EM Lessons Learned

Hello everyone, after 1.5 years of EM I would like to share my experiences and lessons learned with you. These are MY experiences, it is neither right nor wrong. Form your own opinion :slight_smile:

• It works and still there will be phases where doubts will arise, that’s okay and is part of the EM journey.
  • No matter how much theory you absorb, the main thing is to get practical experience and get to know your eyes properly
  • Enjoy the journey, don’t rush. Even if it takes 5 years, you will still live for many decades afterwards
  • Do not limit your quality of life, find ways around it. If you like reading books or being on your cell phone, do it, just put it far enough away from you and take regular breaks
  • For me, rule number 1 has been since Day 1: Avoiding Hyperopic Defocus: Be sure to take your Normalized off when you are doing close-up
  • Tell others about EM but don’t expect them to care as much as you do. Many people with bad vision I have told about EM had no interest and that’s absolutely OKAY, they have other priorities
  • Go out, go out, go out! You need distance vision for long term improvement.
  • Don’t try to do everything perfectly, it will just take too much energy out of you, rather go with the 80/20 principle and enjoy life to the fullest.
  • Nutrition is certainly important, but honestly I don’t eat super healthy and yet I have had very good results. Do not complicate it
  • Don’t try to understand everything to the last detail, it cost me a lot of strength and energy in the beginning and created a lot of doubts. Just be happy that it works and enjoy your improvements.
  • Dare to go up even with the diopters if you realize that you were too fast. Your eyes will thank you!
  • You will see worse in the dark or after a long day and that is totally OKAY. I’m sure I’ll need glasses in the dark for a long time, but I enjoy my good vision in daylight. Don’t think “Oh I see so bad in the dark” but “My vision is great in daylight”. It’s all about positive thinking!

Keep it UP :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

SHARE YOUR LESSONS LEARNED WITH THE COMMUNITY :ok_hand:

15 Likes

Though you have a year’s seniority on me, I find that your experience is remarkably like my own (except for the diet part; I’m a convinced whole-food plant-based guy). Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

Amen, I agree with all your points. Massive fan of stripping EM down to basic necessities of what you actually need to fix your eyes instead of analysis paralysis which I see too much.

2 Likes

Coincidentally, just after typing that, I see that today’s New York Times has yet another article minimizing genetics in a primary health issue. (For example: “The researchers found that what people ate had a more powerful impact on the makeup of their microbiomes than their genes” and “Identical twins were found to share just 34 percent of the same gut microbes, while people who were unrelated shared about 30 percent of the same microbes.”) The old, facile claim that myopia is a product of our genes is going to be increasingly isolated by science.

4 Likes

The final paragraph of the article is interesting too (kind of sounds like EM.)

“We think there are lots of small changes that people can make that can have a big impact on their health that might be mediated through the microbiome,”

Calling something “genetic” makes it seem like you got stuck with it at birth and that it’s beyond your control. What you do actually makes a difference. Thanks for sharing the article @dirkva. Unpaywalled Foods That May Lead to a Healthier Gut and Better Health - The New York Times

Great post, @Baldy !

1 Like

Great post and perspective, thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

This is great. I went through all those lessons myself and let me add to this,

1. Outdoor time is super important. You need to practice AF at a distance if you want to improve distance vision.The more time I spent outside the quicker my improvement. Take advantage of sunny days, there’s a reason why reductions slow down in the winter.

2. Remember to check measurements for each eye separately before reducing so that they are challenged equally. This will prevent vision from lagging in one eye and becoming blur adapted.

3. Be patient with astigmatism reduction. Reducing CYL is a totally different ballgame compared to reducing SPH. Each person’s experience for CYL reduction is unique and you have to go through it to figure out which works best for your eyes.

I’ve been doing EM for 3 years as a high myope and reduced 4 diopters so far. It’s super exciting to know that your habits paid off when you do reductions. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

@Baldy great post
@Candacew.wong good additional points

One point I’d like to add:
Do not chase the experience of “clearing blur” nonstop. Let go of the idea that you always have to introduce new and new blur challenges. Make sure you also just enjoy full clarity (without thinking about your vision, about corrections you are wearing or about EM).

4 Likes