EM working just fine!

Just got back from optometrist and got a pretty good reduction on my eyesight.
R -2.00 C -1.25 Add 1.50 2016
R -0.75 C -1.25 Add 1.75 today visus 1.10
L -3.50 C -1.75 Add 1.50 2016
L -2.50 C -1.00 Add 1.75 today visus 1.10
The optometrist also let me try without cilinders and without correction there was a bit to much blur to my liking so I ended up with
R -1.25 and L -2.75 visus 0.95
I decided to go without cilinders because my left eye has made a lot of progress on the cilinder part the last four months and I didn’t want to mess it up again.

When we were talking about the differentials she said without cilinders I would need one plus and one minus glass but I decided to take a raincheck because that is another focal plane to deal with. I haven’t seen this variety yet on the forum and as I am fairly new to all of this I wanted to ask about your ideas on this matter.

11 Likes

Very nice results, congratulations. So you have gone with a bit of spherical equivalent to replace the cylinder correction, and it will be interesting to hear how this works out for you.
Diffs become a tricky issue when there is still a diopter gap, and one eye would move into + lens territory. I suppose you cannot see well enough yet to do without diffs altogether. You could consider using diffs to initiate an equalising process - reducing for the weaker eye and having a plano lens for the stronger one. I tried this, but I found the quality of the plano lens very poor, took it out, and tried out one-lensed differentials (I have a very big diopter gap). This could prepare you for an equalising step in your next norms.

2 Likes

Thank you Hannie. I like your idea on closing the diopter gap. I can see well enough without diffs (thanks to my blur tolerance :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) but I’m sure it would be useful to have one. So I plan to evaluate after a couple of weeks wearing the normalised.

1 Like

I suppose that depends on how much close work you do. As you might have guessed, I am unlikely to try to talk people into glasses they do not really need. :wink:

I noticed that and so far that worked well for me also. Close work I do a bit more now I have discovered this forum :grinning:.

This is my case as well, but I take very frequent breaks, and while I am thinking , and typing my replies,.I look over my laptop into a very deep landscape.

1 Like

What is “add” and “visus”?

visus The expression describes the value of vision, the visus , for each eye.

add .This is used for bifocal or progressive lenses, to prescribe lower correction for close vision in the bottom half of the lens.

This may help
https://www.aclens.com/How-to-Read-Your-Eyeglass-Prescription

Anna’s opto uses the decimal scale for visual acuity. There are several, so this could be confusing for those using the 20/20 scale. Here is a table for conversion
https://www.nidek-intl.com/visual_acuity.html. So the correction prescribed for her is for about 20/15 vision - a common practice.

2 Likes

An update on the journey so far.
I decided for my first differentials to see if I could close the diopter gap. I ordered R 0.00 and L -1.25. I can’t use them for reading books. I use them for practice sessions 3m - 8m.

When my first normalized arrived I saw 20/10 with them. Perfect for driving in winter but no blur in sight.
I ordered new glasses R -1.25 L -2.00. (Kept R -1.25 because of closing the gap and dropped L -0.75.) When they arrived I could see 20/40 with the left eye. These glasses I use for driving and sometimes for walking. It gives good opportunity for AF.
I usually wear my glasses ca. 2 hours daily.
I improved fast and saw with the corrected Left eye 20/20 on the Snellen.
My right eye measurements are between -1 and -0.75. It is very stable and crispy clear.
My left eye measured between -2 and -1.5. Then three weeks ago progress stalled. The centimeters went up and I could barely read the 20/20 line on the Snellen. I wondered if I had been too daring dropping 0.75. Fortunately last week, after a whole week hiking and wearing my glasses for a longer time, it went down again.
The 20/20 is very sharp, no ghosting and one red coloured line.
I ordered my next reduction. R -1 and L - 1.75.

I don’t miss the correction for astigmatism (yet?). I have not noticed any double vision in my naked right eye. I find it strange. The last 10 years it was in every prescription, always R -1.25 cilinder.
In the naked left eye I do get a messy picture but it clears and moves enough to keep my trust in the process.

