Does anyone feel a connection between eye strain and teeth clenching/grinding (bruxism)?

What does this feel like for you? What do you do when this happens? Do you have any sense how the two things may be related? Have you noticed if anything makes your bruxism better or worse? Has your EM journey helped your bruxism at all? Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I’m just waking up from another night of teeth clenching and I thought I’d share. I’ve noticed that eye strain definitely makes clenching worse for me (though it’s not the only cause). I did a bunch of reading in bad light and unnecessary phone close up over the last week. I’ve been feeling the typical strain in my eyes, some dryness and eye fatigue, etc. It feels like the tension in the eye muscles transfers to the chewing muscles in the head and face, all of which fell tender. I’ve had this clenching issue for more than a decade, and it’s gone side by side with my bad eye habits. I’ve already had a wisdom tooth break, which I think is likely connected to the bruxism.

I have a feeling that the eye muscles might be really key for the nervous system because they are so directly connected to the brain. When I get eye tension, I often feel the tension transfer to other parts of my body as well, like the abdomen. And when I work on releasing tension in my eyes, I feel other parts of my body relax.

I’m pretty sure there are other causes for bruxism besides eye strain. I notice that stress and anxiety make it worse. Nerve damage (neuropathy) can also cause bruxism. There’s some info out there that TMJ issues can actually cause eye problems.

I think working on eye health has helped reduce my bruxism. I often get a strong ciliary spasm release in my eyes from long distance vision. Then the muscles in the head, neck and face also feel less tense. I think being over-prescribed must add to the eye tension load, since it doesn’t let the ciliary release fully. I know from experience that being under-prescribed can also create a lot of eye tension, which in my experience then transfers into bruxism.

A quick note: BEWARE OF NIGHT GUARDS. I was given a night guard by my dentist and wore it for close to 10 years. I’m sure it helped protect the surfaces of my teeth and so all bruxers should probably wear one. But the NG caused me long-term bite problems because it didn’t cover the full arch of my teeth. The uncovered teeth ended up over-erupting and screwing up my bite. I’m now looking at orthodontics to fix it at close to $10,000. So if you wear a night guard make sure it covers the full arch. See this paper https://tombereznicki.co.uk/sites/default/files/pdfs/BDJ-TomBereznicki-Occlusion-Following-Night-Guards.pdf

I regret that I didn’t look into the causes of bruxism until recently. Most dentists will just stick an appliance in your mouth without investigating the problem. Come to think of it, the dental industry is a lot like the optometry industry.

1 Like

I will share a link to my video testimony about Starecta method. By decompression, it helps visual problems and neurological issues as well. Interesting if you can benefit from the info or method/product.

Yes, strabismus I’ve had has started to resolve by using it. Also it should eliminate ciliary spasm if there’s any, since nothing will oppose to that.

1 Like

Yes, whether Alex’s intuition is correct when he says:

Some authorities think that the temporomandibular joint (the hinge of the jaw) is that determinative. I am an extreme patient of the TMJ syndrome and have had it diagnosed as the cause of many other difficulties.

1 Like

Here are your 21 questions friends; It ain’t exhaustive but it’s got a lot of the core points:

This isn’t medical advice but TMJ/Bruxism first response should be, what is your posture like? How is your head posture in particular? Are you forward neck and therefore your head is pitched upwards to compensate? Are your back neck muscles too tight, stretch them? How do you chew? Are you chewing with an up swing (as it should) rather than the upper and lower teeth meeting by usage of the temporalis msucle? Do your teeth meet when you are in a relaxed position (as it should very gently) or in your relaxed position do only your back teeth/molars meet (further worsening clenching/grinding)? Do you mew? Do you mew properly? Do you mew properly with good posture? Are you a mouthbreather? Are you familiar with the way the jaw hinge hinges, have you seen visualizations of the hinge knocking in and therefore familiar with how your jaw interacts? Are you anxious? Do you worry about the future, or worry about how your past may affect the future a lot? Are you perhaps not anxious but have unprocessed anxiety and therefore working through your anxiety while asleep? Do you have a physiological anxiety (as in it’s only in the body but not mental/emotional anxiety) then work on some breathwork/meditation? Do you have dietary anxiety, that is consume anxiety-provoking foods such as caffeine and sugar? Do you consume anxiety-calming foods such as warm brothy soups (or basically anything that is easier to digest and is cooked/warm which has a cooling effect on the body as opposed to something like salad which has a thermogenic effect)? Do you sleep on stomach (which ideally you shouldn’t)?

Secondary response should be things like How is your gait (because your feet is the base of your posture)? Do you take cold/cool showers at night (don’t do that if prone to anxiety)? Do you eat many meals a day, throughout the day (thus creating a type of routine anxiety where you are on a schedule routinely expecting/hunting for food)? Do you do some activity (or lack of activity) that causes tightness somewhere in your body, stretch those parts and/or strengthen its muscle pair? Or weakness somewhere in your body, strengthen those parts and/or stretch its muscle pair? .How’s your lip seal (a proper lip seal will engage the Orbicularis oris muscles [doesn’t have to be tense, just want it to be not disengaged/not activated], which will also help you have a better upswing so that the back of your teeth aren’t grinding/clenching.) One way to tell if you have a good lip seal is if it’s easy for you to tell where the bottom of your bottom lip starts?

BTW, I am of the opinion that bruxism can cause eye strain, while on the other end eye strain doesn’t affect bruxism. But if you say working on your eye health improved your bruxism I would believe it.

1 Like