Dropped astigmatism correction too soon? Need it back?

Hi, all. A strategic question.
I learned about Endmyopia in December 2020. At that time my glasses prescription was:
R: -6.00; -0.75 Cyl
L: -5.50; -0.50 Cyl
My contacts prescription was the same, just without the Cyl correction.
My glasses and contacts were per the prescription.
After educating myself on Endmyopia for a bit (but not nearly enough:), I got new glasses and contacts with the Sph correction for both my glasses and my contacts lowered by 0.25 and without the Cyl correction on my glasses. So, my current glasses and contacts (which I got in December 2020) are:
R: -5.75; no Cyl
L: -5.25; no Cyl
I have been seeing clearly in both my glasses and contacts without a Cyl correction. No double vision/blur. I have also been using differentials without Cyl correction, and they have been working fine.
After having educated myself more on the proper steps of reducing prescription complexity (not necessarily a good idea to lower Sph and drop Cyl correction at the same time, as I had done!), I got my vision checked again today, and my today’s prescription was:
Glasses:
R: -6.00; -1.00 Cyl
L: -5.25; -0.50 Cyl
Contacts:
R: -5.50; -0.75 Cyl
L: -5.00; no Cyl
So, with all that info mentioned, here is my question:
Should I get new glasses with the proper Cyl correction and just reduce the Sph correction by 0.25? So, this would be:
R: -5.75; -1.00 Cyl
L: -5.00; -0.50 Cyl
Or, since the no Cyl correction has been working out OK, should I just keep going without it?
Thanks to whoever made it through, and I hope it all made sense. Thanks for any help.

1 Like

Short answer is yes. Just follow the advice and reduce in the smallest possible increments.

Biggest mistake newbies make is reducing too much, too soon, or reducing CYL and SPH at the same time (which you mentioned).

1 Like

If no cyl is really OK then I’ll say it should not be added back.

4 Likes

I would not make any changes from your December 2020 Rx. If you have good habits and practicing AF without any struggles then continue on. Although it has been 6 months and no improvements? Sometimes the CYL will work itself out and if you’re really struggling then add it back in otherwise with your next reduction just reduce the SPH. CYL takes more work to clear up than SPH.

I just did a CYL reduction in March and although I can AF it’s still not as clear as I would like. But it’s really about how clear can you see before adding back in the CYL or leaving it alone.

1 Like

Thanks, all. A quick update:
I decided to go to another optometrist, to get another vision measurement - this time without divulging my current prescription to them. Just to see if they would recommend astigmatism correction starting with a blank page, so to speak. What this second optometrist came up with is my current prescription, but without the astigmatism correction. She said I did not “respond” well to it (meaning, I saw worse with it). So - I am going with no astigmatism correction.
I guess, this is also to illustrate the value of getting a second opinion from another optometrist. Gives you more info.

5 Likes

great to hear!

2 Likes

Deja-vu already read this on Facebook :joy:

I mean yeah… but also you will learn to trust your own assessment of your vision more as you go. I would think this is more of a demonstration of why we should not blindly trust the opto measurements (pun entirely intended)

3 Likes

Indeed! I am actually beginning to think that the Endmyopia journey is good training grounds for life at large - learning to listen to yourself, as opposed to what others (including the so called experts) tell you. Cheers.

2 Likes

Red pill moment. Now you cannot make this unknown to yourself. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes