. I mark one day each morning and remind myself that even if it feels like I’m not doing anything and I want progress to go faster, committing to the habits for one more day is doing something. It’s doing all I can do for that day.

Additionally, it’s helped me greatly to write up improvement reports about every three months. Doing this has caused me to really think through the experiences and capture the more subjective aspects of this journey. Also, the three month interval is a good amount of time to check back in on fundamentals, just as an athlete or musician, who is committed to long term improvements, would do.

Third, while many of us have found it difficult to find anyone interested in this stuff in “real life,” if you can, teach it to someone else and you’ll be amazed at how much you learn.

11 Likes

To your first point, I could imagine how reading at your point of blur while listening to it by say an audiobook might help give some good stimulus if you weren’t able to get outside too much

2 Likes

Patching while watching tv with subtitles.

To me it feels like patching is beneficial for both eyes, but try it for yourself and experiment. (Everyone has a weaker eye, so at least try it on the weaker eye)
I think it mainly trains the brain to better process the information, similar to using a single hand to perform a double handed task, it is challenging.

Another tip/reminder is to wait for the weaker eye to improve before lowering diopters. I find that my stronger eye improves about twice as fast as the weaker eye.

7 Likes

If your’re doing this with contact lenses and are not yet in low myopia territory:

• Get a pair of those cheap plus lenses, wich may be a little stronger than your differentials (ie., +1,75 instead of your +1,5 differenteials at work) and carry them with you AT ALL TIMES!

In a hurry? Never mind, just stuff them in some small (jeans) pocket, they are cheap and may scratch/brake! That way, they are always handy, and you can easily grab them when checking your phone quickly anywhere. As you just won’t hold that at 50cm, it’s fine to have them slightly stronger. Also great when on a journey - you just check that map more often than you planned to do :wink:

• Attack some favoured (myopic) colleague or grab the one you go for lunch walks with anyways and get them into active focus license plate reading!

Make the best out of your lunch brakes! If there’s someone participating, you’ll be reminded to active focus :wink: Some days they’ll see quicker, but other days, you’ll be on top - shows how vision changes!

5 Likes

Also, similiar to Jeff’s idea:

• Put a snellen across your favourite reading place!

Where do find yourself most often with that book/mobile/laptop, reading longer than planned? For me, that’s in the kitchen - love those lazy Saturday monrings, my coffee, a book… Bad, if the phone is in reach :smiley:

• Put an extra set of differentials (for contact wearers: plus glasses) at your favourite reading place!

If there’s an extra pair sitting there, it will always be handy. Easy and effective!

• Make some distance vision opportunity at your favourite reading place! (Lower your drapes!)

For me, that was easy: Reading those Bates-ish books before finding EM, I noticed how much I’d locked myself in. Living in a city, 2nd floor, I’m just not too keen to have all windows open, so I have drapes. They used to cover the whole window. Now, I moved them down half-way: This way, noone can really look insinde, but I can sit/lay on the couch and watch the clouds! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If you are just starting, I suggest to take notes of your surroundings: What do you see without glasses when sitting in your kitchen, or your favourite place? Is there something you wish you could see/think you should see? Reading hese notes in a year will feel so good!

3 Likes

I watch TV with the captions on with a gigantic projector screen rather than a TV monitor. So I’m watching in the dark at about 20 feet away. The screen is about 8 x 6 feet and the captions are large and high contrast. I find it helps relax ciliary spasm because I’m motivated by the entertainment value of TV to be able to read it. So I don’t give up using active focus, I just keep it up and I have noticed that the improvement occurs by the end of the program and lasts to the next day, where I then revert by too much close up!

5 Likes

I patch while watching the TV with subtitles too. Just like others were saying about reading the auditory input helps me resolve the text. Also, although I don’t patch. I close one eye, or “patch” for brief periods. I find that its much easier to AF with one eye than two at the same time. I do the same “patching” for the Snellen chart. Without correction and patient AF with one eye I can clearly read the 20/40 line. Then I try with both eyes telling myself that I know I can read it because I did it with one eye at a time therefore I my eyes can do it together and then it clears up.

4 Likes

Reading this beautiful topic here, I think it’s a great idea to track your outdoor and distance vision time, maybe even your screen times.
Just to get better understanding for what makes a difference for you personally

4 Likes

This is a good thread. Why didn’t I find this earlier?? :grin:
A tip from a study posted in another thread: cut up the Snellen Chart and reverse it to make the smallest letters on top and the more you go down the bigger the letters get. When you try to look at a smaller writing it will be easier to look at the bigger letters below it. It’s also a confidence booster when you can/try to clear up smaller letters then go down seeing bigger letters make you confident that those letters are going to be easier.

PS: This is my reversed chart :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Thanku for sharing this important information about AF