Double Vision Dilemma

My double vision dilemma is that I can’t seem to beat it. When it first appeared I resolved it on instinct several times but then winter came. I suspect half of my battle is that I have been holding onto my gains by the skin of my teeth as it is through the winter. But resolving double vision has become harder for me rather than easier. Fixed gaze resolution has been increasingly giving me anxiety. It was bad in the fall and through the holidays and such I got so busy that I basically ignored it and hoped it would sort itself out, big shock it hasn’t… so back on the horse. I am trying to distract myself by giving my peripheral vision more attention, moving, listening to music etc but this is literally the biggest struggle I have had in my EM journey. Sometimes the ghost is above other times under, sometimes it is clearer that the true image and other times it isn’t, sometimes the ghost is all squished and looks more like a shadow. Then there are times it is side by side with the true image making letters appear as though they are in another language (one where the characters have more arms and such). And the times I get it close enough to fuse I get even more anxious to look away. It is so unnatural to stare at a wonky looking image! The doubling occurs beginning at the edge of blur (man I actually miss normal blur) for each focal plane, though it is usually less with normz, possibly because the bubble is so much larger…
Anyways I know I gotta suck it up and power through it but maybe someone else can relate to my experience and feel a little better knowing they aren’t alone. And for those who have succeeded, when it resolves at the normz level does it resolve at diffs and no glasses levels as well?
Positive note I did go from 30 cm at onset to just short of 32 cm so there is that.

Edit: Guess I should mention I even tried with my driving glasses (.25 stronger) DV has even found its way there…

5 Likes

I can’t give much advice other than try to concentrate on the central, “real” object.

My astigmatism came slowly. It’s going away like that too. It does get better.

1 Like

Yea double vision messes with my psyche. Especially the first time. Evan still it throws me off. But I’m working on lowering my astig, and I’m in low diopter range I can see clearly at about 120cm now. Which seems to mean the double vision stage is more obvious.

Anyway, just stare at it. I have never actually been able to fully fuse double vision, I realize now that it was probably just my astig. that was preventing full fusion.

So for me I stare at the double vision for like a week and then I wake up one day and it’s gone. It’s kinda weird but it tends to just snap clear one day like my brain finally figures it. It’s a cycle but it means your eyes are actually changing. So it’s a good sign.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m trying to buckle down and really work on it. I don’t think this is astigmatism, it moves around too much, but hopefully it’ll be the same and all fall together.

2 Likes

Yeah - winter’s rough. I finally had some luck thanks to Dave’s post via his interview with Jake, and applying it to DV. Combining the mindset of relaxing with taking two weeks to formally take the time to spend 30 minutes: not trying to resolve DV but allowing my visual system to, in a controlled setup (i.e. close up, fixed distance, nice lighting, good contrast), and then going for an outdoor walk.

These videos, good reminders, also helped.

What I found was that if I tried to hang on to the clear image once it resolved, it sometimes got blurred/doubled up again. However, if I kept relaxing, allowing my system to work the way it knows how and not get in the way, not try to grab hold of anything, then the image would continue clearing up. When I’m out walking and I start thinking “Oh, I should totally be able to clear it up - clear up meow!” I would start to put effort into seeing and getting tense, which as @Dtnsg points out, is exactly the opposite of what gets you clear vision. Failing to relax continually, I then end up in a perpetual world of blur and multiple images.

When things started fusing more quickly, I finally realized a higher correction earlier on would have made things way easier in the dark of winter. (And yeah, what correction gave me no blur horizon in summer would have been already properly challenging in winter.) Gives the system an easier puzzle to solve. Finally put a lux meter app on a much newer smartphone and realized just how bad things are on an overcast day.

The other part of it is that it’s super hard to resolve ciliary spasm with so little light. So when I’ve been working more and hiding inside because it’s miserable outside, I know the muscles are locked up, and then the DV is extra wild and unshakable. So my goals until it starts getting brighter are just to take it easy, allow my system to do what it knows how to do, stop getting in its way and making demands of it, give it the correction it needs, keep the outdoor habits going etc etc etc and enjoy the partly-sunny days when they happen! I’m not good at this, but I sure see better anytime I follow it :laughing:

4 Likes

It often happens after a lot of fairly quick reductions, or just cumulatively a lot of focal plane change in a relatively shorter period of time.

