Contact lenses worse vision than glasses

I experience a worse eyesight while wearing contanct lenses than using normalized (-1,75).
It seems that my eyes can’t get the same acuity I have while wearing glasses.
AF is less good with contact lenses too, probably due to less acuity as starting point for AF.
I don’t have dry eyes.
In winter time I spend 95% of time with glasses and 5% with contacts.
Any idea about the reason?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I saw your progress post, Do you still need correction for that -0.25 CYL? If your glasses have correction for even that low of astigmatism, I wonder if dropping that in contacts is giving you difficulties.

1 Like

Thanks Nova for taking time to know my situation.
No I don’t have cyl correction in my normalized.
Thus glasses and contact lenses are the same -1,75 diopter correction.
I dropped that 0,25 cyl in my left eye since september with my first norm (-2,00)
I tried two different quality of contacts but this issue of less good vision compared to glasses still remains.

I dont have any direct experience with trying active focus with contacts. I just wonder if the glasses give your brain something to remember that the clarity should change vs. The contacts. Maybe not very scientific explanation but I know that when I was fed up with my contacts because I couldn’t see properly and I started the EM I had very little trouble getting clarity with the first lower pair. This I attribute to the ability to take my glasses off and clear things up with my own eyes. At that time I had only read Bates method. Then when I started Jake’s method I took my glasses off for any close up things.
If you wear glasses do you take them off for close up or even any time. I dont have a lot of close up activity at work but I always remind myself to not look at my phone for message with my glasses on. If I do even for a little bit my distance vision will suffer for it almost immediately. Just what I think of in my own case if it helps you figure out… but the best thing is those glasses are not going to be a permanent problem and they will help motivate you to bot need them Right

1 Like

Someone just commented in the facebook group that she also experiences contacts being weaker compared to her glasses as a lower myope. I know that for higher myopes, the glasses are much weaker than the contact lenses and it becomes equal around low 4 and high 3, but I am now wondering if the opposite is true for below 3. I wonder if going up a quarter diopter would help? Similar to how high myopes who’ve worn contacts all their life have to go up quite a lot in diopter to have the same visual acuity.

1 Like

That could have to do with the base curve of the contacts. I had been using contacts with a BC of 8,8 for many years until they started to bother me. The opto then gave me contacts of the same brand but with a BC of 8,4. So the problem was resolved but the acuity was not the same. 8,8 is flatter and therefore sits flatter on my cornea whereas the 8,4 is steeper and leaves more space for the tear film to act as a slight plus lens - that‘s what the opto told me.
So in your case it could be that the contacts don‘t sit properly, can be both cases either too steep or too flat-then they would move more and slip out more easily of their centered position.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for this info. I’ve never thought this cold be the reason. I’m going to check this with my opto!

1 Like