Endmyopia On The Primal Blueprint Podcast

So we did The Primal Blueprint Podcast.

:point_right:t2: Jake Steiner: Curing Your Myopia With A Graceful, Gradual And Natural Approach | Primal Blueprint Blog

If you’re not familiar, Mark’s Daily Apple, Mark Sisson’s blog from way back in the day … turned into an empire of health ideas and food and things that he just recently sold to Kraft Foods … :zipper_mouth_face::joy:.

Mark’s also been on Joe Rogan’s wee show (making him the third or so podcast connection we’ve done so far, all just one removed from the big dog).

His podcast has a few hosts, and this one was done with our good friend Brad Kearns who you may have already heard about when we did his other, own, main podcast a while back. A favor as it was, otherwise we’d have been scheduled many more moons into the future.

In the ongoing loops and circles to befriend everyone in the space of defying mainstream health wisdoms, this is a pretty good milestone. :grimacing::+1:t2:

Comment, like, share, add your voice of approval to these appearances please!

And stay tuned! Ole Jakey’s personal contact list still has some really big shows in it. Plenty of connections held back, respecting the still sophomoric levels of our podcast guest skills. Scale up slowly and gradually, making mistakes not too spectacularly on big stages, learn as we go.

16 Likes

Very nice. I appreciate your speaking skills and self expression. I wish I could express myself so smoothly and pleasingly without jamming the thoughts.

2 Likes

tenor

1 Like

Excellent work @jakey. The explanations were clean and concise and the host seems to be genuinely convinced by your work. This is a big opportunity for exposure.

1 Like

🙇‍♂️

True. And name dropping for other shows of similar size and scope. :grimacing:

@jakey I think you are missing an update that you could add to your usual script around the $2 curved plastic.

The big retail chains have realised the threat from cheap online sellers and responded to them with introducing really cheap glasses. Not sure if you are aware but “Zennis” appeared in almost every European country (from Eastern to Western European ones - I have unfinished orders in English, French, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, German and a couple of Slavic languages). So you don’t have to order from Chinese websites directly and deal with customs clearance and feel slightly illegal about it - the retailers will do these parts for you.

So now in Europe the majority of high street big retail chains have glasses offered for max €25, too, and this price includes(!) the single vision lenses (often with anti scratch coating, but always without anti reflective coating). The traditional high street optos also allow ordering online.
This is their only way to keep customers since sharing prescriptions with clients and letting them buy glasses online is allowed in more and more countries. Obviously what online retailers do is that they ask for prescriptions not older than 2 years, but this is just transferring the responsibility to the customer. And what high street retailers do is that they share everything except for the PD hoping their glasses will always feel more spot on with clarity.
What both the high street and the online retailers do is that they get the customers attracted by the cheap price but during the ordering process they keep offering extras. Extras for the lenses*, extra second pair, extra guarantees, etc. And also before you finalise your order you will see other options and most probably choose something not from the cheapest after all. Who can resist 15 offers without feeling bad and cheap?

What Zenni still remains special about is the “no questions asked” even if ordering 5 different pairs of glasses. But ordering one pair of glasses without having to show an actual prescription (just ticking that your prescription matches the order) usually passes OK. We are at a point in time when nobody assumes you would tweak the opto prescription and even less that you would try to measure your own eyesight. But the price drop is unstoppable now due to the hundreds of online retailers.

*Extras for lenses: my top 2 favourite ones are the screen friendly and the driving friendly lenses. I asked the optician and I was told the difference was the following. The screen friendly has a bit of a plus (e.g. you order-2.5D but actually get -2.25 or -2.0 they couldn’t tell exactly) and a mm or just a half is deducted from the PD even for low myopes. You can’t see this in your order, it will be adjusted during manufacturing if you tick the option. The driver friendly has a bit of an additional minus sph and a mm or so is added to the PD even for low myopes. I now heard this from 2 different optos in 2 different countries.

4 Likes

Love this! WIll be listening to this podcast on my next outdoor walks.

What are these unfinished orders? :grimacing:

That’s interesting about retailers. I continue to get more out of the loop on what happens in the world, being ongoingly in my tiny corner here in Asia. Thanks for the update, making me not look totally out of touch.