If you add to that less light (or more close-up time, less good habits, etc), then it can get tricky. Normally you’d just take it as a sign that the biology needs time to adapt and not do any reductions till the double vision has resolved. Normal, all good, no big deal. But if the stimulus / strain / good habits routine is disrupted, then it may become a bit less productive.

One option often is to just step back to the previous correction, if that largely resolves the double vision then hang out there till the circumstances are better again.

Of course other things also possibly going on. Above is just the fairly common scenario.

7 Likes

Thanks. All taken into consideration. My last normalized reduction was two weeks before it set in. I did recently try using the stronger glasses as mentioned (I use them for night driving) but I found them disagreeable in daytime conditions. In my case I am reasonably sure my worst issue is avoiding actively resolving it, the anxiety made me really inclined to ignore it and hope for the best. I just gotta keep plugging away at it. My ADHD mind seems to need me to be drumming and nodding to music while watching the perceived movement in the peripherals just to keep my gaze fixed but if I can keep kids out of my line to the chart for long enough I might be onto something :joy:.
Up till this it has all come relatively easy to me so guess I was due for some gum in the works. Anyways I’m doubling down on double vision and determined to get through this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have to keep reminding myself that my vision has been awful for decades. It’s just that now it’s differently bad like this, and later it will be bad differently again, but overall it’s so much better.

3 Likes

That is fair, at least this variety of bad doesn’t give me splitting headaches. So yay for the silver linning :smiley:

1 Like

I feel for ya. Im in a similar situation lately except after my double finally vision resolved itself i started getting ciliary spasms. I’m torn between staying the course or taking a step back because a stronger script may make the spasms more frequent. Either way I have to remind myself that I’ve lowered my cyl from -4.25 to -2.75 inside of a year.

2 Likes

When I get a little frustrated with my recalcitrant left eye, I use a bit of gallows humour - aren’t I lucky that I’m not blind.
This is a bit unicornish :unicorn: ( :horse:), but feeling and expresing gratitude for what we have, even our ‘defective’ vision, is a powerful mental tool.
This reminds me - thank you Jake, and all the others on the forum, for helping me to get better vision in the right eye. :face_with_monocle: :grinning:

4 Likes

Hi Reannon,
Same here :slightly_smiling_face: I can relate to everything you have written. DV is bothering me for the last 3 months and it is a struggle sometimes with very slow improvements. Staring at objects for more than 1 minute is difficult :wink:

2 Likes

This is why I love this community it is so good to know I am not alone. I knew I would encounter DV at some point, though I was under the impression it wouldn’t be till I got lower (don’t remember where I got that impression) but I still wasn’t prepared for how difficult it would be to deal with. I don’t know anyone personally who would have a clue what I am taking about either. So grateful for this community. :smiley:

3 Likes

Well it appears the “other things going on” is my issue. I came into a mess of health stuff and it has been spectacularly bad for my EM journey, and every time I think I’m getting on top of it, I get another set back :frowning:. Hopefully I can get this mess resolved enough to start making progress on my vision again. This is not the one year EM anniversary update I was hoping for but it is where I am at…

2 Likes

Hello my fellow double visioners!

I am wondering if anyone here has the same thing that I have. Only and only when I try to focus on a small part of a sign/letter that is more say approx. 2 meters away, I get binocular double vision. It really started several years ago, and my latest prescription had fixed it somewhat. Now, that I am reducing (back to former prescription), this is really driving me nuts.

Quick stares are nicely fused, also near distance is fused. But, say, I am trying to focus on 20/25 line on snellen to an individual letter, what the left eye and right see don’t fuse (yet).

Yes, I realize this is probably a nerve, neurological issue where the brain is struggling to fuse images together - possibly becuase glasses. As the DV when focusing on distance (well, very blurry distance, I am -6.75 / - 5.50 plus - 1 CYL) without glasses or lower powered glasses - it seems less prominent,

if anyone had the same issue, and got it resolved, woudl be great to hear.

Thanks - Chuck

Sometimes (especially these days) it can also be a spasm issue apparently. Especially if no focal plane changes happened recently, but the screen time has been creeping up.

“Easy” fix there is just observing that and reducing some of the recreational screen time.

2 Likes