Differential: how far do you see / difference to normalized

Currently I’m using -1.0 differential and -2.5 normalized. So my difference is -1.5 diopter and it allows me to use screens at about 40-45 cm.
I choose this difference because in the past my naked eye was not enough to read books or use phone. And I did a lot of the latter, so wanted a differential which allowed me to use it at the edge of blur. But things changed and nowadays I use my phone a lot less, and even if I use I can use it fine without any glasses. I thought that “naked eye for screen” is really close, but realize that’s a bit away with currently about 33 cm edge of blur. So I was thinking about maybe switching back to stronger differentials and pushing back my screen farther.

So I got curious what setup people use? I’m interested in:

• what’s your current differential
  • what’s your usual screen (close-up) distance
  • what’s your normalized or how big the difference between your normalized and differential

If you already don’t need differential than you can contribute with giving the data about the last time you used differentials :slight_smile:

I think you mean differentials here.

I can’t participate because I never used differentials for screen work. I was able to tolerate enough blur not to need them even with my starting -3 in the right eye.

1 Like

Thanks, edited! And I have to write more for 20 chars :slight_smile:

2.75 norm 1.5 diff edge of blur around 33 cm, distance from the screen ~70 cm, but I don’t use my PC a lot so I don’t bother keeping a fixed distance

1 Like

norms -4.75 and diffs -3.50 with 1.25 difference. Distance to screen is 45-50 cm. I had -3.75 but for some reason, maybe because of larger frame size i had to back up wayy past my arms reach (67 cm) from my screen to get an edge of blur.
My brother is at - 2.50/ 2.75 and he cant see the screen with the naked eye at an ergonomically comfortable distance, lots of hunched over and head forward with a large monitor.

1 Like

damn I just realised i don’t have THAT much difference between my differentials and normalised.
-5 -2.5 / -5.25 -2.25 norms
-4.5 -2 / -4.75 -2 diffs
but the lower cyl makes a difference too and I could probably reduce the diffs (can comfortably see at around 70-75cm from the screen) while the norms provide a decent amount of blur (except in good sunlight where I can see 20/30 to 20/25)

I gotta say though I have quite a large vertex distance like 17-18mm so in contacts my FULL prescription (full clarity) is -5.5 -1.75

1 Like

I just recently reduced norms to -1.75/-1.5 -0.25.
I can go without glasses for close distances up to 50-60cm.
I have a pair of -1s I use sometimes for distance of around 100-120cm from my tv monitor.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Well I use a variety of glasses.

Technically, my norms right now are -2.75, though I’ll use -2.5’s indoors. Main driving glasses are -3.0. Diffs are currently -1.75 at 70-75cm computer screen distance. And I use -4.0’s for astronomy (fully dilated pupils, yields pinprick bright stars).

1 Like

Differentials: -1.75
Screen distance: ~50-55cm
Normalized: -3.00

1 Like