Does anyone here practice 'Print Pushing'?

While not strictly Endmyopia-ish, I’m interested in doing some of this now that the weather here is preventing me from pursuing as much outdoor time.

I’m not that interested in the 100% Todd Becker method…I want to hear from us here in Endmyopia who are using it to complement outdoor distance work.

Any tips or guidelines? How do I get started?

2 Likes

Print pushing = using active focus during close-up.

So if you use your differentials correctly (being at the blur horizon) you practice print pushing automatically.

4 Likes

Surely you would want to work just past the blur horizon? I find it difficult to decide just how far past the blur horizon I should work, because for the right eye there is quite a large distance between the blur horizon and loss of legibility - 45 cm to 55 cm = 10 cm. For my left eye this is only about 5 cm with my diffs (and only 3 cm uncorrected). When I do screen work without my diffs I therefore have a bigger range of possibility (no participation by my left eye). With my diffs I am limited by the smaller range in the left eye, and that is why it is tempting to work at the screen without my diffs. By the way, no right lens in my diffs, which give me nearly the same distance to blur, but not the same range of legibility for the two eyes.

right, for me active focus does not kick in unless I have quite a lot of blur. Maybe it’s blur adaptation. But being AT the blur horizon unfortunately does nothing for me

1 Like

But yeah if by that you mean AF up close (reading without glasses too) then I do that

Well, by “being at the blur horizon” I mean that you are: at, behind, before the blur horizon. At least I cannot really stay in one place without moving a few cm for 8 hours :slight_smile: So I think for a longer close-up session you will hover around the blur horizon, sometimes a bit closer (when you focus on things), sometimes a bit farther (you lean back a bit). I don’t think being always behind the blur horizon (so being in blur even with AF) is really beneficial compared to a much more relaxed option (where you see clearly most of the time, but no spasm and you challenge your vision from time to time).

1 Like

Makes sense, and that is why I enjoy the greater usable distance past blur horizon of my right eye which gives me room to move about a fair bit. I feel ‘blocked in’ by my diffs which make this bigger range of my right eye unusable.

For the past ten minutes I have been looking at your post from a distance of 65 cm, uncorrected, in an effort to provoke ciliary spasm, as I want to know what it feels like. All I was conscious of was the fact that I had to read the text more slowly to understand it, instead of slurping up the meaning unconsciously, as I usually do. I am not conscious of ciliary spasm throughout the course of my uncorrected day. I have learned to accept that I can not get clear focus beyond a certain distance, and so don’t even attempt to do so. Blur adapted, you will say, and you will make no progress. Not true, I have made progress in spite of it - so far. I might have to eat my words in the future.

Print pushing, good closeup habits until I can read at an arms length. It really helped to stay more in clarity zone, because before that I tried to stay in blur all the time and it did nothing. My arms length became max 47 cm, I couldn’t read beyond that. Low light, it’s amazing that af even works past the 40 cm mark.

I’ve been trying to AF at close range hovering around the blur horizon but “me eyes” don’t do it. When I do distance AF I can feel the ciliary spasm physically ‘release’, sometimes my eyes tear up. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Print pushing helps me to improve my overall vision. When i spend time on computer at edge of blur i notice better vision.
Aparently we should try find edge of blur (by the minimum possible amount of blur) we can teach our eyes how to focus further.

This topic raises a somewhat interesting question: probably even people with “normal” 20/20 eyesight have blur adaptation to some extent. Many, many people actually have the capacity for handling 20/10 vision and beyond, but it’s likely that when they’re growing up, their eyes don’t fully develop to that level. Probably the visual system just settles for an average 20/16 acuity and some mild myopia/hyperopia as good enough which it doesn’t bother to correct.

It’s hard (sph -1.75 uncorrected) to tell if something is actually blurry or not, because with most apertures there’s no significant difference between something 50 cm and 80 cm away, even though the 80cm image is -0.5 dpt out of focus, it looks the same. So looking at something just past the blur horizon (which is around 50-60cm) won’t do much good, because there’s no stimulus. For some people, it might be the contrary, etc, whatever.
I also wonder: is it truly necessary to be hyperopic to achieve vision beyond 20/20? If that’s not the case, many ODs actually undercorrect us then, right? I wonder how fast myopia could progress if they actually corrected it to maximum sharpness all the time…

1 Like

This happens to me too, but it works the same close up.
The distance I have problem with is what for me is middle distance.
So very close up works and very far away works

exactlly! this is the reason I have trouble doing AF while working on the computer. I either need to be without glasses to create enough blur stimulus but then I have to move to like 20-22cm (only good for smartphone) or I need to look into the far distance to have enough blur

1 Like

I find it useful when considering any kind of lens to think of it like this (correct me if I’m wrong please):

• Let’s suppose you’re a -3.00 wearing -2.50 lenses.
  • If you get differentials with -1.00, you’ll get the same clarity as your normalized gives at infinity, but at 66.7 cm instead.
  • Similarly, if you raise the -2.50 to -2.75 you get the same clarity at infinity as you would get at 4 meters, and vice versa.

Right, this is clear, my problem is that if I wear differentials at the computer which are weak enough to give me enough blur, I get eye strain. If they are stronger I can’t AF due to too much clarity :-\ so I miss out on a large part of my AF potential time during the day :\

maybe I will have to very slowly reduce my differentials so my eyes can take more blur without strain

Well, I also have somewhat of an issue with eye strain on screens. Weirdly enough it only happens with text; all else is fine. maybe text is too static to work properly
What works for me is going at a reasonably blurry distance (about 90 cm) and doing something that requires a lot attention, like gaming. It’s uncomfortable but it works fairly well.
Always try to read on print rather than screens.

I would try to work on that somehow. It sounds like a huge drawback and most likely hinders your improvement.

for sure, but what can I do? besides what I already said, reduce in steps to get to the “useful” differential

You can try to practice reducing the amount of blur needed. Sure, it’s an “exercise like” thing, which is anti-endmyopia, but just as you had to some exercises to find AF, it can also be beneficial and after you reached a better state, it won’t be needed anymore.

My idea would be is find an object and distance where you have enough blur to AF. Then move a bit closer (so less blur), where you most likely still won’t have problem with AF. And so on, and you try to clear less and less blur, which (hopefully) in the long run will result that you can AF with just a small amount of blur too.