Does anyone had succes with this?

All right, so I’m new to this community and I had my first glasses last year when I was 21. The thing is that I only see people here that has myopia and then astigmatism but lens induced. So I have 0.75CYL in both eyes but 0 SPH. I can’t find anyone with a similar case do you know someone in this grup? Or do you know if this is a case of genetic and not lens induced astigmatism so it can’t go away.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum. You are right that there are very few people here with only cylinder correction. It would be useful for us to know whether your cylinder has a + or a - notation, as this makes a difference. If it is +, you are slightly hyperopic on one axis of the eyes. If it is - it means that you are slightly myopic on one axis of the eyes.

You could have had mild astigmatism for a long time, which has now increased perhaps with more close work. As you have not worn glasses before, it is unlikely to be lens induced, but it could be vision habit induced. In either case it can be reduced by slowly ‘removing’ the crutches that glasses provide for your eyes and improving your vision habits. But how you go about it depends on whether the cylinder is + or -.

Thanks for answering I’m a little bit lost for now. So I have exactly on my right eye -0.5 CYL 165° and left eye -0,75 170°. The past year I had a lot of work and literally since the moment that I woke up was looking close on the computer without any break at all. That could be the reason of my deterioration

So you are slightly myopic on one axis of both eyes, and it is just about the same axis. This might indicate something about your vision habits. It could result from have a stronger source of light from one side than the other with much close work. It could also be caused by a habitual tilt of the head when looking at the screen.

Whatever the cause, it is good that you are paying attention to it at an early stage. The important thing is to check on either of the possibilities described above, and to counter them. For the rest, it is straightforward EM advice. Reduce the cylinder correction in small steps, 0.25D at a time, and wait until your vision has improved to the point where the next reduction is in order. Take lots of breaks from close vision, even if short, and try to spend time outdoors with good light and lots of opportunities for distance vision. If you can do your close vision work without glasses, do so. You don’t want to get used to cylinder correction at a distance where it is not usually needed. If you need that cylinder correction to drive safely, do so, but not at other times.

Good luck, and I hope that any others on the forum with your situation come forward and share their experiences.

1 Like

You are right I have a window up in the ceiling, so my main source of light comes from above, I don’t know if this could be the reason for my astigmatism and also I for sure tilt my head when reading but that can be worked.
Thanks for your help and I’ll try to work on that

1 Like

You’re welcome, and I hope you figure something out. I developed my fairly high astigmatism with the bad habit of reading in bed with one eye closed by the pillow - many, many years of this.

1 Like

I feel like this might be at least part of the reason as I noticed I have a head tilt doing some activities, something I correct as soon as I notice, maybe analyze your habits and see if you have a preference for up-down head movement but left-right eye movement, my axes are perpendicular to yours and I found I mostly turn my head left and right rather than my eyes.

1 Like

I notice that reading and working on my computer it’s like I stuck my head in a position and let my eyes do the work, so I do the horitzontal movement with my eyes and littlte up-down head movement. I’m trying to work on centralitzation.

That’s pretty interesting, that does match up with your axes based on the functional theory of astigmatism, worth saying that the other day I looked up astigmatism on Wikipedia and came across slightly contradictory notes.njkm
I’m cherry picking to some extent but you can go and read the whole page if you’re interested, I can’t understand most of it because I lack the knowledge.

Without overcomplicating it there seems to be a strong connection between uneven eye scanning habits and the development of astigmatism, whereas if you move your eyes in all directions more or less equally it probably won’t happen, but the consistent stimulus provided signals the eyes to become astigmatic I suppose, though one thing I don’t understand is what benefit does it end up having? astigmatism causes refractive errors to be at least slightly present at any distance, at least for me I can still see it in close up, just a lot less apparent.

Yes uneven eye scanning habits seems to develop astigmatism. Maybe working on looking things with your eyes and head alined reverses astigmatism overtime. I also find that you talked about the Tibetan eye chart in older posts, did you find some improvement by doing it? I have read in other pages that could reduce astigmatism but don’t know if I should do it because it causes me a little bit of pain in some directions so I don’t know if it could be harmful

And for the genetic factor that you say I don’t know, I started developing astigmatism at the age of 20 so maybe it’s not genetic, if it was really genetic maybe I shoud have developed it when I was born or when I was a child not now. I think at least in my case is more related to an habit of looking with your eyes and not your head for specific directions during a long period of time

I didn’t stick to it, I didn’t expect it to be a miracle so odds are maybe it’ll work if given enough time but it didn’t feel like it would to me, since I’ll be moving my eyes in all directions which would still help the directions that I overuse out of habit as well but I don’t know.

Yeah I experienced it too, I think it’s normal because you’re challenging your eyes to look as far as they can in all directions but one thing it did make me realize is that with the left and right ones I had a tendency to slightly shift my head too while that didn’t happen with up-down, if that explains anything about the directions we use more habitually then in your case maybe you tilt your head up and down a bit with the up-down movements, in any case I didn’t continue with it, I might try it again later though.

Thing is everyone is born with astigmatism apparently but it stabilizes in your early childhood, I didn’t have it when I was little either, but I did have bad scanning habits when I was in my early teens with how I studied lying down with my left eye having to cross over more to see the page, it matches up with my left eye having more astigmatism.

On the genetics issue, the terms ‘partly’ and a ‘small role’ are not entirely contradictory. The research on the role of genetics in many health issues and not only in vision, is in its very early stages. In most cases, it is an interplay between genetic predisposition and environment (including vision habits) and this often means that the condition can be reversed to some extent.

2 Likes

Yeah true, that’s why I said “slightly contradictory”, it just bothers me that most doctors just say “it’s genetics” and basically run you out of the office with that, back when I got my eyes checked a couple years ago I was even told close up work has nothing to do with it, most people would normally just accept that and go wear the glasses all the time and end up with more and more myopia and probably astigmatism over time, in a way my stubbornness payed off here, well sorta…

2 Likes

It could easily be the reason. Your eyes might have got used to receiving stronger lights from above and then when you are tested at the opto without extra lights from the ceiling or when you are in a different room at home or outdoors your eyes are missing the extra lights and show astigmatic blur. Not lens induced, but if you start wearing cyl only and don’t change something around the lights and habits, you’ll likely to end up with a subscription for always increasing glasses with this axis of cyl…

1 Like