(Another podcast interview this evening also, and then four more in the coming weeks. :yum:)

3 Likes

I like the new “anti-fatigue lens” ideas the lens makers are coming up with, but it really bugs me that they’re hiding the ball and not telling people that they’re adding in an extra half diopter of plus or minus in parts of the lens. I guess it’s too technical and most people just want the magic solution so 99% of the customers don’t have clue what it means if they’ve inserted an extra 0.4D of plus or minus in part of the lens.

2 Likes

Yes, they do these “extra add-ons” and you don’t know why their glasses feel a bit sharper / better than the same ordered by you online. Now that they are obliged to share the result of the measurements with you, this remains their only way to convince you that it is worth going to their physical shops and once you are there surely you cannot pass on 15 extra options all designed for your comfort, for your precious eyes?

European equivalents of Zenni. I googled “glasses with diopters online shop” in each languge and started orders on webpages ending in .co.uk, .fr, .nl, .it, .es, .de etc. I selected the cheapest frame I added standard lenses with moderate myopia and a bit of cylinder passed on all extras and all pages took me to the step of “register and pay” with final amounts ˘between €18 and 25 and just a slightly higher for webshops in Eastern Europe. Only asking a tick in the box that the selected values were matching my valid prescription but no upload needed (obviously it depends on the country if they trust you or will ask for a copy later…)
All online webpages have this price range and consequently the high street / shopping centre optos also introduced their corresponding budget offers - 5 frames on a stand near the entrance.
So nothing comparable to the earlier min. €250++ prices. Neither online, nor in the shop.

My point for the future podcasts:
Optos are no longer presenting the lenses as expensive but the narrative moved to: “selecting the right glasses needs our professional measurement and our professional advice on what add-ons to take.” So people can say “I could have been offered really cheap glasses by the nice opto but due to my special eye condition I had to select extras and those were expensive”. Who doesn’t want to feel unique? and who doesn’t need a special condition to use as an excuse not to try any natural improvements?
Next stage in a few years will be that optos will start saying that the vision deterioration of min. 0.25D per year is due to the low quality of glasses ordered online. I’m not worried about their revenue just yet.

(Edit:)
Physical opto shops had a monopoly for a long time. It is similar to flight tickets. In the previous century, my first 2-hour flight within Europe cost me a month of salary by a national airline. Before covid a cheap ticket within Europe started from the price of 3 coffees. But obviously if you add all kinds of options the final price will be a lot higher… This is the same direction the optos are moving now: “It’s not us but your special needs and requirements that make it so expensive…”

2 Likes

My husband always gets sucked into upsells!! I am like what is wrong with you ?! Haven’t you ever heard the word no? Not me, I don’t get upsold I don’t even let them finish before a firm “no, I am all set.”

This is true. I have a friend who thought her correction was far too complicated for an online retailer to fill accurately because that is what she was told. All fairness her correction is complex (OD: -3 with -4cyl OS: -1.75 with -4.25cyl) but the shifting narrative to:

kind of makes me sick!

5 Likes

A woman with principles :+1: :blush:

3 Likes

I got so disgusted trying to buy stuff at retail that I ended up just going full DIY and sourcing everything myself.

Some of the fancy options are nice but I don’t want to spend $875 to find out.

Makes a lot of sense. Also funny how far removed this side of the world is from that. You can definitely spend hundreds in some high end mall optic shop, but also go to a regular optometrist hand get $30 glasses made. The incomes aren’t that high, a bit less obscuring of the cost of things yet.

Super much appreciate these insights on how things are evolving. Especially since I get asked about guying glasses in Europe a lot!

4 Likes

Nice! I’ve been following Mark for many years. So glad you were a guest! He has quite a large audience.

2 Likes

Seeing interview on Mark’s site brought me here. I don’t care for Kerns as an interviewer but it was a good listen.

5 Likes

:joy: Brad does have his own sort of … high energy thing going on. I remember first podcast we ever did together he came on video chat while still on a run with his dog. The man is a character!

He did sort out almost all of his own lens dependence, both for close-up and distance. Most podcasters just go “hmm yea that’s interesting”, Brad actually went and did it.

Glad you listened to the episode, Teryl! :wink:

3 Likes