3 Likes

Nice to read of your progress. You are lucky to see no ghosting, in spite of uncorrected astigmatism. I also have a messy picture with my naked left eye, but with binocular vision I hardly have any ghosting, and I have learned to live with what I do notice when I pay attention.

1 Like

Thank you. I am very grateful for my luck. So amazed how my eyes are responding. I also find that binocular vision gives hardly any ghosting. But I won’t avoid monocular vision. By closing the diopter gap I do a lot of patching. I must be careful to not overdo it though.

1 Like

It’s been some time since I posted. My goal was closing a diopter gap and I spent the winter wearing L -1.75, R -1.00 for driving and L -1.25, R 0.00. I kept on exercising the left eye but it got strained easily and I wasn’t closing anything.

Could it be that the left eye was to much corrected and the right eye to little? In both glasses the right eye sees definately clearer. I wondered if my left eye had become blur adapted and also what strategy would keep it stimulated without putting strain.
I choose to correct left eye more and go uncorrected with right.

Right now I am wearing L-2.00, R-0.00 and it felt strange the first hour or so. My distance vision on Snellen is not changed compared to my former driving glasses, but while driving I need to be closer to see crispy clear. My guess is because left eye reacts slower.
I will keep this up for a while to find out if that is the case.

2 Likes

You were wearing wearing L -1.75, R -1.00 for driving and L -1.25, R 0.00 otherwise and now changed to L-2.00, R-0.00? May I ask why you increased the -0.75D difference to a -2.00D difference? And what do you see on the Snellen with L-2.00, R-0.00?
It just sounds very strange to me…

The left eye needs to clear astigmatism but using both eyes or only the right eye seems to make no difference in vision. Now I want to see how the left eye responds to being the dominant eye.

I immediately see 20/15 indoors on the big Snellen with the left eye. With the right eye I immediately see 20/25. This wasn’t the case when I started wearing this, but the left eye released a lot of strain I wasn’t aware off.
And yes it sounds strange but I want to see if this keeps up, working the left eye down till it is equal with
the right eye in centimeters.

Sounds like that -2 is a bit much at this point… I would think you would be more comfortable (as would your visual cortex) losing some on that side to get your eyes to see more even at 20/25 each. Or even more shooting for 20/30 with the Left so you can work on that gap. Quick tip here that might help with equalizing that gap as well: Tag-In Method - YouTube

1 Like

It is definitely an interesting experiment. While I understand your “why”, I’d be very much afraid that my eyes would not become dominant just easy going. But if you feel the right eye releasing a lot of strain that sounds good.

I wear equal lenses or equal no corrections. But on bad days I can have anything up to a 0.75D difference between my eyes. This is what I do usually when the non-dominant eye falls behind:

2 Likes

Thank you for the link. I will definately try that out when I am putting correction for the right eye again.
You’re right -2 is excessive. With the strain gone I measured 60 cms so I’m wearing -1.75 today. My right eye measures 100 cm, still 40 cm to go with left.
I keep to my strategy for now and will see how it works out. For now the astigmatism seems a lot less.

[/quote]

I wear equal lenses or equal no corrections. But on bad days I can have anything up to a 0.75D difference between my eyes. This is what I do usually when the non-dominant eye falls behind:

[/quote]

I had no idea that a bad day could be that bad :sweat_smile:
I am sure I will use your tip a lot.

1 Like

Well, I have a post, an anti guide on how to lose 0.5D anytime easily :rofl:

https://community.endmyopia.org/t/from-no-glasses-to-20-20-last-diopter-land/12919/63

2 Likes

Haha I remember reading your thread back in October and taking away to compare sight with AF and without. Also to stop obsessing over the improvement of left eye. So your writings are exactly what inspired me to experiment inviting Left to step up it’s game.
Will reread again.

2 Likes