Endmyopia On The 21andsensory Podcast

Very much enjoyed being a guest on Emily’s show! :heart:

About:

Welcome to the 21andsensory Podcast! My name is Emily and I have Sensory Processing Disorder and I’m Autistic. I’m a Graphic Designer and Illustrator in the UK and this podcast is mainly me rambling about all things sensory processing and autism related but also I chat to some super lovely neurodivergent people from all walks of life!

The endmyopia episode:

7 Likes

It’s kind of funny (to me) that Emily seemed to “get it” a lot faster, and was a lot more “on top of things” than the typical podcast host. Either she’s done a brilliant job of combatting the autism and sensory process disorder or it’s actually helping her (in which case calling it a disorder seems a little odd.)

On a lot of the other podcasts the hosts (from time to time) clearly don’t understand what’s just been discussed. “I’m just going to throw my glasses away.”

She did a great interview!

5 Likes

I have a vague plot forming of inviting all our gracious podcast hosts on our own show to have them talk about the most interesting revelations they’ve had talking to guests. Maybe this could also be a topic.

5 Likes

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution. If autism would have been a trait without any evolutionary advantage, then it would not exists anymore (or would be much-much more rare, especially if we take the whole autism spectrum with high-functioning autistics). For example there is a theory that ancient timekeepers / calendar makers (both need complex mathematics) were autistic, and not necessarily high-functional: Were the Timekeepers of the Ancient World Autistic? | Psychology Today

2 Likes

I’ve just listened to this podcast, and I think it’s a fantastic beginner material. There is nothing bullshit there, no ads, no misunderstanding from the host, sound quality is perfect from both side. And the way the method is introduced seems to be (new and) great to me. I really liked the sequence of:

1. myopia is caused by near work
  2. only small changes (stimulus) needed
  3. active focus is just the normal behavior of the eye
  4. introduction to measuring
  5. introductory sequence of the method for reasonable low myopic people:
    5.1 only use your glasses when you need them
    5.2 took off your glasses on nice relaxing days when you feel for it (ie.: do zero diopter reset sometimes) until you miss them (then put them back)
    5.3 Then after some reasonable time try after that day put on a 0.25 D weaker glasses and watch what happens.

It’s an absolutely fantastic relaxed and easy way of introducing the whole method. The only thing is missing is differentials, but honestly if someone gets the things from above it is not hard to explain that small additional step for people having higher correction than -2.00 D (instead of “only use your glasses when you need them” you have to just “use your differentials when you don’t need the full ones”).

I really liked the host, not over-enthusiastic but was really into the topic, no ads, she had clear understanding about the topic, but still asked great questions and did great job at continuing the flow of the conversation. Honestly she is the first host ever for whom I’m considering of listening to her other episodes too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think many people here on the forum (including me) missed this relaxing approach and hence the struggle. At least for me it was definitely “Yay, endmyopia for the win, now I will save (my) world by getting rid of my glasses! Reduce glasses, gogogogo!”. Instead of the “yeah, just get some rest for your eyes, experience a bit, and see what happens”. Aka:

Just substitute “Type A” with “random Endmyopia forum member” and Type B with “@jakey”, and the “Flower Smelling Champion” with “Normalized Reducer Champion” :smiley:

3 Likes

I have to admit, I never listen to any of interviews with me. It’s too cringe to self observe.

So it’s super useful to get this feedback, know which direction to point people to for a good episode to explore. I do remember really enjoying the chat with Emily though, too. She seemed very relaxed and engaging at the same time.

3 Likes