Differentials causing higher demand on convergence

Anyone noticed that wearing differentials causes you need to converge more (and in turn stimulates more acommodation) compared to working without glasses at near?

For people with suspected convergence insufficiency like me (self diagnosed), it seems to cause a tired feeling in the eyes after a while during close work. It’s less without glasses due to less convergence. Anyone else noticed this?

Other than not working very close to your face, any good ways to relieve it?

I guess I’m just going to have to find the best compromise between lens power and working distance. This may be trickier because closeup is never straightforward like distance.

Are you sure you can’t just learn how to converge properly? I’m typing this with a huge convergence insufficiency; my right eye is almost out of the input box. :crazy_face:

Now I snapped them back into sync. That makes typing a lot easier.

It’s a conscious motor control function – so it should be trainable, similar to other coordination skills. I can blur the text by over-accommodating too, or make everything shake by doing a short-distance REM movement. (The shaking one also enables accommodation though. Oh well, maybe I’m abusing the actual REM function, and that’s just what it does.) If you want to learn something like that, remember that you need spaced repetition, with sleep in between sessions. Maybe you have to sleep to make proper changes, so you can’t just try whether it works within a day or such.

From what I can see in my half-assed attempts right now, de-coupling accommodation and convergence works just fine, in both directions. I can desync the eyes, but keep accommodation relaxed, or blur the monitor, but keep the eyes reasonably on target. There is a slight impulse to change convergence, but it feels like a habit I could change, not like a hard-coded function.

I would be really careful with that sort of thing…you don’t wat to become one of the “disorganized” cases (type C, I believe) in the Skeffington Model. Apparently that type is so decoupled that vision therapy can’t help, because they have no link between accommodation and vergence.

Blur adaptation is not even a problem on the same level as that, imho.

I would much rather work with what I have, than try to change the equilibrium point of my vergence/accommodation synkinesis, and screw it up totally.

There’s also a buffer against overconvergence, which is actually protective.

Maybe someday I’ll go to a behavioral optometrist who specializes in this type of thing for help, but I’m not going to mess with it until I learn the right approach to therapy. That’s where I draw the line with DIY vision stuff.

Right now, intermittent under convergence at near, or fatigue when sustaining convergence at near, when I’m tired, is a fact of life. I do think proper glasses should help retrain the system partially over time, though… without extra effort. That’s the route I’m going to go for now.

I’m not terribly afraid of my motor controls unlearning something useful with no suitable alternative. That would be like unlearning how to walk. I’d assume that these “disorganized” cases never had the proper control, and that’s the actual issue. Lots of people mess with convergence by using autostereograms… doesn’t seem to cause problems.

Well, I’m not the right one to go deeper into these things, as I don’t think I have a problem of this kind. My blur adaptation issues have more to do with not minding undercorrection and “forgetting” to seek a clear image in the distance. It’s not like I’m unable to try for distance focus. Just wanted to chime in with a reminder that you can make all kinds of adjustments when it comes to motor control.

1 Like

I’m dealing with a similar challenge so I ended up doing a combination of differentials and not wearing them. I’m still trying to optimize other things like how to work with my eyelid anatomy. One thing I noticed is when I don’t wear correction I like to take breaks by moving my eyes to the corner to look at something farther in the periphery without moving the rest of my body. It’s automatic and fluid. I can’t really do that so gracefully with lenses.

That’s pretty much what I do, too.