Do I need astigmatism correction or not?

So I’m trying to begin my journey with eye sight improvement, but I’m struggling with headaches since finally get the glasses I ordered off EyeBuyDirect.

To preface this, I am normally a full time contacts wearer, and only use glasses at night to see if I need to in the middle of the night. My contacts prescription is for both eyes -6.50 BC 8.6 DIA 14.2. The glasses prescribed to me on the same day is OD -6.50 CYL -1.00 axis x167 and OS -7.00 CYL 0.50 axis x175.

When ordering new glasses for the eye improvement I felt it didn’t make sense to have each eye different on my glasses considering my eyes are used to my contacts having the same prescription in both eyes, so the prescription I chose was distance glasses -7.00 CYL -0.50 axis x175 for both eyes. I chose for close up glasses -5.75 CYL -0.50 axis x175 for both eyes. I’m a little frustrated because I feel like the blur horizon is just right for both, but I’m getting headaches.

I was told by my optometrist that I don’t have an astigmatism anymore apparently I did in middle school). Could it be possible that the astigmatism adjustment in the glasses is giving me the headaches. I never have seen double vision, only blur. Should I just stick to glasses with only SPH adjustments since my contacts don’t deal with astigmatism adjustment. I rarely have headaches with my contacts.

No diopter specific advice, but I think you answered your own questions. If the Dr says you don’t have any, and your contacts don’t correct for it (usually contacts will correct for a little bit), then you might try a pair without.

Not recommended to change the axis, BTW.

Good luck. Cylinder can be a bugaboo.

Kent

I’m still a little confused about the axis. Is the axis describe where on the glasses the CYL is located on the lense?

I had 2 D of sdtigmatism in my left eye when I started, and have bought a lot of reduced glasses, with combined .25 reductions in sphere and cylinder for this eye. I needed to buy so far in advance as my right eye ‘outran’ the reductions for them before these even arrived. So now I have all these left lenses which are probably useless, as my left eye astigmatism has either reduced significantly, and has definitely changed axis, or both. I can now no longer see as well with my left eye with the baseline pair of glasses, or reductions A, B and C, which worked fine when I first got them. I now wish I had all these left lens reductions without cylinder correction. My right eye, which had 1D of cylinder at the start, has adapted very well to no cylinder correction. Crazy right eye - I am now on reduction J for it after 5 and half months. :crazy_face:
I need to add that I only wear glasses for driving. I have been blur tolerant for many years, and I have just proved to myself that it is not reduced lenses that reverse myopia, it is active focus, and perhaps some other mechanism not all that clear yet. My right eye did this all on its own, without benefit of the reduced lenses which arrived after the eye had already made the progress to the next quarter diopter, and which I only used for the little driving I do. What I did do was increase my distance to screen in small steps, and curb my habit of leaning in to the screen. I still catch myself at this sometimes, even when it is abundantly clear that I don’t need to do so. Active focus initially needed some attention and effort, but now happens automatically, if not consistently.
Next problem to solve - what on earth is going on with my left eye? :mag:

It describes an angle of refractive error. Basically because of the shape of the astigmatic eye, it will tend to pull the light into a line rather than a point, so a cylinder axis lens perpendicular to your natural axis tends to spread out those lines so the points can be seen more clearly.

I don’t know, but I’ve been thinking about this. I’m concerned about my non-dominant eye too. Stepping up the patching and active work on closeup and medium distance active focus.

Probably wouldn’t hurt you to try it for 30 days. I notice that suppression comes & goes without warning. I’ll bet that other eye isn’t getting the same workout as your right eye, and it’s probably going to get more pathological.

Just my thoughts.

Kent

Tkanks for the suggestion, Kent. I am keeping an eye on any sign of deterioration in the left eye. I find patching awful, but if there is no progress in the left eye soon, I will start doing some.

1 Like

I dislike patching less than needing corrective lenses :heavy_heart_exclamation:

I see your point, but as I never wear corrective lenses this doesn’t quite work for me this way. But I have decided to do a a little patching after I have made my daily measurement of distance to blur on screen with a differential lens. I tried a little earlier, but could only tolerate 5 mins. I will do this for a month and see if there is a faster increase to distance to blur on screen than in the past month. If not, the measuring will continue but the patch will be dropped.

1 Like

Since the intermediate goal for me is basically equalizing (even with this latest round of bilateral drops, I’ve got +0.12 more in the right eye), patching is a must, but it’s not all the time. Just a few minutes at a time a couple of times per day.

Good luck! This unequal/pathological left/right refractive state is…pathological. Diabolical.

Yes, in my case it is sinister as well. :angry:

1 Like

Mine seems to be less than dexterous. :crazy_face:

1 Like

And probably not very adroit either. How can I be getting so silly while listening to J.S. Bach cello suites?

1 Like

Bach is my favorite. Partitas and Sonatas.

High on Bach. Oh yes!!!