Comparison: myopia vs spinal asymmetry and scoliosis

For example, spinal asymmetry starts from muscles on one (let’s assume right) side being tighter than other (assuming it’s left).

Then, right side muscles push the spine out of alignment, causing it to curve to the right.

Next: bones, discs, soft tissue around vertebral column suffers to take such wrong position all time due to tight muscle on the right side. So, bones start to deform: vertebraes instead of rectangle shape gradually take trapezoid one to stay easy in this position. But, it’s a vicious cycle: the tight muscles becoming even tighter!

All starts again and again: tighter muscle -> further deformation -> even tighter muscle -> even more deformation.

Sherrington law applies to all muscles in the body: if right say erector spinae gets tigther by 5 imaginary units to tilt torso to the right, left should relax by the same 5 i. u. But, if both are tight, they extend (straighten) the spine. So, I came to conclusion that isotonic contraction of oblique muscles with simultaneous isometric contraction of rectus muscles does not go against Sherrington law.

I propose the same is with eye. As each muscle works in a muscle chain, the contraction of ciliary muscle also should go further to some muscle. I hypothesize these are oblique muscles. They should contract when ciliary muscle contracts.

If they are tight for long, the eye modifies itself to take the strain easy: as oblique muscles simultaneous action (when rectus muscles hold the eye so it can’t tract forward or backward) means elongation of the eye, eye remodels to become longer. If the eye is longer, oblique muscles should be tight all time, since there is constant strain on them.

So, vicious cycle begins: ciliary close up strain -> oblique muscles tight -> eye elongation -> even more tight oblique muscles -> even more eye elongation -> ciliary close up strain -> …

Muscles can hold things they are attached to very precisely: how they would hold the spine in 15 degrees curve (well, 3 degrees more or less during the day)? Imagine how precise they should be.

Some studies suggest 98% of population have rotatory slippage of atlas (C1) vertebrae from birth time. The cause is birth trauma (when they take out the child from mother’s body). Imagine how very small (1x1-2 cm I guess if not less) muscles hold it in such position for all our life.

EOM exercises are as unhelpful to balance them thus reverse myopia as symmetrical exercise alone in scoliosis (spinal sideways asymmetry more than 10 degrees) - tight muscles work twice, because brain prefers to work using muscles that are already too tight. So it leaves condition as is in better case, making it worse in worst case.

Yee’s opinion is -1.50 (up to -3.00 in children) myopic eye muscles are not compromised. So, perhaps he means that eye shape is not compromised. Likewise, sideways spinal asymmetry less than 10 (up to 25 degrees in children) could have its cause only in muscles, so can be corrected in a relatively short term.

In adults, scoliosis due to deformed trapezoid vertebraes could have an improvement rate of 0.3-3 degrees (1-2 degrees average) per year. As Jake suggests, axial myopia has an improvement rate of 0.75-1.25 D/year (Todd Becker says it’s 0.50-2.00 D/year).

Both have a common cause, connective tissue dysplasia. People having scoliosis often could have myopia (some have both, some have mild scoliosis of 10-20 degrees or spinal asymmetry <10 degrees - I have spinal asymmetry myself - and severe myopia, other have severe scoliosis and mild myopia). The same can cause strabismus, astigmatism, retinal detachment, hypermobility syndrome (my fingers on hand have it to some extent), ADHD syndrome and so on.

@Ursa @Dlskidmore